Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies!

I am feeling quite down at the moment and it's got something to do with my ET yesterday. I had 11 eggs collected at EC and 6 fertilised.

I was called by the clinic to come in for 10:10 am ET with a full bladder. They wanted to transfer an 8 cell and 6 cell embryo. So, quickly got ready and off we went to Guy's for the transfer.

Got there quite late, bursting for a wee; had to let some out  . Then in for the transfer. I was shown pictures of the embies that they wanted to transfer. The remaining 4 will be left until Day 5/6 to see whether they are good enough to freeze.

Well, did the whole legs in stirrups, thing and speculum (ouch!), prep'd the cervix, lining etc and was ready for the ET.

2 embies were transfered and i was advised to get dressed and i could immediately empty my bladder and carry on as normal.

Which leads me to my question. Is it ok to carry on as normal? I asked the doctor if i needed to bed rest etc straight after ETand she reassured me that it was fine to go back to my normal routine, just not do anything strenous or lift anything heavy. She said there is no evidence that bedrest or going back to normal activities could increase or decrease the chances of pregnancy. So, i took the 1 hour journey home by tube, DH drove us home fom the station, rested for 2 hours then went out to the bank. I had to walk 10 minutes to the bus stop, caught the bus, then got off and had to walk again for about 15 minutes to the bank and had to do the same going back. To be honest i felt fine. Do you think i've overdone it? I just went by what my doctor had told me and now i am reading conflicting information on this site that ladies here bedrest on the day of ET; i think i've just blown my chances of this working now and am really depressed.

When the embies are transferred, do they attach to the utering lining or do they just float there until they implant? 'coz if they're just floating there then there's a big chance that mine might have come out due to gravity as i was on my feet quite alot yesterday. I know i'm just being silly but i really need to know. Any info is highly appreciated.

Really hoping and praying that i haven't hampered my chances because of my little trip yesterday to the bank.

Silverglitter79

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I know what you mean!  You get this mental image of them "bouncing around" & dropping out!! ;D

I've copied & pasted below from my Uk clinic's FAQ site (ISIS, Colchester) - hope it helps! :

Well life should go on as normally as possible after your embryos are replaced, but it makes sense to take things a little easier if you can, and try to de-stress during what can be a very tense time. Healthy regular meals and a good nights' sleep are recommended. We also recommend that baths are avoided for a week, and that swimming pools, jacuzzis and saunas should be avoided until the pregnancy test result. Most couples choose not to have intercourse during the 2 week wait for the pregnancy test, but there are no medical contraindications to sex after the first week has passed.

Embryos are normally deposited towards the top end of the womb cavity, where they float down into one of the deep folds of the soft womb lining, and settle there. The entrance passage to the womb is up to 3cm long, and has an inner and an outer gate, and contains a mucus plug that helps to seal things. We normally ask you to have a full bladder at the time of the embryo transfer to make the procedure a little easier, so it would be normal to pass urine immediately afterwards. When the bladder is emptied the womb curves over, thus ensuring that the exit route is further protected. Having a bumpy car or train journey immediately or at any time before the pregnancy test will not produce any untoward effects. The embryos will not move if you have diarrhoea or constipation, and are completely unaffected by the frequency of passing urine.

Stop worrying, I'm sure you've not done anything too awful!!

Good luck!  When do you test?  I'm next Sunday (25 May)

Love Jess xxx

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jess,

Thanks for your reply. My clinic also has a website with FAQ's and says the same: that you can resume to normal activities but just take it easy. They also gave me an information sheet with what not to do and do, what to expect etc. And my doctor did say it was fine to do what you normally do and i did mention the trip to the bank and she said that it was fine.

When i was walking to the bus stop and to the bank i was taking it easy. I definitely do walk faster normally than what i was doing yesterday. So i was being very cautious and slow. I just couldn't stay at home. I'm normally a gym addict so for me not to move around is quite a nightmare.

I test on the 29th. I had a Day 3 transfer. I am expecting a call from the clinic tomorrow or Monday if my other 4 embies have grown and are ok to freeze  ^pray^

All the best to you. I hope it's good news for both of us at the end of this long journey  ^reiki^

Silverglitter79

G

·
heres hoping you get a bfp....

i personally took bed rest as recommended by zita west in her fertilitity and conception book..but i know a lot of women whom like yourself just carried on as normal....theres no right or wrong thing to do its just personal...

^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^ for test day...

:-* :-* :-*

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I was told to imagine the embryos as being like a couple of raisins in a peanut butter sandwich, i.e. they can't move about or fall out.

I carried on as normal after ET, even did a little light hill walking and got my longed for BFP. My clinic always told me not to do anything that I would look back on and regret, so if your are happier doing little or even bed rest, then do it, but I personally don't think that it makes a difference, I have done the rest up routine and had a BFN.

Wishing you the very best of luck!

Jules

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I have always rested and followed Zita Wests guidelines of bedrest/sofa for a 4 days and then just normal sedate lifestyle, no exercise and no work- my clinic guide says to take it easy.
But they do float about and don't implant for 6+ days. Take care
L x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts