Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 917 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other thread is getting a bit long so a new place to chat  :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
wibble-wobble said:
The other thread is getting a bit long so a new place to chat :)
It most definitely has grown!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi girls,

Maybe someone can help me....

Can I use IUI sperm for a vaginal insemination? I think I can but....Do I have lees posibilities? Should I order ICI sperm?

The website says it can be used in...exceptional cases. Maybe my first time didn't work because I used IUI. My favourite donor doesn't have ICI sperm.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Hi heda,

Yes you can use iui for vaginal insemination, but please note the life span isn't as long as ici samples.....good luck :)

·
Banned
64 Posts
Hi,

I'm planning my second attempt using cryos in July/Aug.

I won't be placing any reservation now until after the EU referendum. just in case there's a hefty import duty if we leave the EU.

Does anyone know if it's best to reserve all straws at once or if I can reserve more straws later to an existing reservation please? Or would I still have to pay another reservation fee again?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Even if we vote to leave the EU, things won't change overnight - we won't wake up on 24th June to find we've left and everything has changed; instead, it'd begin a couple-of-years-long process of wrangling and negotiation. So on that front, I think you're safe for the time being.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hello all

I'm sure you have all answered these questions before but I am thinking of home insemination if my last FET  fails, mainly because I'm sick of clinics, drugs and shelling out money. My questions are:

Do the same rules apply in terms of having to use an open donor?

What MOT did you order?

How many straws do you need per cycle?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Ladybird, saw your post over in CRGW, so sorry lovely :( I'm feeling the same, maybe giving home insem another go since my IVF has failed. I would love to go back to CRGW but it's so expensive and I'm absolutely sick of the driving back and for, all the appointments and drugs and needles etc etc.

To answer your questions, no the same rules don't apply. They only apply if you are having treatment through a clinic not privately.

I've ordered everything from MOT 5 to MOT20. The majority vote seems to be that more inseminations rather than higher MOT. If I take this route I'll be doing 3-6 inseminations of MOT5 per cycle (2 straws at a time, 12 hours apart over a positive OPK)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thank you, pollita, that's helpful. I'm really struggling at the moment and trying to think of options as a part of me does not want to accept I'm so near the end. I know though that I will probably have to close this book for the sake of my own mental health and the stability of the family I already have. There are only so many punches in the face I can handle. Even then though it's not truly over unless we decide not to have more children. My DW could have treatment or we have thought of adoption. The years ahead just seem filled with uncertainty and set backs, which I makes me so sad. Anyway, this is probably for another thread. Good luck for your OTD, I'm crossing what I have for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cryos say you should use 2 x MOT20 straws and that if you time it right one insemination is all you need.  Now, each straw is 0.5 or 0.4 ml and, apparently, the average ejaculation is about 3ml. I know that it only takes 1 sperm to fertilise the egg but before that you have to allow for some sperm dying off on their way up the cervix, some heading to the wrong fallopian tube and then, you need lots of sperm to surrpund the egg and collective try to break in.

Fresh sperm can live a few days inside a woman so timing isn't so important. Frozen sperm, it's believed, don't last so long so timing is crucial.
The thing I'm struggling with is varying cycles. So, I had 2 cycles each of 31 days, with the bbt rise that comes after ovulation on day 17.  I ordered sperm to arrive on day 14. On day 13 I got my positive OPK so thought great, the sperm will arrive tomorrow before midday. I'll put it in then. The next day my bbt had risen. I put the sperm in anyway when it arrived but think it was too late. I must have ovulated very soon after the lh surge.
Anticipating that this month I ordered the sperm to arrive day 13. I didn't get an lh surge till day 15. Remembering that quick ovulation I put 2 straws in that night, 2 the next morning (no bbt rise) and 2 in the evening. My bbt rise this time didn't come till day 18. So, think I was too early but for me, I have no way of knowing in advance what will be the right day.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Hi Gardenlover
For how long have you tracked your cycles?
I don't know your age/background but would suggest six months is ideal... This gives you a better chance to understand your body's patterns.
Also which opks are you using? Though eBay cheapies have their place they're not the most effective and involve too much interpretation imo. Clearblue dual hormones are more costly but certainly give greater accuracy and tell you high as well as peak fertility. I could have had five plus days of high before ovulating.
Also these assist if your cycle has ovulation occurring at different times each month.
Thirdly though 2*20mot may work it needs precision timing. And I know more women pregnant from mot 5*2 and five or six inseminations..... As this covers all timings for earliest and latest ovulation.

Hth

Mmi +1

·
Banned
64 Posts
There seem to be few people who have got pregnant at home from cryos anyway. Apart from yourself who else are you talking about that has become pregnant from MOT5?

Even clinics putting sperm directly in the uterus use MOT20! This is significantly less than a normal undiluted ejaculate. But is compensated by the fact it's put much closer to the egg. In fact men who have MOT20 are technically considered to have low motility/fertility problem. So MOT5 is even worse. MOT5 is only really used for injection of sperm directly into an egg to create embryos in a clinic.

Given that the 0.4 or 0.5ml advertised is always under filled & that motility is also reported by clinics as much lower than stated- the odds of pregnancy are low with MOT20. So virtually minimal with MOT5. But as many women will undoubtedly feel less pressure when spending less, I guess that can greatly reduce stress, which will improve fertility.

I'm personally thinking of just going to Bulgaria & having an embryo transfer. Probably save myself a fortune & have a much greater chance too.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I think everyone has to make the right decision for them!

But I also look at mot 5, two vials, is for arguments sake equivalent to mot 10. Six inseminations over the 36 hours longest window is equivalent to mot60. Iyswim? So yes mot 20 is greater but not necessarily all of the story.

I tried with mot 20 and got bfns. Bfp with mot5. I know others on here and another forum I can't name on here.
Obviously it varies one woman's gynae history to another too and maybe paying for prescription for clomid could increase chances too....

·
Registered
782 Posts
Please be careful with self-medication with clomid! Normally patients taking clomid are followed by US, to be sure they do not have too many follicles. Everybody reacts to medication in a different way, and it might even differ from one cycle to the next. One or two ripe follicles is fine, but you do not want 4 or 8... .

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I agree Godiva but know my health authority don't monitor it.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Joan1980, not only did I use 4x5 MOT straws but for the first time I didn't double any of them up and decided to use them individually for 4 inseminations. It was successful for me and I'm due next month.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wow! Thanks for posting this Blackroses! I'm going to try for the first time in August hopefully, so I'm tracking my cycles. I'm thinking of ordering 6xmot10, but might see if I can find a donor who has both MOT5 and MOT10 so I can do more insems.

Congrats on your success and good luck with delivery :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, we are just starting our journey on the fertility path.

We have a 2 1/2 year old son who we adopted last year. Thinking of going to Cyros...any hints/advice?

We were thinking of doing 2 x 30 mot as the donor we like only has this in unwashed. Has anybody used washed?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Many people seem to try with lower MOT, but as many insems as they can afford. AFAIK, the washed only survives for a few hours for AI and unwashed manages 12-24 hours, so it would be really hard to get the timing right. I'm new to this too though, so maybe someone else can advise? I'm going for 6 x MOT 10 over 3 insems, I think.

1 - 20 of 917 Posts