Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI

I am lucky enough to have a GP that hased provided my ICSI drugs for me but there is a bit of a worry regarding what he has prescribed.

My hospital sent him a letter requesting that he prescribe menopur or Gonal F. He prescribed Menogon. I have been led to believe that this is the same as Menopur... Is this right.

Second of all when at the hospital recently I told them that he had given me menogon and they seemed surprised and said that it is a real pain to administer. They suggested I try my luck and ask hhim to change it.

He said no!! Understandably and was extremely annoyed with the hospital.

Can you confirm 2 things for me.
1. That Menogon is the same as Meopur
2. That the fact that I am not using Gonal F will not affect my treatment

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Hi.  I'm not a nurse but I was looking up both these drugs on the web recently.  If you do a Google search, you should be able to find the patients' information sheets provided by the manufacturers (Ferring, I think).  I don't know what the difference is between the two composition-wise, but Menopur is injected subcutaneously (under the skin) while Menogon seems to need intra-muscular injections (which might be a bit trickier). Have a look at the factsheets on the web and see what you think.  However, I think my inclination personally would be to go with what the clinic want you to have as they have more knowledge of these IVF/ICSI drugs than the average GP. A bit awkward when the GP is prescribing (and I assume paying from his budget), but, there again, if he is prescribing drugs for you, he might as well prescribe what the clinic recommends! All the best.  Ellie.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ellie

My problem is that I already have the menogon and he will not change it for me as he cannot get his money back

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Mmm, I think if I were in your shoes I would get in touch with the consultant at the clinic for advice.  Hopefully the Menogon will be fine, but I think I would want that reassurance before going through a cycle.  If it isn't, maybe the clinic can help you sort out something with the GP.  And if it turns out that your GP has prescribed you the wrong thing, I think that should be his problem rather than yours! Good luck.  Ellie.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
hiya i had menogon injections and although the needles look scarey, they do not hurt much at all and my dh had no problems at all injecting it. i had 12 eggs both times which i think was a good responce so i wouldn't worry too much,  i was nhs so maybe menogon is a cheaper option and thats why your doc prescribed it

good luck

pam xx

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your support Sapphie and Ellie

Obviously will call the clinic but although they are really supportive and helpful, I sometimes think that because they are dealing with this day in day out they forget we don't have a clue what we are doing!!!! I am sure it will be fine

Thanks and good luck to you both

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi

I have just done my first cycle with Menogon and i am in my 2ww, i raelly wouldnt worry about taking it, i was petrified but when i started i wondered what i had panicked for!!!  Don't worry, i responded on it.

Claire xxxx

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Claire
Thank you for your reply ......my fingers are crossed for you. I have actually found out today that it was the pharmacy that made the mistake and they are going to take it back and I am going on monopur! To be quite honest I son't know the difference!

Good luck and Good luck again xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.