Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Please excuse me if I've missed other posts with the answers to these questions.

I have not yet started the process, but I'm unable to have children and desperately want to be a Mum one day so hope to adopt.

Just a couple of questions that come to mind at the moment for me:

1.  Has anyone single ever been able to adopt or do you have to be in a relationship and if so, for how long??

2. Being that everything is investigated in the process of assessing suitability etc, I'm wondering if I'd even get through any initial stages??
I've got several health conditions, none of them are cureable and can at times make me house or bed bound.  I can understand this would raise concerns if I was a single parent but would this still affect things if I was in a relationship??  Being that my health has steadily got worse over the last 6 years I'm wondering if not only it's has stopped my chances of having children, will it stop my chances of adopting too?  :-[  I don't  think I could cope if that was true but at the same time I'd rather know.

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Good Luck to all those going through the process now.

Funny Fanny xxx

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,  Single people are allowed to adopt generally.  I am sorry to hear that your health is deteriorating.  I think it would be important to speak to an agency and they will be able to advise you.  Depending on the nature of your health problems, perhaps you could prove that you have a network of people for back up who could step in on the days you are bedbound.  Wishing you the best of luck.
Danielle.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Danielle's advice sounds good!

Some areas are more fussy than others so speak to your local Social Services & a few other agencies. 

Suffolk SS were fantastic when I rang up for a chat - I'm going for ivf before deciding what to do & they fully appreciated that.

Good luck!
Jess x

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Hi

Danielle is right theere is nothing stopping single people adopting, infact we had one lady come to talk to us about her placement on our course.  Sorry to hear about your health.  In terms of the health side of things for adoption purposes, it is better to speak to them about it first than get so far into the process and face possible rejection.  Its better to get your Local Authorities take on your specific condition.

Good luck
Karen x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.