Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wandering whether anyone has taken a course of antibiotics during treatment as a precaution against possible infections. A friend of mine took a dose on her third cycle and concieved although doesn't think this made a difference.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Hi,

I posted a question on this a couple of weeks ago. Don't think I got many replies so I assume it's not done by every clinic. I've never suffered an infection but was given antibiotics after every EC. Don't think it has any effect on the outcome. 

Good luck

Sushi  xxx

·
Registered
526 Posts
I am having the same question. It seems that most of the US clinics prescribe antibiotics, but not the UK ones. What was your experience?

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
hi

im in the uk and my old clinicdoes give u anti biotics for 7 days prior to EC , i also know another clinic in my region who do this too!

good luck

xxx

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I was given a prophylactic course for 5 days from egg collection as they said that EC can unearth dormant bacteria.

L xx

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm fairly sure I was given a dose of iv antibiotics at egg collection both times (2 different clinics) although I'm not 100% sure as obviously was a bit spaced at the time! I wasn't aware of any link to success, I think it is just a precaution against infection.
fatcat xx

·
Registered
526 Posts
A friend of mine who cycled in the US said that antibiotics were given to her DH too.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
My clinic give routine antibiotics - first by injection at time of EC & then by oral drugs.

I was sooooo ill with a jippy stomach after the first lot that I didn't take anymore the 2 subsequent icsis!

I've since been diagnosed with acute candida yeast infection, which is made worse by antibiotics!

I figured that if I started to get a temperature I would take them, but wasn't going to take them on the off chance I might get an infection.

I'm sure they're dished out cos they don't want to be sued if they don't!  There is a tiny risk that your bowel may be nicked (I don't mean stolen!! ;D) during EC.

Jess x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts