Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am considering to do a Donor Egg ivf programme in Spain after 5 failed ivf cycle.  I have come across 3 clinics - Instituto Bernabeu, Institut Marques and IVF Spain.  Anyone has any experiences in any of the above clinics?  Any comment and info will be very much appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Fonb

I have only had experience of Instituto Bernabeu. I was recommended them by the Lister Hospital in London where I had 3 unsuccessful attempts with OE IVF (I am 45....). Have just done my first DE IVF at IB. Had the transfer just before Xmas and have a BFP! We are ecstatic. I found it all quite disconcerting as it is a bit tricky logistically with an overseas clinic and I felt quite detached from what was going on but we have got the result we wanted (plus 4 top quality frozen blasts). Dr Castillo was great. And the whole transfer was very smooth, I felt very looked after and cared for. The clinic is very professional.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mrs45,
Congratulations and thanks for your info.  I am 40 this year and I also think that the egg quality is the problem.  Are you satisfied with the information of the donor in the clinic?  Also do you go to Lister for all the checks in London?

Congrats again!  Glad to hear good news.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hi there
I'm at IVF Alicante, went for a consult in October and 8 weeks later had my DE IVF transfer on 21st Dec and got my BFP on my birthday 31st Dec!  Just waiting on blood tests tomorrow to confirm.  Clinic very good and even though they are in Spain and I'm over here haven't found it too bad.  My NHS hospital have been great with doing scans and bloods that I've needed (paying them of course).  Luckily I struck up a good friendship with one of the fertility nurses (when I was doing IUI) and she's been amazing and kept me sane through the process!  I was torn between the same 3 clinics but decided on IVF Alicante as I did a Skype with them and liked them a lot.  Then I entered a competition through fertility road magazine that was with IVF Spain and managed to get a free consult and 5% off fees so that was our minds made up.  I think they are all fantastic clinics.  A friend of mine had her son through IUI Alicante. 

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Sallyt31,

Thanks so much for the info.  CONGRATS on the fantastic news.  Did you have detailed information on the donor and did you choose the donor or the clinic chose it for you?
I am just concerned about how detailed the information of the donor is and if we are able to choose ourselves.  Thanks again and good luck! 

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hi
i am 25 weeks pregnant after DE IVF at Instituto Bernabeu. We had a great experience with Dr Castillo and not so great when we had treatment at the weekend and didn't get him. The international dept and our assistant were fabulous. The equipment and facilities that come a standard were better than anything we'd seen here. The results speak for themselves and I'd recommend Dr C. I have a Spanish friend who lives in Alicante who told me they have the best reputation of all the clinics there.
I had my first cycle at an NHS hospital and then went straight to IB. We did it all direct and although it was daunting at first it was actually pretty easy. I had my scans etc done at a pregnancy scanning clinic and the GP did most of the tests they needed. We were quite inflexible with dates etc because we're teachers but it still worked out fine except once we did cut it pretty fine because the donor did  the respond to meds as quickly as they expectedly but that's not their fault. I'd recommend cutting out the middle man and going direct with the he clinic rather than through a UK clinic as it'll save money. I ad acupuncture there too and I'd definitely recommend that.

Good luck!

PS
We filled in a questionnaire and sent photos but the only info I go at about the donor was her age and blood type although I know they physically match you. Our donor was proven and to be honest that's wa the important thing for us.

·
Registered
771 Posts
It's standard they can't tell you too much about the donor other than age and blood type when u get to certain times in your pregnancy.  We also filled in a questionnaire and we were asked to list our top 3. that we would like to see from our donor.  At the end of the day you can sue clinics if they don't get it right.  There has to be trust between you and the clinic first and foremost. 
The clinic is beautiful and the service is second to none.  I looked at going local at first, Nurture in Nottingham as I was nervous about going abroad and it all working but have to say I am so relieved we bit the bullet and went abroad.  Go direct to clinic just like ljp64 says.  No need for middle man. 

Whichever you choose you will not be disappointed.  I have seen 3 consultants and they are all brilliant and make you feel at ease.  Speak 5-8 languages it's madness!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Ljp64,

Congratulations on the pregnancy!  Thank you for the info.  We are going to schedule a call with them and see how it goes.  Good luck with your pregnancy!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Sallyt31,

Thanks so much for the info.  We are going to make a phone appointment with them directly and see how it goes.  Fingers crossed! 

Glad to hear from this forum that it seems that they are good clinics in Spain. 

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
my wife and I were also doubting between clinics in Spain but decided on IVF-Spain but decided on them because the contact with them was best. we must have asked a 100 questions and they took the time to answer all of them via phone and email before we confirmed any treatment.  We´re flying over for a first consult next week so we´re very excited ;D. I´ll let you know how it went if I remember too. I think what they can tell you about the donor is the same for each clinic since it depended on Spanish law. Best of luck to you  :)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Good luck to you and your wife theschipper.  I got bloods back as 2531 so well pregnant.  IVF Spain I can't thank them enough.  Just praying now it all goes ok. 

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Theschipper,

Thanks for the info and good luck to you and your wife.  I just got off the phone with IVF-Spain and she does sound very convincing. 

Still waiting from IB and have spoken to IM.  I think we are going to decide soon and think a trip to Alicante is happening soon  :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
The institutes Bernabau website looks very informative. Some great positive stories here and well done on the BFPs! Am I right in estimating a full DOnor egg cycle would cost around €10000 incl flight and accommodation?

Do you have a choice of ethnicity/skin tone at this clinic as you do in the UK?

Huge thanks in advance

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi just want to share where I am at this point.  I have managed to speak with 2 clinics - Institut Marques and IVF-Spain.  I am still waiting to get a  hold of the guidance counsellor at Instituto Bernabeu.  Between the 2 that I have spoken with I am more impressed with IVF-Spain.  But maybe because the person I had a discussion with was more articulate in explaining what they do.
From what I understand, they will choose the donor based on what your look / ethnicity.  IVF-Spain is more confident that they can find a match for my ethnicity ( I am of a Chinese descent) while Institut Marques still needs to check the availability of donor. 
Also, from my conversation with the 2 clinics, IVF-Spain gave me a more reassurance than IM that we can choose the education background as a requirement.  However, they will still choose the donors (they said they will choose up to 5 donor candidates and start contacting them starting from the one who they think will have the strongest egg quality and move down the list based on their availability).  So, in the end you have to be trust them. 
My plan is to have a consultation with the doctors with all 3 clinics and make a decision after we speak with the doctors with our history.  We also plan to make a trip to Alicante to have the consultation with IB and IVF-Spain while doing a skype consultation with IM.  Will keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I actually think they are all amazing.  I met Dr Szlarb at consultation and then had Dr alveraz for 'talk' on fertilisation day and then Dr Herrera on transfer day.  All brilliant ladies!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello Fonb
Thank you for starting this thread because i too have been looking at these three clinics, i did a search on egg donation friends and all the above clinics have very high success rates..is it okay to join here and see how you get on ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts