Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
Just looking for some advice really.
A while back I was on clomid,it didn't work,I was put on it as I had a blood test that showed I hadn't ovulated that month.
When I had a scan (internal and external) she saw cysts on my ovaries and my left ovary was all squashed - this was put down to my c section.
Anyway I had a laparoscopy and they said they would pop any cysts.In the even there were none but my tubes were clear and they unsquashed my left ovary!
I have looked up PCOS symptoms and being overweight is one and so is acne and excess hair,which I do have on my chin - lovely!
How is PCOS diagnosed,the radiographer did ask if I been on cloimd when she scanned me but then the cysts had gone!
What do you think?
Ruth xxx

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi Ruth
My PCOS was initially diagnosed in my teens with a laparocsopy, I  had lots of little cysts but know symptoms apart from pain.

Things then got better until last year when whilst I was having injections for IUI, I would respond, my ovaries were just making immature follies and bloods test showed that as well, not 100% sure what these test were though. The next month the same thing happen and so then I was told I had pcos, I was also over weight at point in my life, not now thought have managed to shift some weight, I still have bad spots at time and recently have begung to developm more hair all about me, especially on my face.

It might be worht seeing your gynae of GP for chat and discussing your symptoms again and seeing what they say, From what you've said, it could have been me and I do have pcos but i would have a chat with the medics and see what they say.

Chick

·
Registered
604 Posts
Might be worth maybe having a look on NHS direct about PCOS as well, I know that is where my GP had to go to find out more about it after I'd had my ovarian drilling.
Good luck & let me know how you get on.
Chick xx

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dear PCO friends,
PCO is diagnosed mainly on hormonal imbalace and less on cysts in ovaries. also symptoms like hirutism, overweight, irregular cycle, late menarche (this is your first periode).
In the blood they are looking at LH/FSH ratio, >2.5 is PCO. both these hormones are secreted from the brain and influencing the ovaries to ovulate. If you have a high ratio it meand you can'y ovulate.
They are also looking at testesterone (male hormone) and day 21 progesterone to see if there is ovulation, >30 is a good sign.
I hope this is helpful,
Sher

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wondering, if PCOS is based on all that then I am not sure why they seem to think I have it. The doctors never REALLY came up with a conclusion. They did all the hormone tests ( Normal), Insulin tests (normal), I have regular periods ( in the sense they come every 5.5 weeks ( used to be 6 weeks). Although they did a transverse ultrasounds scan and saw 4 cysts on my left ovary and were unable to see my right one ( as I am a big girl),most doctors just pushed me away and said " go lose some weight and then we might help you!". I even resorted to contacting Dr. Robert Winston from the TV documentaries about fertility. No one could give me a "definite" answer.  Other than the weight and the fact I wasn't getting PG and my DH tested fine, there wasn't much they could find wrong. But I guess things work mysteriously. Finally after trying for 7.5 years I got PG out of the blue, I lost it the same day I found out I was PG (naturally conceived) and then 3.5 weeks later I was PG again. I am now almost 12 weeks. SO I am really not sure if I am or am not PCOS.

Thanks
xx

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just wanted to say that the first I knew I had possible PCO was from a scan.  The second scan I had showed no cysts but the third showed them to be there.  I have no other symptoms - I'm not overweight, have no excess hair and my LH/FSH hormone levels (apart from progesterone) were all fine.  I had regular 28-31 day cycles and my temp charts (incl opks) all looked completey normal.

I had a laparoscopy where they did ovarian drilling and subsequently fell pregnant two months later and am now 16 weeks gone.

Not sure if this helps you or not but like you I was a bit confused.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I actually found out I had PCO (No symptoms) when I was 16. I had to ehave an emergency lap because I had had a cyst rupture, that is when they saw lots of immature follies on both ovaries. I was fine until I was about 19, when I started getting hairier, putting on weight and geting acne. I suspected then from reading on the net and in magazines that I had PCOS.
I got a firm dx this year after having my internal scan whist having IUI and also through the blood tests they carried out when my cycle was abandonned.
So it can take a hile for a firm dx to come out, one of the GP's in my surgery still won't believe it exists, at least I know to avoid him when I am having problems!!!

Chick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts