Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Control line getting darker on FRER 6 weeks pregnant

19K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  hopefulmum2014 
#1 ·
Hi I am currently 6w 1d pregnant after my 2nd natural frozen embryo transfer.

I have a scan booked for Wednesday but have been taking pregnancy tests every few days for reassurance. 

On Monday I did a FRER and the control line was hardly noticeable and test line dark, I read this is cus test line pulling all the die.  I also did a clear blue digital which said 3+ weeks.

Yesterday I did another FRER the test line was still as dark but control line much more noticeable, and did one this morning and it’s even more noticeable.  I am going out of my mind with worry especially as I was feeling tired from Saturday but Wednesday that stopped. I did a clear blue this morning and it said 3+ weeks.  I had a MMC in September from my 1st fresh IVF so I am just so worried I dont know what to do, any advice or thoughts I would really appreciate xxx

#2 ·
Maybe different batches with different amounts of dye in them or alternatively it could be the “hook effect” you can dilute your urine with water and try another test, can’t remember the exact amount if water to use, you can google the hook effect  and it will explain it in more detail.

#3 ·
I personally didn't find first repsonse ones that great for the line getting darker.  I ended up using the digital clearblue and the non digital clear blue as no mistaking that dark cross.  I also had days early on I felt incredibly tired but also days I had loads of energy and off out shopping all day or doing housework.  The fatigue came and went with me my whole pregnancy and those very early days especially.

Congratulations hun.  I understand completely how it's scary to get your hopes up as I had a miscarriage just before falling pregnant with Noah but it's good your lines have got darker and digital still saying 3+        Wishing you all the best for Wednesday but I think it's sounding positive xx

#4 ·
Thank you so much for respond ladies. 

The strange thing is the test line is staying the same darkness and I don't think it could get darker.  The test I did today were from a new FRER pack and the control line was so much darker than yesterday, almost the same as test line, so I diluted the urine with about half water, and the test line came up same darkness but control line was slightly lighter, I would upload photo but cant figure how too.  I dont think I would be so worried but I dont have any symptoms at all apart from fuller books and bloating.  Sounds weird but I was enjoying the tiredness when I had it xxx

alittlenervous thats reassuring about your fatigue coming and going thank you xxxx

#5 ·
Hi hopeful,

Just wanted to drop you a line cos I have been where you are! Please don’t panic (so easier said than done) if your pregnancy tests are positive then you have to trust that you are pregnant.  My advice would be to stop doing tests now cos it doesn’t reassure you, you just get obsessed with them. Pregnancy symptoms at 6 weeks are much varied, some people don’t even get any! Fuller boobs and bloating sound like text book early pregnancy symptoms to me!
I can’t tell you how may pregnancy tests I did in the early days and I obsessed about the colours of the lines, how quick the line appeared etc etc. I even kept a collection of used pregnancy tests lined up on my chest of drawers just so I could look at them when I was having a panic. Gross, I know lol. At 6 weeks my only ‘symptoms’ were really painful boobs and maybe some bloating. I think I cried a lot too so could’ve been hormones but in reality I was just so anxious at that time. Didn’t real feel pregnant tho. Was convinced I would be staring back at an empty uterus at the scan but we were incredibly blessed and it’s twins! Am currently 33 weeks which I never thought could happen. The early weeks were the worst by far.

Just wanted to let you know that you’re not alone, I think we’re all like this at the beginning after infertility and esp a MMC! Now put the tests away lol and best of luck for your scan Weds, let us know how you get on xx

#6 ·
Thank you Lynz3, I have promised myself I am not going to do anymore tests, I am kicking myself for doing the one yesterday as I told myself I wouldnt. 

Congratulations on your twins!!  I see you had the OHSS like me, such a journey IVF is.  I dont think that is gross because I have a collection lined up on my dressing table draw also lol xxx

#7 ·
Hopeful -

Hi fellow peestick addict here and particularly found of Furst Response.  I won't tell you how many test I took between OTD and the first scan, but it was obscene  :-[  I even labelled them/dated them and compared them. And when I said I took a lot of them, I mean a LOT! The lady in Boots started to think I was a bit mental  ^idiot^

Each box of tests can be different batches which will have effects on the control lines. The main thing is a positive is a positive regardless of the strength of the control line. I really advise you to leave them be now. Don't get fixated on them like I did, it causes undo stress. I also brought digital tests and they wouldn't budge over 2-3 weeks and I ended up smashing the tests open to get the test strips within them  ^idiot^

Honestly a positive test is a postitive test.

As for symptoms I hardly had any and they continue to fluctuate and come and go still (I'm 10 weeks)

I know its hard, and I can hardly preach given my loony obsessive peestick behaviour but if you can, step away from them if they are causing you to stress or second guess them.

And a huge congrats!

#8 ·
Hi
Just to let u know that above a certain hcg level the control line will not get lighter as it can’t handle the high levels and so actually appears a little darker. This is just because ur hcg level is beyond what the tests are designed for.
From a fellow poas addict  ^idiot^.

#9 ·
There's a thing called the hook effect that plays havoc with pregnancy tests once hcg levels rise above a certain level which is usually around 6-7 weeks so they become unreliable xx

#10 ·
Thanks so much ladies for all your supportive comments.

Today I have had some light pink blood so I am not feeling very hopeful, will just have to see what next few days bring xxx

#11 ·
Oh bless you, it's completely natural to worry but equally doesn't mean it's all over, I hope the time passes quickly until your scan  ^hugme^ Xx

#12 ·
Hi I just wanted to update this post for anyone who reads it in the future like I have gone through reading other posts.  We had a scan today at 6 weeks 4 days, we saw the heartbeat, obviously its still very early days but so far everything is on track for how it should be xxx

#13 ·
Wonderful news  ^hugme^

Riley xx

#14 ·
Thats such good news  :)  congrats!

#15 ·
Thank you ladies, you are all so lovely xxx

#16 ·
Great news  :) xx

#17 ·
Just thought I would update this for anyone reading that it may help.  Everything turned out fine and my little one is now two :) xx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.