Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Ruth, I am aware that you have previously emphasised only 6 months try of clomid. I have spoken to my clinic about this as they say that I need to have 6 ovulatory cycles with clomid and that it doesn't matter how many times I have had clomid otherwise. I'm worried as I know clomid has its concerns. I am due to start my 7th dose of clomid and because I have only ovulated twice, they want me to have 4 more before I can be considered for IVF.

The nurse has also scared me by saying that when I see the consultant for follow-up, he will most likely suggest trying on clomid for longer as he prefers to see 12 ovulatory cycles before going for IVF. I've already changed consultants once, but now I feel like I'm being put at risk. When I discussed this, I was told if I haven't ovulated, then my body hasn't reacted to clomid and therefore I am not at risk of side effects. I'm already seeing a counsellor, and feel like I'm losing control of this journey. Please help.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I too was told to stay on the Clomid for a year. 

My consultant also told me a very similar story about the risks.  And I have every confidence in her.

I also got a BFP on my 8th cycle of Clomid.

Please don't worry.

Becky

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Hi Becky,

I'm no nurse, but why are they keeping you on it for so long if its obviously not helping you ovulate.  What doseage are you on?

I was put back on Clomid in June and after 2 cycles in which I failed (1 at 50mg and 1 at 100mg) to respond I was put forward for IUI.  I know every Clinic is different, and I have heard of quite a few women who have had over 12 cycles, I'd be questioning why they aren't doing somthing extra to help induce the Ovulation, maybe injectibles and folicle tracking.

Hope I've not stepped over any boundaries, just wanted to add my experiences.

Take care

Emma xx

·
Registered
135 Posts
If it helps I was put on 6 months of Clomid, although I only did 3 months as it didnt agree with me but my fertility unit said that they would prescribe upto 12 months but only in very rare circumstances.

Becks

X X X X

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
God, got Flu head at the mo,

Was meant to address my post to Rowena, sorry had been reading Becky's posts too  :-[

Love

Emma xx

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I was always aware of a six month limit on clomid but interestingly the RCOG have updated their views to those of the NICE guidelines which does actually say up to 12 months but the couple must be offered monitoring of scans for at least the first cycle to ensure correct dosage is being given. If you have only had blood tests then do ask for scanning. I would certainly not just keep taking till you have had 12 ovulatory cycles as they realy should have moved you to a different form of treatment before then.

Ruth

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for replying everyone.
Becky, I'm impressed with the BFP on the 8th cycle. How are you doing?

Emma, Last year (2003/4) I had 2 cycles with clomid at 50mg, no ovulation. Then 1 cycle at 100mg with ovulation day 14, then 4th cycle at 100mg with no ovulation. Was not happy with consultant for various reasons and changed. Then after losing 2 stone in weight (BMI now 23) in 6 months, I tried cycle no. 5 at 50mg and ovulated day 30. Then I've just had cycle no. 6 at 50mg but didn't ov again. I had been really hopeful as I'd lost the weight and felt so positive. I'm now due to start 100mg. I've asked about IUI, but they don't have anything to do with it. The options are clomid, or injections if I don't ovulate with clomid. Then IVF, but this isn't available on NHS yet here, perhaps from April. I'm very scared and have tried to go for egg sharing but having difficulty being accepted due to PCOS. Any advice appreciated.

Becks, thanks for the info.

Ruth, thanks. I had scanning on my first cycle, then weekly blood tests days 14, 21, 28, 35 since then. Trouble is, as there is no NHS funding for further treatment, I'm trying to work out whether we should continue clomid, pay for IUI, pay for IVF or shout at Blair / John Reid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts