Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Could anyone help give their opinions on what I should do. I have beem successful with 1 ivf long protocol cycle in 2016...have 2 children from that.. my amh was 26.8 then and i was33/ 34.

6 yrs on i am 39 now and have endo cyst on left ovary and amh of 6. My clinic have suggested short protocol this time amd see how we get on. I don't have many cycles.to compare.against.as i.only did the one.. but i am worried will high stims just fry my eggs or should.i consider mild ivf/natural ivf because i am older, with endo and a much lower amh.

My amh has dropped given time but also cyst.which is just killing my ovary too

Any thoughts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Leenaj

Your AMH is really not that bad. It may not be the greatest but it really isn't anywhere close to terrible. Of course, the clinics like it higher because then they get more eggs to play with but 6 is not something I would worry too much about.
I would go with the protocol your clinic recommends if you trust them. If you don't trust them, I would go with a clinic I trust.

Most importantly I wanted to say my AMH was far far worse and my clinic also recommended the short protocol with 450 Menopur after the first 'trial' go. And I never felt it negatively affected the eggs - we got a high percentage of blasts/follicle. I think it's a lot more about age and your partner's sperm. I believe this 'frying' the eggs with the stimulation meds is a bit of a myth and the clinic I went to also had that approach. Maybe it was because I was still less than 40, it may change afterwards, I don't know, but then so are you (less than 40). In particular if you have been so successful before with 2 children from 1 cycle then that looks great for you, because clearly you and your partner were able to produce good eggs.

The only real way you find out is by giving it a go and I would pick 3 or 4 eggs from a short protocol way over 1 or 2 from a natural approach - it is about the numbers. The more eggs you have, the more likely 1 (or more) will be genetically intact and able to make a baby. The natural approach simply has far lower success rates.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm 42 with low AMH (2.5) and have been doing the short protocol, Mild IVF so not many meds and a more gentle approach to my body. Currently just found out I'm pregnant  ^pray^

Maybe try 1 cycle with a short protocol and see if it works for you x

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Leenaj

I’m the same age as you and my amh was 6.3 this time, can remember what it was in 2016 but it was low end of normal. I’ve just done a long protocol with high Stims (350 gonal f & 150 luveris). I was told this is max dose for this drug combination. I got 6 eggs, 3 fertilised (with DH’s poor sperm) & 1 made it to 5 day blast which resulted in my BFP, so I wouldn’t worry about high stims.

Huge hugs to you & good luck.

Ellie

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all,

Well i did end up cycling 2 weeks ago...we got 10 eggs..i was on 300 pergrovis and fyramdel...of the 10, 8 were mature. Had icsi and only 1 fertilised. Awaiting to hear back from the clinic about if we should transfer this one if it survives. I felt pleased with 10 eggs as 6 years ago i got 12 but we had 8 fertilise and got 3 blasts. This time my eggs are older but i am.more concerned that we only had 1 fertilise?

Last time we did normal ivf as despite DH having poor sperm morph, his counts were very high to compensate for enough normal morph sperms so we left it to natural selection.

This time were were expecting far less eggs and so opted for icsi with frozen sperm sample from back in 2017.

Things do not look good....very disappointed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts