Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi girls
can you give me some advice?
I am halfway thru icsi - was due to start stims this week but have been told i have wait till 7/5 as i need gen an for e/c and something to do with the bank holiday and theatre lists :mad:
Anyway i have scan on Mon 16/5 and e/c on either weds 18/5 or thurs 19/5 with a gen an - dep on my response to stims ( iam poor responder with high fsh (10) and i am on 8 amps of menopur)

If i have ec on 18/5- then e/c will be fri 20/5 BUT if i have e/c on thurs 19/5 then e/t could be on sat 21st BUT (again) as i need gen for e/t the hosp were unable to confirm this and said i may have e/t on Monday 23rd -a  day 5 transfer

So is there difference re success on day 3 or day 5 transfer
i'm feeling abit stressed and would appreciate some advice#
thanks CaseyX

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi Casey, sorry to hear you're treatment isn't straightforward.

From what i understand you cannot plan a 5 day transfer in advance because the embryos may have stopped dividing by then. It is only by looking at them every day that the embryologist can decide when ET will be. If you only have a couple of embryos and they are slow dividers they can't risk waiting for a 5 day (also called a blastocyst) transfer. So i don't see how your clinic can tell you this. If it was me i would speak to them again. Also, EC day is not day 1, the next day is.

Hope this is some help but i am no expert!!

Love Juliet xx

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Juliet
i asked the nurse if the wed- fri was a day 2 e/t and she said no it was a day 3
when i asked about the day 5 transfer - she said it would depend upon embryologist and i'm worried that they will delay to day for their convenience rather than to enhance my chances of success. i had a bfn in sept with ivf and would be so upset if i got to day 5 and couldn't have e/t ansd this was solely because they couldn't arrange gen an
maybe i'm being too negative at the mo -
anyway thanks for replying
Casey

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi Casey,

I really hope they don't do ET just to suit them. It is so critical to do it at the right time for the embryos, not the doctors!!

That is why i changed clinics to 1 that does EC, et and whatever else is needed 7 days a week.

I hope you get some answers,

Juliet

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi juliet
i know what you're saying- that's why i feel so upset but i don't know hat to do - i rang the clinic and the advice was really unclear like i've said and the nurse said how sorry she was that i was finding tx so stressful - which made me feel like a total neurotic
Do you think i should make appt with cons now ( i'd have to pay as we're private ) or should i wait until scan on 16/5 and see how i respond. I think even if i respond well & have e/c on weds 18th it will still be a day 2 transfer as et will be fri 20th - will this make any difference ?
i'm totally confused and feel really downhearted and upset
Casey

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi Casey,

I would make appt to discuss with the consultant as soon as you can. If you wait until your scan it will be difficult to change things.  Even though you'll have to pay it'll be worth it to set your mind at rest. But i would definitely ask to either see, or have a telephone consultation with the embryologist. They are the experts on embryos after all!

You are not a neurotic at all. IVF is so so stressful and you being upset is perfectly understandable. If it was me I'd be angry! I am in 2ww at the moment and a total headcase! Keep crying, snapping at DH etc etc.

Are you stimming at the moment? Where are you being treated

Sending you a big  ^Cuddle^

Juliet xx

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Juliet - i should have started sti,,img this week but the hospital have said i have to wait until 7/5 as they can't do e/c with gen an any earlier due to bank hol and theatre lists. They wanted me to wait until 14/5 but i refused as that would have meant i had to d/r for 5 weeks instead i will have had to d/r for 4 weeks - i'm not a happy bunny at the mo  :mad:
i've spoken to my dh and asked him to ring hosp 2morrow and make appt to see dr and when i'm there i'll ask to speak to embryologist and ask about days of e/t and chances of success
Do you think i should ask anything else?
Why do you think the nurse said weds - fri is a day 3 transfer ? I'm totally confused
Casey

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi Casey,

I'm not sure why the nurse said that but day 1 is definitely the day AFTER EC, therefore if you have EC Wednesday then Fri is day 2. On my 1st attempt i had a 2 day transfer, EC was on Thurs and ET Sat. Last week i had EC Tues and transfer Fri, which was 3 days. You can't have a 4 day transfer, can't remember why.  Hope this makes sense!!

I think you should just ask do they transfer the embryos on the optimal day to give you the best chance of a pregnancy. You deserve that, after IVF is very expensive!

Good luck with the phonecall, please let me know how you get on

Love Juliet xx

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Juliet
Well i rang the hospital and explained that i did not feel very reassured re dates etc and wanted an appt to speak to dr &/or embryologist. I was told that nursing sister had said to start my stims on Thurs 5/5 instead,and then have scan on Fri 13/5  ^eyes^
I will probaberly then have e/c on mon 16/5 or tues 17/5 and e/t will be weds 18th (day 2) thurs 19th (day 2 or 3) or fri 20th (day 3) according to our reckoning!) and i will have gen an.
This looks like the best possible solution unless i'm ready for e/c between fri 13 - sun 15 th - i am on max dose of menopur but i had poor response last time - so it will depend upon scan on 13th I assume i will have hcg injection on either sun or mon
I feel a bit more reassurred re e/t but also annoyed that this could not have been organised better. I'm now waiting for t/c from nursing sister to confirm
I'm still not sure if theres any difference between day 2 or day 3 e/t - i've looked thru back threads but can't see anything
Thanks for your support CaseyXX

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi Casey,

Glad you feel happier today. the only difference between a 2 & 3 day ET is that the embryos are more developed on day 3 so they can pick the best ones. On my 1st ICSI i only had 3 fertilize so there was no point in waiting to see which were the best as i was having 3 transferred. This time i had 4 so they wanted to pick the best 3 . By giving them an extra day they could see which ones were dividing well etc. If you have lots of embryos you can have a 5 day transfer because by then the embryos should be blastocysts and the embryologist can pick the best ones.

Love Juliet xx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.