Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

i started weaning our 5.5 month old son, george, around 2 weeks ago.  so far he's just had baby rice, carrot and pear (very small amounts).  he is loving his food but i'm taking it really steady as he has become constipated since he started on solids.  he's having a poo every other day (normal for him) but they are hard and quite a small amount.  he is also straining quite a bit.  i've tried giving boiled water (slightly warm), orange juice, prune juice and an actual prune, steamed and pureed but nothing has worked that well.  i'm confused as to whether i should increase the amount of food he is having despite the constipation or should i carry on with small amounts, if so for how long?  also does anyone have any effective remedies?  any advice gratefully received!

thanks so much
caroline

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
W was the same

My best advice is just to go slow with small amounts and give him time for his body to learn how to cope with it, but make sure he's getting enough water.

W's poo sorted itself out without giving him anything within a couple of weeks and then settled to - TMI - 2 soft poos twice a day

x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
My ds was the same and I really battled to get him to drink water. When I said to the HV about it she said to slosh some in his solids. I did end up giving him a daily 'dose' of prune juice - around a teaspoonful or so on his breakfast. It took about a week to take effect but then he had an almighty clearout!

Chux xx

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi
thanks so much for the replies!  george is getting better now with his poo's.  i too am finding it hard to get him to drink water but am putting some in his food and giving him some prune puree every other day.  seems to be doing the trick, fingers crossed.
thanks again
caroline

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
glad I found this thread as having been weaning k for about a week she has had normal poos til today when she had a more solid one and it was much darker.  She poos about once every 36 hours anyway but the one just passed was quite small.  She is having formula with her food (35-50g per feed of food) (about 8-900ml I think will be average as taking about 150ml milk feeds x4 then about 80-100 on her 2 food feeds.  She doesnt seem to want water though do you think the milk will be enough liquid?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I think the baby rice is pretty good at adding to constipation...don't worry, when they are mostly eating fruit and veg you'll have lovely poos to look forward to!!!

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
as last night and this morning proved... still less mushy than usual but LOADS  ;D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi all

just wanted to add a quick tip here.  when george was constipated i gave him orange segments to suck on - not only did they seem to help with the constipation but they were really soothing for his gums when his teething was bothering him.  he loved it!  i still do it although he's not constipated, for the comfort factor. 

caroline

1 - 8 of 8 Posts