Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I appreciate this problem is not entirly pregnancy relate but please could you give me some advise if you can??

After being off work for a year now after an industrial accident and 2 opperations on my wrist to try and correct the problem, my employer has today written to me formally terminating my contract.  After discussing this with him last week he informed me that this would be with a notice period but not paid notice.  I have looked through loads of info on the net and can only find information that says it should be a paid notice period??  The whole thing really messes with my head and I'm so confussed as well as upset.

I'mm 25 weeks pregnant now after diui and know I should be gratefull for that, but i'm so frustrated with this whole work issue, it making me feel very down.    I do have a legal case against them regarding the accident but they cant help me with the employment issuees arrising today

Please can you give me some advice??

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi again

I should have added to the above maybe.... I have posted in work issues prior to this but I am unsure where to post this time.

Sorry if this is not the right place.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dear Eli

Thank you for your post.  I assume that you have been working as an employee.  In this case you will be entitled to be provided by your employer with notice of the termination of your employment, which will be the greater of either the statutory minimum notice period or the notice period provided under your employment contract.

Generally speaking employees receive a paid notice period.  However, there are odd provisions in employment legislation which enable employers not to have to pay notice in certain circumstances.  This situation arises where an employee has a contractual notice period which is greater than the statutory minimum notice period by at least a week.  In this situation during the notice period, for example, if the employee is unable to work due to sickness (as in your case) the employer is not under a responsibility to pay for what would have been the normal working hours (though SSP would still apply).

You should look into whether your situation is an unusual one (where you would not entitled to paid notice), or whether you have a claim against your employer for payment for your notice period.  If you require further free initial information or assistance you could contact ACAS (08457 47 47 47) or your local Citizens Advice Bureau who should be able to provide you with some more detailed information.

I hope that you are able to resolve the situation with your employer.

Kind regards

Louise Gibson
[email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts