Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Referred as an NHS patient by Luton PCT to Bourn Hall, Cambridge with a view to initially trying IUI (on 4th attempt in 2ww at the mo, with a view to moving onto ivf if unsuccessful - male factor infertility, so using donor, as provided by bourn hall.)  Have just received an invoice for sperm storage - can anyone advise whether this is normally a cost not covered by the NHS? (that would suggest the nhs are happy for any future siblings to have different donor fathers?)

·
Premium Member
6,153 Posts
I would not have thought this would be an NHS service, but it is always worth querying the invoice to see if it is a mistake.

You are lucky to get any treatment on the NHS - my DH has supposedly fathered a child 16 years ago with someone else, but given his diagnosis this is up for debate.

We have not had any treatment on the NHS at all because of it and so far I have spent approx £14K, maybe more. I think this is very unfair since I have a medical condition that needs treatment but have to go privately.

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
It's only cheap if you can afford it! ;D

We were told initially that our sperm storage was covered by the NHS only to find out a year later that it wasn't when the bill came. The worst thing is that they make it (in my experience) so hard for you to find out what is and isn't funded.

Good luck with your treatment. Our first attempt was NHS funded and it was a God send.Though we did have to wait four years-ish to get to the top of the list as they kept cutting funding then re-instating it.

XX

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
The NHS does fund sperm storage in some circumstances eg saved for cancer and clinics have contracts with PCT's for it, I guess it is asking if you are covered.  I have sperm stored privately and it is about £250 per year, you can also consolidate you sperm to one site and just pay one fee, , as I had it in 4 clinics. you are free to move it wherever you want between clinics, take a day or two to arrange.
Lx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.