Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm currently waiting for my 1st appointment at the Hewitt Centre. The wait is driving me mad!!!!

I was initially referred to the gyno dept by my GP.  Had that appt in mid-feb and they told me there that they'd be doing ICSI and I'd probably have to wait 3-4 months. 
Have since had a letter from the Hewitt Centre with estimated waiting time of 6 months just to get the Patient Information Evening appt (although they did tell me that as we've already had our bloods/sperm done in a previous clinic then we would at least be skipping that stage).

I think the thing that's driving me mad is that first I was told one thing by the docs in gyno & I got myself all excited about it and now it all seems that it's going to be taking much longer.  I just can't stand sitting around feeling like I'm not doing anything to move ahead with things.  Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
^eyes^  ^eyes^  ^eyes^

·
Registered
766 Posts
hiya

Try and be patient.... you are lucky only having a 6month wait.  we waited nearly 42 months to start our ivf.  I know it seems like its a lifetime away but you need to keep busy so it flys by.

Even tho they have said 6months im sure it will be before then.  Also you have an advantage as you have already had your bloods/sperm test done.

I was informed to ring and chase up the guy who does the lists.  I cant think of his name right now.... but i think that helped.  if you ring him he will give you an idea how long you will wait.

Did you say you have been to a patient information night yet?  if not you could ask him how far up on the list are you and you never know it could push things forward for you.

Good luck.. let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
Hi,

i am at the Hewitt Centre, i paid privately for 1st ICSI and FET but then waited for NHS to come through, i was on the list for a year but apparently for those on the Wirral (like me) it has now been reduced to 3 months (i was originally told 2 years so was pleased it had come through that quickly). If you have already done your bloods and DH's sample then you should be able to start on your 1st AF after the information evening. We have already got a thread set up just for girls doing tx at the Hewitt centre and it is great to support each other through our tx's and pregnancies (when we all finally get that longed for BFP). Come and join us:

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=132060.0

I would also keep phoning and nagging to see where you are up to!! ;)

Hope you join us on our thread

Good luck

Julia
xxxx

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi bigchicky and Julia!
Thanks so much for your replies. It's good to have your encouraging words & has given me a boost of energy to keep nagging the Hewitt for my appt!

bigchicky - OMG - 42 months... that does make me feel lucky with only 6 months to wait. You know how it is...with all the time we've been TTC, plus the time waiting for the 1st gyno appt... it feels like precious time lost & in the meantime I feel like I'm not getting any younger.  I know I'm probably feeling worse 'cause I can't work at the moment as I've got other health problems.  I would love to at least sort that side of things out so I could keep myself busy and wouldn't be thinking about this all the time!  ::)
I've not been to the patient information night yet.  How do you get in touch with the guy that does the list? Did you just phone through to the main no. for the Hewitt or have you got a direct no.? If yes, maybe that'd help me but, in the meantime, I'll just try the main no. I've got.

Julia - I was told the waiting time had come down to 3-4 months too (I'm in the Sefton PCT area).  Stupidly I counted that from when I had the gyno appt mid Feb, so I was figuring May/June then when I finally got the referral letter to the Hewitt it said 6 months from receipt of that letter. Thanks for giving me an idea of when they might start on the treatment after the info evening. I think that was also winding me up quite a bit 'cause it just feels like I'm waiting for months to go to an admin evening & I just want to feel like I'm getting somewhere!!  ^jumpin^

Thanks again!  ^hugme^  ^hugme^  ^hugme^

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hi,
We can all relate to your frustration - but as time goes on & you will get to treatment stage, you'll find you'll become an expert 'waiter'....I'm sure all the girls will agree - it's all one big waiting game... but there are so many of us & so few experts to treat us. But once you get there you'll be assured of a high level of personal care, one-on-one ( at least I found that to be the case).
I too waited was referred by the gynae dept & waited 6-7 months from referral for invite to patient eve,(they suggested it could take as long as 12-18 months) then it's bloods etc, then you've got up to 3 months to take up your place (usually you start after 1st period after info eve). Sorry, but I don't have any of the numbers to contact the persons in charge of the lists but I can give you the reception number for the Hewitt centre if you'd like.
I suppose as you're off work at the mo, you've got too much time on your hands to keep mulling things over - hope your health problem gets sorted & you feel better soon. ^hugme^
Sorry, I'm sure this message won't offer you any consolation - Just keeping busy with your life is the best advice I can offer -I'm sure we'll all agree - IF has taken over our in every aspect of out lives.
Make sure you keep in touch & you'll find support as we all do here.
Shirley xx

·
Registered
766 Posts
Helloo

If you ring the womens hospital and ask to be put through to the man who deals with the ivf list.  Im sorry i cant think of his name.
HEs really nice and anything is worth a try!
Shirley is right.. it is a waiting game....  but it will be worth it in the end.
Not sure if you have registered with the link support group yet, but i got a letter yesterday there is a meeting on wed 21st May at 7pm in seminar room 2 at the womens hospital.  I have found them great all the way whilst iv been waiting and receiving treatment. 
The girls have really helped me who run the group.  They have been through IVF themselves.
I hope your health is sorted out soon.  I know how you feel being off work, i am myself! 
Take care and good luck, let us know how you get on

Hayley x

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi

I have just been referred to LWH and we paid for our first consultation just to speed things up, was about £150 but myself and my Dh felt better for going in and having a chat with the consultant who was lovely. We have been told that the waiting list NHS is currently 3-6 months but less than 6 months. We are made up at that news as know there are ladies out there who have had waiting up to 2 years. I dont know if us paying for a consultation has sped things up because they may have simply been a meeting to discuss our points as oppose to them wanting to see us (if you know what I mean)!. Anyway, my BMI is close to 29 (about 27) so we are going to use the waiting time positivley to join a gym and start eating healthy, plus me and my DH are now on folic acid and mutli vits.

I am hopeful we'll only have to wait a couple of months for the info evening, and then we hopefully can start late summer.

In terms of our problems, everything is normal apart from my fallopian tubes which have scars and adhesions. They reckon this is the delay. The IVF will by pass these to we are hopeful IVF at some stage will work as already had a pg just ended in early mc. We have been told the fact we got pg before even though it didnt stick and maybe didnt leave the tubes is a good sign so finally feel we have some hope.

I dont know what your ladies experiences were before going to LWH but we were under Warrington Hospital and they were completely hopeless. They never got back to me after my lap in September (I had to chase my own appointment) and then when I FINALLY made an appointment in Feb they were too full to see me and so as an after thought I was put with the nurse who dealt with my miscarriage and was a lovely Woman but when I asked questions she had to keep popping in to see the Gyno, who had decided to see another patient. Then the joys after that..... it took them 3 months to send my referall to Liverpool, as the Gyno was off sick and then my referall was on his desk for over a month, so thanks to them we were totally delayed.. never complained whats the point, didnt want to jeopordise my wait... not being negative over it... need to remain POSITIVE.

Good luck ladies, I think anyone venturing on this journey really deserves the best of luck.

xx Jen xx

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
Hi Jen,

why don't you join us on this link:
http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=132060.0

This is a IVF/ICSI thread for girls all going through the same as you at the Liverpool Women's Hospital, we are having a meet-up on 16th May at Cheshire Oaks so maybe you would like to come and meet some of us, it is really good to talk to others who understand your situation.

Hope to see you on ICSI thread

Good luck

Julia
xxxx

·
Registered
253 Posts
THANK YOU!!

May be a silly question but I am not having ICSI does that matter?? yes I would love to come to the meet up, do your partners/husbands normally come?

Jen xx

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Hi Jen,

Talk to me about Warrington Hospital!  ^bigbad^ They were supposed to have referred me for IVF back in April 07, but (as I found out much later!) instead sent the wrong letter and I only got referred for more investigations at LWH! After another lap (emergency in the end as the Clomid Warrington prescribed caused my endo to flare up so badly that I got 2 very large cysts) our consultant at LWH said he would refer us for IVF - this was November and that the wait would be 18 months (by which time I would be too old for North Cheshire PCT to fund treatment!). We thought we had already been referred! Anyway - to cut a very long story short, I kicked off with the PCT and went straight to the Chief Exec. I will never know if it was the complaint or the fact that a lot of money was thrown at IVF to get the waiting lists down (or a combination of both!) but as you can see, I started treatment in January and am now 13 weeks pregnant!

Good luck! Whereabouts in Warrington are you?

Karen x

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
Hi MrsG,

i think it is generally 2 cycles before you can start tx after info evening, you will do blood tests on CD2 of next cycle and your DH will do a sample then i think you should be able to start on CD21 of next cycle.

Good luck

Julia
xxxx

·
Registered
6,264 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi MrsG,

I've also got the letter for the info evening on the 18th June, so maybe see you there....  :)
^reiki^  ^hugme^  ^reiki^

1 - 13 of 13 Posts