Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi girls,
I'm 12 weeks today and have my NHS nuchal fold scan onThursday (very excited)
I was told by my clinic that I could stop taking cyclogest at 12 weeks, and then the nurse said something which has got me thinking, she said "some women just stop taking it and others wean themselves off it by slowly cutting down the amount they take"
Why would you 'wean yourself' off it and is it dangerous for your baby if you just stop taking it?  I really don't know what to do.
What's everyone's experiences and what advice have you been given?
Katie x

·
Registered
223 Posts
hi katie

i am on week 10 and half and i have been weening my self of the ultrogestoren and cylcogest since week 9....going to stop on wednesday....its just what care a tsheffield do..i suppose when you start you slowly increase the levels....by week 12 your body should be producing enough of its own...i know all hospitals do differnet things...i dont think they would tell you to do something at your clininc if it was not right...you know what they like everyone doing differnet things..i must admit since i been weening myself of them feel much much better...i been really bloated and uncomfortable...i am having a scan at the hospital tomorrow and then i have boked my nuchal for next week..they dont offer it at my hospital...

dont worry you made it to week 12....hope the nuchal comes back good for you...this whole thing from start to finish is a worry isnt it...tsake vare mummy to be
love bailleypippin x

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hiya ... My hosp said to stop taking the cyclo at 10 weeks (7wks pg tday) ..they didn't mention anything about weaning off but like u am a little concerned that its ok to just stop them . I really can't wait to stop them though as I think they r causing most of my aches and pains and I cant get through a day without worrying .

Laura x

·
Registered
83 Posts
hi
Sorry just crashing in, i was told that in week 11 to start weaning myself of an stop completly by week 12. I think each clinic is different so i would just go by what your clinic recommended.
Good luck
Impi

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Hi Katie,

It does seem like theres a lot of variation in the recommended advice. I was told by my clinic to keep taking 2 a day until Day 77 (Week 13) and then 1 a day for the next week. Noone in the mainstream NHS maternity care has commented on it at all.

I think its important in the early stages to ensure that you have sufficient levels to support the pregnancy as our ovaries won't be working too well after all they've been through. But around the end of the first tri the placenta takes over so you don't need the top up.

I'm following my clinic advice to the letter as its been pretty good so far.  ;D

Best of luck with your nuchal on Thursday.

Edna

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your replies - it's interesting to see the variation in advice given.  I do feel pleased that I've got this far (I hated the pessaries - yuk horrid things!) so now I will happily give them up.  I may just take 1 a day until the pack runs out.
Thanks again,
Katie x

·
Registered
100 Posts
katie,

just asked the consultant today the same question, he says by now (11 weeks) the placenta is making all the progesterone you need and 2 x cyclogest a day wont make or break it. He suggests going down to one a day for the next week and then one every other day for the following week, more for piece of mind than anything else. Apparently we could have our ovaries taken out at this stage & the placenta would make all the hormones the pregnancy needs.

love lucy lou xx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.