Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello girls,

I am hoping to start my second cycle of IVF/ICSI at ARGC soon, we have our 1st consultation on June 20th. 

In preparation for this I have had my Day 3 bloods done through my GP.  I am in a panic as I had a call from the surgery to say that my GP wanted to see me regarding the results, anyway I have just come back from my appointment and I am worrying that the results may affect me having another go.  The results are as follows;  THE RESULT WHICH CONCERNS ME IS PROLACTIN  :'(

TSH 3.18 mU/L
Estradiol - 17B  100 pmol/l
LH 3.5 U/L
FSH 6.3 U/L
Prolactin 608 mU/L

The Prolactin result really worries me as this is what my GP was concerned about (although he didn't understand how to interpret this result!)  On the blood result form it states that 0 - 500 is the range which this should fall into, obviously mine is very elevated compared to this.  It also states "No macroprolactin detected.  Interpret prolactin level in light of clinical details and drug therapy, especially dopamine antagonists (eg antipsychotics, SSRI's and anti-emetics eg metoclopramide)"

I have read in Zita Wests book that Prolactin is tested if PCOS is suspected (I have had this in the past/don't know if I still do!)  Also, it states that levels that are higher than expected may interfere with ovulation or result in a reduced progesterone function, which will make it difficult for your body to maintain a pregnancy.

Am I worrying unnecessarily?  I just don't want anything to go wrong with this treatment cycle.  Am hoping that someone may be able to put my mind at rest  ^pray^

Thankyou for your help

^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

G

·
Hi there

Try not to worry

ARGC will talk you through the results and I am sure will be able to help. Maybe you could try for a cancellation if you'd like to talk to them sooner than the 20th?

Good luck

xxx

G

·
Hi there, I've suffered from high prolactin for umpteen years and it is very easy to sort out with drugs.  My Endocrinologist says the normal parameters are 30 - 600 so by this you're just out of the normal range.  If the ARGC feel they would like it to be lower I am sure they will prescribe you the necessary drugs.

Please try not to worry about it - it won't affect you being able to have another go at IVF.

Dolly

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lukey,

Thankyou for your reply.  My husband is a shift worker and we have to try and work around his shifts so I guess I will try and be patient.  I also think I need the time between now and the 20th to psyche myself up for another round. 

Dolly,

I thought it would be something that could be sorted with drugs (more expense!!)  but if it's what is needed in order for my dreams to come true then I will have to deal with it. 

I wish you the best with your future treatments  ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^

BooBoo

xxxxx 

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Hi,

I suffer from high prolactin too. As Dolly says its treated by drugs. The ARGC gie bromocriptine - its a tablet so not that expensive. When i got my BFP with DD i was on bromocriptine so I wouldn't worry, if its high they will lower it and I think they stopped the tablets when i got my bfp.

If you do need the tablets though they can cause nausea for the first few days so take at night and with food (something Doll told me and it is good adivce!)

Karen

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Karen

Thankyou so much for your reply.  You girls have helped put my mind at rest.  Am looking forward to my appointment next Friday with optimism and hope  :) 

Vanessa

1 - 6 of 6 Posts