Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Does anyone have any experience or information relating to 6 day ET.

As I had 10 good embies on day 3 (8- 8 cell, 2-7 cell) it was decided to aim for blasto transfer on day 5  -today. Unfortunately as of 1pm today none have made it to blastos. Apparently I have 5 compacting and 1 cavitating embryo! Feeling very despondant as there is a real possibility none will make it to transfer and even if they do from the brief research i have done this afternoon it seems blastos that dont develop until day 6 dont equal good results.

Any info would be greatly received.

Cath
xx

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hey Cath

Sorry that you are having such a stressful time. We had a day 5 transfer, but two of our embies were left to day 6 as they hadn't made it to blasto - they ended up being as good quality (in terms of the grade they gave them) as the day 5 ones we also had frozen. So there is definitely hope for your little embies making it to blast on day 6. Really hoping it works out for you - hopefully people that have had day 6 transfer will be along soon.

Tabith x

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Cath,

Didn't want to read and run, but have no pearls for you I'm afraid.  I have never had anything but day 3 ET.  Why not give the embie docs another call to get some more info, it might be more productive and reasuring that asking Proff Google !! that can just make one more fretful I find!! Hang in there and I'm sure you'll be fine, you had a bumper crop..try to stay strong if you can I know if is such a hard time.

Lol Tinks XX

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi there,

I just wanted to say please don't lose heart.  I was in just the same situation as you in January and had a day 6 transfer with one 4AA blasto and one that was still a very early blastocyst.  I am currently pregnant with twins.  I had lost all hope but it goes to show you mustn't!

Good luck!

Gussy
xx

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi

My day 6 blasto became our precious little Evan. We had the same situation as you, a friend of mine had to wait for a day 6 transfer too and she had twin boys a week after I had Evan.
Don't despair - it's not common to have a day 6 transfer, but not hopeless either :)

MM xx

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you to those who took the trouble to reply to my post and share your experience or just offer support, I really, really appreciate it.

Will try to stay positive and see what tomorrow brings.

Very best wishes to all.

Cath
xx 

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Cath,

Please don't lose heart.

I had 3 left over from my first ARGC cycle, 2 of which were frozen on day 5 and the final one was left until the next day and frozen separately. 

The day 6 was the only survivor when they were thawed out and he coming up to his second birthday in a few weeks.

The ARGC embryologists are absolutely the best, keep faith with them.

Good luck

·
Registered
337 Posts
Did anyone get a reason why they had good day 3 embies but most arrested by day 5? It happened to me and the cycle didn't work. We have done a few tests since all of which were fine. Just wondered if anyone else was given a reason or test etc.

Thanks
S

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

Just a quick update. By yesterday morning 3 had made it to blasto, one was very poor quality but 2 were good (4ab, 4bb/c). The are now onboard. Not the great result we were hoping after having so many good embryos on day 3, but not hopeless either.

Star27, I have no idea why so many arrested, i'm guessing it must be poor egg quality, in both my previous cycles of the 6 and 4 eggs which fertilised  the best we had on both occasions was 2x8 cell which were transferred on day 3.

Cath

·
Registered
549 Posts
Cath - so glad that two made it to good blasts and best of luck with the 2ww. xxxx

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Star,
a friend of mine has done lots of research on this and I think that if your embies start to detoriate from day three that its most probably sperm related rather than egg related. I will PM her and see if she can send you a bit more info. She doesn't spend much time on the ARGC boards now.
Kx

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Krispichick

I would be really interested in any information your friend has too...

Thanks

Cath
x

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Hi,

Krispi asked me to post on this page because I have similar experiences where I get good day three embies and then poor blastocysts.  As you can see from my profile - I have three different donors so we can rule out the egg issue.

My Spanish Consultant told me that the embryo takes energy from the sperm at day three and he suspected that there was a sperm issue.  We had all the tests under the sun done (DNA fragmentation, endometrial biopsy etc) and all they found was inflammation of the uterus (endometriitis).

Interestingly, the ARGC and the Lister automatically assumed that my chemical was due to the egg.  I suspect that the age of my eggs did not help, but I do now think that at least one of my pregnancies may have continued if the sperm had been okay.

My partners sperm has high numbers of abnormal sperm.

Not sure if any of this helps

Fiona

On our last successful occasion, we did ICSI for the first time with donor, and I think that is what produced five good embryos! 

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hi Fiona
That viscerally interesting and thank you for posting. I am waiting for our follow up and am sure they will advise we go the donor route, would you mind me asking where you went and if you had any steroids ivig etc at ARGC did the Donar clinic offer that too.
Personal questions I know so please don't feel you have to reply.
Congratulation and all the best
Kate

·
Registered
337 Posts
Krispi/Fiona - Thank you both for posting

ARGC also told us that after day it is probably a sperm issue but again none of the sperm tests have found a problem and we have had ICSI both times.

Back to the drawing board!!

Sx

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Hi,

Stills, my clinic do not offer anything that doesn't have clear evidence to back it up
And all the things you mention to my knowledge are yet to be proven in a controlled setting.
I was told by the ARGC that I needed Humira and IVIG and had it, but I didn't get pregnant on these occasions.  Let's see what happens with this one. 

The quality of my embryos has always matched my hcg.  The embryologist was raving about the quality of the embies (never been said before).  So, to me, this seems to be the main thing.

I think that the ARGC are great, but I have to say, I know a few people who have gone on to have a donor and been successful (without immunes).  So, personally I don't believe it anymore.

Star, do you mind me asking your age.  In my case, my eggs were probably too old and weak to be able the produce good embies with poor sperm

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi Fiona - I don't mind - I'm 31 and have good FSH so I don't think egg quality is too much of a problem yet.

It seems so hard to get to the bottom of!
Sx

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi there,
Just to say I had a day 6 transfer, after being in the dungeon all ready to go on day five!! The embryologists changed their minds and asked me to wait another day. I freaked out, but one of the 2 they put back took and is now 10 weeks old. It can happen. Good luck!
N1girl x

1 - 18 of 18 Posts