Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I have a couple of questions which I hope to ask here??  :)
Has anyone gone from icsi to donor sperm iui? We had our 1st unsuccessful icsi this summer and are talking about going down the donor route. Its something weve always talked about - my dh particularly as he doesnt like me going thro the icsi tx - tho its still really early days in our discussions, and we are just exploring at the moment. My dh has some sperm but less than a million..

Also, can you get it on the nhs? Our 2nd icsi would be nhs funded, but i am assuming that we couldnt 'transfer' those funds to go nhs with donor IUI, and that we would have to pay. How much would it be does anyone know?  ???

Sorry thats 3 questions!! Any answers gratefully received, lots of love, ruby k xx

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Hi Ruby, my partner and I were going through ICSI but when he had his biopsy to try and retrieve any sperm they couldn't find any so it changed from ICSI to IVF with donor sperm as my eggs had already been collected. You should get it on the NHS as our IVF was on the NHS. We were lucky it was successful and we had a little boy but when we went for further treatment for a second child we had to pay for it because we already had a child. We had medicated IUI which cost us £350 but costs will vary depending on where you live. If you had IUI and it was unsuccessful you would probably get about 6 attempts on NHS then you would probably have to think about IVF with donor sperm as it has a higher success rate. Every health authority is different so it might be best to check with your hospital about what treatment they will fund. Good luck.

Viv xx

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Hi Ruby!
My first cycle was abandoned (I didn't down reg properly) and when we finally got to EC in the 2nd cycle none of my eggs fertilized despite them doing ICSI. We were told that while our main issue was clearly MF there might be a compatibility issue and that my eggs might not respond well to being injected (they are a bit squishy!)
So for our 3rd cycle (all NHS! and yes I am a very lucky girl) we did half ICSI and half D-IVF. We felt we were giving our swimmers another go in case we just had bad luck last time but also taking out a kind of insurance. In addition if still nothing worked we would know that we had an egg issue as well and would have to consider donor eggs or embryos.
Had they not given us this option I don't think I could have continued with treatment - I just couldn't go through it all again thinking the same thing could happen.
As it happened, and much to our surprise, we got embryos with both sets but this left us with a really difficult decision, which to put back? Everyone decided the best thing was to delay transfer and see if we could get blasts, but on day 3 all the cytoplasm went grainy and the embryologist asked us to make a decision: did we go with one grade 4, 4 cell embryo made with our sperm or 2 grade 2, 8 cell embryos from the donor sperm.
DH (bless him) made the call immediately and we went with 2 embryos made from donor sperm (for the record **** wont allow you to have a mixed batch put back in). I should say that we were offered a 'freeze all', we could have all the embryos made with donor sperm frozen and come back and do them as frosties later, to give us time to adjust to the idea but as all embryo's had gone grainy I knew the chances of them surviving the process were not great (and we only had 3 after all).

Three days ago we got a BFP.

We are so happy, we know the decisions we made were the right ones but they were very very hard ones to take and its left me with a lot of mixed emotions. Should we have tried again perhaps at another clinic with more advanced sperm selection procedures? Should we have freezed, adapted to the idea and come back later? I'm not ashamed to admit I've cried both happy and sad tears in the last 3 days but I'm still sure we did the right thing.
I guess what I'm trying to say is going half ICSI/half D-IVF is not an easy option, but it is an option none the less, and one that you can have on the NHS.
Finally I'd like to say thank you, thank you for giving me the opportunity to talk about this, its the first time I've talked about since the BFP and I feel better for doing it.
Lots of luck with whatever you decide to do.
Love
Lizi.x

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi LiziBee
HUGE congratulations to you on your wonderful  ^BFP^ - I'm so chuffed for you!! I have seen you around and about on the site and was really hoping for good news for you soon. You and your dh look like a lovely couple on your piccy!

I can really imagine that you must have mixed feelings - but its so great that your dh made the call to use the donor embryos - and it really sounds like it was the right one. I think its perfectly understandable to have cried happy and sad tears since you found out - after all you have been thro so much to get to this point. But now you are going to be a family! And that is really what counts. Please talk more about it all if it helps.

We are still deciding what to do - I have so many thoughts going round in my head...donor iui is definately something we are seriously considering at the moment tho. We need to talk it over more and obviously talk to the clinic.

Viv - congrats to you too on your double success!!

Lots of love and thoughts, ruby k xxxx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.