Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that a cot bumper increases the risk of SIDS - must stop reading all those mags!!!

Anyone else heard of this?

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Yes.  cot bumpers aren't recommended generally but no one ever seems to be able to put their finger on why - it seems there are lots of reasons.
- if they get their face stuck in it they can't breathe
- they can get caught in the ties
- they can use them to get a purchase and climb

etc etc

When little they're not recommended because of the face-in-thick-wadding issue, I had one when DS was a little older because he kept getting his head stuck up against the bars of his cot, by then he could move himself out of danger if he couldn't breathe.

Claire x

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi

From my experience of cot bumpers I would say they are a waste of money!  My two never stayed in the same position anyway, and to have had any benefit they would have had to have gone all the way round the cot.  I gave up on them as I worried about them getting snuggled into a corner and not getting enough oxygen.

Spend your money on something else!  Mine will shortly be going on ebay, once I can get myself sorted to sell stuff!

Lisa

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I used cot bumpers for both of mine from 5/6 weeks old as they would bang their head so hard against the crib bars it would wake us up. I did always make sure the ties were out of the way and the actual bumper was tucked under the mattress so they couldn't get their head under it, and never had a problem. Once they moved into their cotbeds, I still used one for ds but never put dd's on.

They aren't recommended for under 12 months because of the risk of them overheating (it's like wrapping a duvet round their head if they sleep right up against it), then obviously the ties or getting their head stuck under them, then after 12 months they aren't recommended as your LO could use it to climb out. However, it's all about common sense and being careful - it's up to you to weigh up the risks and make a decision.

Chux xx

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Hi,

I used cot bumpers with ds1 once he was moving around all over the cot and kept banging his head and waking up. I was comfortable using them because he was of an age and ability that if he got into difficulties he'd in theory be able to move himself.

I didn't need to use them with ds2 and I am sure it's because the bars on his cot were flat as opposed to round - either that or he was a heavy sleeper and the pain didn't wake him  ;D

S xxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts