Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Peter,

Just had a failed fresh cycle where 15 eggs were collected and 8 of these fertilised. Of the 8, 4 were frozen at pronuclete stage (we were told these thaw better) and 4 left to divide. on day 2 we had a 6 cell and a 4 cell replaced and the other 2 (4 cell) were left to divide again overnight. They were all good quality embryos with no fragmentation.

The following day (day 3 ) we were told they weren't good enough to freeze as they had not divided fast enough, (1 x 5 cell & 1 x 6 cell), does this mean that in fact whilst they look like good embryos they are in fact not very good?

We didn't get any day 3's frozen on the previous cycle either, same problem.

If we decided to try taking our embryos to blastocyst in the future (would have to be a different clinic), would they be unlikely to make it in light of these only being at 6 cells on day 3?

Many thanks for your help and I hope you have had a nice holiday :)

Sammy.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Sammy said:
Hi Peter,

Just had a failed fresh cycle

Sorry to hear this

where 15 eggs were collected and 8 of these fertilised. Of the 8, 4 were frozen at pronuclete stage (we were told these thaw better)

I think that cleavage stages are better but clinics vary on this.

and 4 left to divide. on day 2 we had a 6 cell and a 4 cell replaced and the other 2 (4 cell) were left to divide again overnight. They were all good quality embryos with no fragmentation.

Sounds good to me

The following day (day 3 ) we were told they weren't good enough to freeze as they had not divided fast enough, (1 x 5 cell & 1 x 6 cell),

This is typical. Such embryos should be give the chance to go to blastocyst and then frozen. It sounds like another clinic 'opting out'of freezing.

does this mean that in fact whilst they look like good embryos they are in fact not very good?

No, they just don't want to freeze for some reason.

We didn't get any day 3's frozen on the previous cycle either, same problem.

Sounds familiar!

If we decided to try taking our embryos to blastocyst in the future (would have to be a different clinic), would they be unlikely to make it in light of these only being at 6 cells on day 3?

It is impossible to say onday 3 but you stand a good chance as long as the clinic is experineced in blastocyst work

Good luck!

Peter
Many thanks for your help and I hope you have had a nice holiday :)

Sammy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:) Thanks Peter :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts