Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been told that I have to cut out all dairy products. My worry is that most alternative/replacement foods are made from Soya, which I have read contains an ingredient which emulates estrogen and can affect ovulation. Can anyone help confirm this, and if so what other alternatives could there be?

Any help would be most appreciated, i'm at a loss at what to do (or eat!)  ???

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
I don't know if this will help but things like Rice and Oat milk could be useful? I used to use the vanilla rice milk in porridge and it makes it very yummy!

I also bought some chocolate 'milk' shake from waitrose the other day made out of oats, and it was ok - although a little bit like cold chocolate porridge.... not too bad though!

Can't help with things like cheese etc, although i know lots of people who can't eat dairy but can actually eat goats cheese which can be very yummy if you get the right ones?

Why have you been told to cut them out hun?  I've also heard that if you can't eat dairy products that doesn't always include probiotic natural yogurts - obviously i don't know why you shouldn't have them, but it might be worth investigating?

I would definitely do a google search to see what's out there - i bet some people could help!

Actually, i'm thinking of things you could do now.....

For sandwich and dip type things, try blending a can of butter beans with garlic and lemon juice and herbs etc, and i've done similar with kidney beans and tomatoes with a bit of chilli?

Hmm - i will have another think!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hi my acupuncturist told me to cut out dairy and bread as apparently they make the ovaries damp or something. Im a bit skeptical about this tho so looking forward to seeing some responses on this. Ive switched to soya milk, soya apro yoghurts etc but not sure im doing the right thing

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi. Thanks for all the info - the dip idea loks yummy!

My acupuncturist is the person who recommended to cut out dairy products and the more I read the more I think it will help. I have invested in some rice milk (though I couldn't tell if you if I like it as I haven't had the courage to try it yet!) and Pure sunflower spread which you can get in tesco or asda. Cheese is a bit more difficult but I don't eat agreatdeal so won't really miss it (she says!). My acupuncturist is brilliant and explains everything in western medical terms as well as the chinese medicine view.

Milk products produce 'phlegm' in the body which causes dampness and blockages in energy I believe, and can also be the cause of 'pussy' acne, which, if you suffer from PCOS as I do, is a big problem. Milk also contains hormones and growth factors which, if I am not mistaken, affect human hormone growth and development. More info can be found by clicking on the link below:

http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/campaigns/whitelies/dairy-free-guide.pdf

This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityFriends.co.UK or its owners are not responsible for the content of external internet sites

·
Registered
591 Posts
Thanks for the link lex, it was really interesting. I had always thought milk was healthy - i didnt realise it had lots of harmful hormones etc in it. I also suffer from PCOS as well as migraines eczema and constipation so it will be interesting to see if it improves any of my symptons.
I had a soya yoghurt tonight, forest fruits but it was so awful i couldnt eat it lol, the chocolate ones are ok so i hope i can aquire a taste for it. i have the soya milk with my cearel and its actually quite nice but i tried it in my tea and it was awful lol

dq xx

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Hi,

I used to drink soy milk everyday and had lots of soy products.  It's true though and we should avoid soy if TTC.  I even confirmed it with my dr.  I find it hard as I don't eat meat so it was my big protein source.  I have suspected endometriosis and have also read that dairy should be avoided.  However, I do still have it (have switched from soy to lactaid milk) and just keep to a balanced diet without processed foods.  As others have mentioned though, there are alternatives such as rice and almond milk.  They're not high in protein so you'll need to find other sources.

·
Registered
591 Posts
ive cut down on dairy this past week and my acupuncturist could already tell, aparently my pulse was 'less slippery' whatever that means lol. Is rice milk also dairy free? any other tips? im just getting into it but still getting to used to alternatives

thanks
dq xx

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Hi,

This thread got my attention because as a PCOS girl I eat burgen bread (soya and linseed) because it's low GI but I am aware of the oestrogen-like effects of soya. But, my cycles have improved no end since I started to eat a low GI diet (I also take a veggie omega 3 supplement which contains linseed, evening primrose and rapeseed oils and I know I'm not supposed to take linseed oil either!)

But I'm convinced if I stop taking the supplements and eating the bread I'll have anovulatory long cycles. (For reference my cycles used to be 42 days+, since adopting a low GI diet (as much as I can) they've been coming down and average at 32 days at the moment. (I have had a 39 day cycle (boo) and a 28 day this year too!)

I've not really changed anything else. (My weight is identical...)

Chicken or the egg springs to mind. I will be asking my consultant when I see him in June though (he's a PCOS expert).

Katie4

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi everyone,

fairly new to this forum, and just come across this post! Excuse my ignorance - oestrogen like effects of Soya? I am lactose intolerant and have been drinking soy milk for 8yrs, I also found out recently that i have PCOS, so reading this left me a bit puzzled and alarmed! :eek:

Can anyone shed light on this for me?

Cat

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
Cat - not sure of the details, but probably worth a google!
i think soya has oestrogen-like properties, so can potentially affect fertility..
someone i'm sure will know more than me?

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
Hun, jsut did a quick search for you (got to be better than working!! ;D )

http://www.patrickholford.com/content.asp?id_Content=1415

interestingly this one comments on the reduction of fertility in men, not women.

http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/soy.html
http://parenting.ivillage.com/ttc/ttcprep/0,,44lf,00.html

There's a couple to be getting on with!

actually, from the quick scan i did of these, it seems that there isn't any major conclusive proof - but worth thinking about, i think!

Hope they help! ;)

/links

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
that's ok hun - i'd only have been working otherwise! ;)

;D

·
Registered
591 Posts
Thanks for the link sally!! I was wondered incase it was ruining my chances of a sucessful pregnancy but i think moderation is the key. Im only having soya milk with my ceareal in the morning and the odd soya yoghurt here and there so i dont think its too much. I wonder how much 12 oz actually is, im going to get the measuring jug out to see lol

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
12oz is just over half a pint!  20oz is a pint. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts