Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I've just started my first ICSI treatment.  Couldn't believe we'd get this far!  Started buserelin injections on Friday and so far I haven't had any side effects.  Not that I'm disappointed in fact I'm mightily relieved.

I had built myself up to a mini-menopause and nothing seems to be happening.  Am I just lucky or should do the drugs build up in your system before you start shouting and throwing things at dh?  What experiences have others had?

I'm also struggling with timings/dates etc.  Everything seems to depend on how you respond and I'm making a right pigs ear of my diary (both social and work)  most people are understanding but can't quite grasp the fact that I just don't know when I'm going to be available and when I'm not.  I'm sure they think that I know more than I'm letting on and keep saying things like 'well just give us a rough idea then'.  How do you deal with that? 

Maybe the drugs are kicking in a bit after all, because today someone was being a teeny bit exasperated with me about my inability to say whether I would be available for a business meeting on the morning of 1st Feb and I wanted to scream 'I DON'T BLOODY KNOW' at them.  Fortunately, I bit my tongue and gave my usual apologetic don't know sorry.  Come to think of it I'm not sorry, I'm really happy that this treatment is finally going ahead.  :)

Tracy xxx

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Tracy, I also started with Buserelin last Friday so it looks like we should be running along with similar dates.... this is my 2nd ICSI attempt but my first time with Buserelin injections for the down regging. All I've noticed so far is feeling a bit queasy in the mornings (which then seem to get better as the day goes on). My stomach already feels a bit bloated and I guess I just generally feel a bit "blah" and pretty tired towards the end of the day. What will you use for the next part - are you going to be injecting Puregon ? 
With regards to the dates, I've been advised depending on how the follicles go they are aiming at egg collection for the 7th Feb, with egg transfer either on the 9th or 10th. That will depend on how I react to the increased dose of Puregon. I think they are hoping that this time I'll produce more eggs than the 10 before. I haven't told too many friends this time, but close friends tend not to ask too many questions which was good..... the nearer you get to egg collection the more you will know date wise so hang on in there !! :)

Good luck

Caz xx

·
Registered
60 Posts
Tracey

I have had no side effects on buserelin ... the occasional hot flush which mostly has been at night but nothing else.  On the stimming other than feeling a bit bloated I have been ok.

On your second point I can sympathise, because I too have a difficult work schedule, and we made the decision not to tell anyone ... not even family, so it's quite tricky.  I picked my quietest time at work where I knew I could justify a holiday/break.  From when you start stimmin your clinic will probably be able to give you a rough idea of EC, althougth first time round it's more difficult to estimate ... I went on for about 4 days longer than expected.  This time (EC tomorrow am!) I have follwed the plan like clockwork, but you are never completley sure until about 2/3 days before.

Good Luck

Salties

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

Thanks for the replies and hopefully the lack of side effects will continue. ;D

Caz - you know it was really nice to hear that someone started on the same day.  Silly 'cos I know that there are other people going through this but all the same it feels less lonely.  My stomach is bloaty too - I feel fat and frumpy to be honest and just assumed it was me and not the drugs (maybe it is). I didn't expect a bloaty tummy at this stage so am relieved to hear that it's not just me.  Not sure what drug next, they gave me a list of possibles of which puregon is one. 

Salties - thanks for the support and good luck with the EC tomorrow. ^reiki^  Is it hard for you to get through the treatment schedule not telling anyone?  Sometimes I wish we had kept it a bit quieter because everyone feels they have to tell me their story about a friend, or friend of a friend who had fertility problems etc etc and it all worked out ok for them etc etc.

Tracy xxx

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Tracy - you're right - it is nice to know someone else is going through the same thing at the same time.... I'll keep posting as I go through, so maybe we can see this through together.
Am just sat waiting now for AF to arrive (hopefully not with too much of a vengeance) and will then go back to Eastbourne(Esperance) towards the end of next week for the baseline scan, then hopefully will start the Puregon just after.
We had two embies transferred last April up in a London clinic which sadly didn't take, but this time round I feel far more relaxed, a lot more in control and really raring to go. Am also trying to be really positive this time round. DH had to have a MESA and they have taken enough for 4 attempts which makes me feel a bit more relaxed about it all.

Keep in touch

Caz xx

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good to hear from you Tracy - I am also on my first ICSI cycle.  I injected buserelin and found that I got off lightly as far as side effects go.  I got a few minor hot flushes, but nothing too embarrassing or uncomfortable, and I did occasionally wake up with a headache but I could usually shift it by drinking loads of water.  I didn't find it all kicked in until about day 10 (I was down-regging for 3 weeks due to the christmas break).

Now I'm on menopur and didn't know how long I'd be stimming before egg collection.  At the beginning it was looking good for a 'text book' process with ec on day 12, but now as I've got further through it seems my follies aren't growing quickly enough so I have been put back.  I completely understand about work because I had cleared my diary for the week of ec and et, shoving everything back to the following week.  Now that it looks like I might be a week late with everything this puts me slap bang in the middle of a crazy week at work!!!!  Aaaagh!  Still, I work for myself and have a very understanding business partner (who's wife is also undergoing fertility treatment) so I'm sure I can re-juggle if need be.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted with your progress.
Katie x

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hi All,

Just to say I am on Day 12 of D/R today and the only side effects I have over the past 5 days in being very emotional, although I am finding myself a little ratty today but I guess thats due to AF yesterday.

This is my second attempt and on my first I suffered with the most horrendous headaches, so bad they practically began as I woke up and stayed until I went to bed. I was also extremely tired.

Strange how things change......

With work I also suffered, as I block booked my diary out for my EC and ET and then my cycle was abandoned - ahhh. Have block booked it again for this time but will have to wait and see..... Those I work with keep thinking I'm having a minor procedure and it just got cancelled at the last minute. Difficult I know if our dates change if D/R or stimming doesn't go according to plan.

Good luck everyone on your cycle.

Natalie x

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Tracey,

Im on day 8 of d/reg with buserelin injections.  Ive had the occasional headache and felt a bit emotional but that could be just because of the anticipation of it all! I hope everything goes well for you, I am waiting for my AF and hopefully start stimms next thurs/fri.\

Keep in touch with how it is all going.

Lots of love

Dawn33  :) :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Tracey, How are you getting on ?

Went for my baseling scan yesterday and will have to wait until Monday for my blood test results. Have you had a period yet ?
Mine sort of arrived on Wed but was only spotting and didn't turn into a full blown period . When I had my scan she said my lining was a bit thick, so am not sure what this means (as far as moving forward) . The nurse is hoping I will come on over the weekend but I don't feel as if I will.
If anyone reading this has experienced a similar thing, could you reply ? Last time I had ICSI I was sniffing Synarel and had a period but as I'm injecting Buserelin this time I'm not sure what is "normal".
Tracey, would love to hear how you're doing with all of this... it's pretty nerve-wracking isn't it (but really exciting at the same time !)

Love Caz xx

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello everyone

Well, my period started last Wednesday and I went for my scan and bloodtest today.  Apparently everything is ok and I am due to start stimming on Friday 28th and then go for another blood test on Sunday to see how I'm responding.  If all is well I have been told to expect EC and ET during the week beginning 7th Feb.

It really is nerve wracking - I can hardly bear the tension.  It's so difficult when you know that treatment could be stopped at any moment.  But so far, touch wood, things are going OK.

It's also very exciting but after all the treatment I've had before I do find it hard to believe that it will work.  I know we're supposed to do positive thinking but I think it's a thin line between being positive and expecting it to work.  I'm scared of building up my expectations only to have them dashed - how is everyone else coping with this??

Caz - I hope things are working out ok for you.  Did your period start properly this weekend?  ^reiki^

Dawn - looks like we'll be stimming at the same time.  let me know how you get on.  ^reiki^

Tracy xx

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi tracy
I just thought I would say Hi as I have my scan today and all being well my EC and ET should be during the week of the 7th Feb too.   ^banana^ I am having ICSI first cycle for me. I am also excited but last night I had a tough time and started to feel stressed about the whole thing. Can't make proper decesions at work as to whether to go up for a promotion as hopefully ICSI will work, but if it doesn't I need something to throw myself into. We will just have to support each other I guess. At least we all understand what it is like Best of luck to you and everyone else too. xx

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Tracey /Dawn

Have just posted an update on the Ask Nurse area, but just in case you haven't seen that....
yes I finally came on in the middle of the night Sunday (and very heavily).. the clinic said my oestrogen was very high, but that was ok cos I'd now got AF. Am due to start stimming on 250 of Puregon tomorrow night with an EC date of 8.2.05 (if all goes to plan) and then ET on either the 10th or 11th, so we'll all be at a similar point I guess.
I was frantic over the weekend in case I didn't come on in time but feel a lot happier now that it's almost back to "normal".

I know what you mean about being excited, as it's the second time (and I was really nervous the first time) I feel a lot more relaxed about it all as I know what to expect and how I'm going to feel. I am so determined to talk about "when" and not "if" this time and really hope my positive thoughts will pay off. It's difficult not to let negative thoughts creep in though at times.

We have also been asked to make a decision about how many embryos to transfer because as I'm 41 we get the option to transfer 3 this time... DH has said he'll need to move into the shed if we get 3 so we're currently thinking how feasible that would be !

Let's all hope that this is our year and that we all get lucky

Love Caz xxx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts