Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
haven't posted for ages. Tried to block all this out for two months whilst waiting to restart our abandoned ICSI from October. Should start injections etc next week sometime for a short ten day protocol.

To be honest I just feel numb. I'm not excited about the prospect of it working or afraid that it might not.....just numb. Anyone been here?

I have begun to have a strange addiction to the "Living Child free" section. maybe I'm preparing for the worst and anything better is a bonus eh? I'm neither really negative or really positive. It's weird. After eight years I guess my beautiful wife and I want closure one way or another. That is what trying treatment is about for us. If it works then great...fantastic....if not, then lets get on with our lives and stop living the "But maybe next month" life. Ok I'm ranting I know. You've probably heard me say all this before.
I was reprimanded during a squash game the other night for playing dangerously ::) But we have to release the tension somehow right?
I then got a ball in the ear  :eek: and calmed down a bit. oops.

I'm a man on the edge at the moment but still with a sense of humour (albeit a rather black one!!). Any tips guys?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi Steve,

sorry you're going through the mill at the moment. Try to stay positive... I know it's difficult, if all else fails........................... PROZAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;)

Catch

^dancing spot^

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Steve - I know exactly how you feel, we started with all the tests and had options taken away from us, it became an emotional rollercoaster.  Then at some time though this both my DW & I just seemed to turn off our emotions to the treatment.  Like you say we became 'numb' we knew all the statistics and it worried us, we didn't expect it to work but just went along with it.

I don't see a problem though you DP may not understand, you just have to get people and yourself to realise it's your bodys coping mechanism.  Don't feel bad and just do what you need to.  I'm not going to tell you to be positive because it shouldn't affect you. 

The cycle result should pull you out of it.  Though saying that I was still nervous to feel anything till the 6wk scan and it took my dw till the 8wk scan to get back to normal.

Regards
Andy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Steve,

Hang in there,

we have been trying for over 8 years and then the started on the IVF list, whilst on the list the doc gave use some pill and DW got preg. but it only lasted until week 8, we were devastated, but got on with it think we still had the IVF.  But we thought nothing of it, then about 1 1/2 after that we asked the doc how we were doing on the list and the said 'O' there's a note saying "No other action required"so we then had to start again on the list and given a date of 2 1/2 years to 3 years wait........
when we got told that it was a very very big shock.... we both felt numb.

we carried on with the pills the doc had given use, and every month it was "But maybe next month" after about 3/4 of year after we M/C we stopped taking the pill and we just gave up with the "But maybe next month"  or even the IVF because it was so so far away.

Even when we got the news that we would be starting our cycle soon,
We felt numb(I think this was because we didn't want to get hour hopes up),

Well we had the ET on the 27th November 2004 and after the 2WW DW still didn't really believe that it was a BFP even after the 6 week scan or the 8 week scan, we are know on week 12 and she has come to terms that she is Preg, and life is changing but after waiting for 8 years its a big shock, i was sort of setting my self up with "Living Child free" but i think if you don't really think about it it will sort it self out.( It worked for use )

don't give up hope and i hope things go well your next time

Adrian

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Andy and Adrian,

We have been on injections for 7 days and go for a scan Tues morning to see how DW responding. This is where it failed last time and we had to postpone. If that happens tomorrow it is over for us....we agreed. We can't live like this anymore. But if the response is good then I guess we have to take a deep breath and go to the next step. I never thought I could love and admire someone as much as I do my wife right now. Our partners are so brave aren't they?

Thanksd for being here fellas.

Steve

·
Registered
37 Posts
hi stevejc,

i'm in the middle of our 4th cycle of treatment but it has been going on for a year now as our first two cycles were without drugs and they took months to get right,
my mental state has been effected in a similar way to yourself i keep wishing it would just work, it doesnt seem like much to ask for as so many people take parenthood for granted, i know me and my wife will make good parents given the chance and i know the painful times will be worth it, thats what keeps me going.
hope that helps you
good luck   

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Paul

Yep there sure is a lot of tension at the moment. Just got back from the hospital. DW has four potential follicles so we are going for egg collection on Thursday with hopefully transfer on saturday. What a surreal world we live in eh?  ???
We too are "perfect parents" having had eight years to perfect the theory  ;D ;). Seriously tho, I know what you mean. I hope your dream comes tru buddy.
I'm a Liverpool fan by the way  :p

Later

steve

·
Registered
37 Posts
good luck for collection steve hope all goes well
me and my missus had bad luck with our iui as no ovulation took place (even though 2 foolies where ready) but this could be a blessing as our treatment may change, possibly to ivf for a better chance of success

by the way can a liverpool fan be a perfect parent? lol
just kidding
could have been everton
speek to you soon
paul77

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Paul,

I think parenting will be very much like supporting Liverpool........it's fun to see them climb up, but you are always worried that any minute they will wobble and fall from the top of the table  ^babycrawl^  ;D

Ok guys, hope there are no lasses around. I am quietly dreading egg collection tomorrow because I've got to do "my bit"!!!!! I am so tired, anxious and tense, it feels like I'm going on to take a penalty in a shootout against the Germans. I hope the old man's cooperative  ^eyes^ ^sperm^

I guess the lab need it straight away huh? Any experience to pas on fellas?

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts