Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it was back in May now, our beautiful daughter is 4 months old now and has cut her first tooth yesterday so we are very proud!

I was 40w+3, and the midwife said I had pre-eclamptic symptoms so I was rushed into hospital where they ran further tests on me while I was admitted for observation.  I was not happy about this but I thought, whatever is safest for me and my bub.  This was a Tuesday.

Unbeknownst to me, my midwife was phoning up my consultant to recommend induction even though I had said that I didn't want to be induced because I wanted as natural a labour as was possible (pah!).  On Wednesday they told me they hadn't made their minds up yet and I would have to wait.  On Thursday morning at 9am they said it was likely I was to be going home. At 9:30 I was being taken to the induction suite where a student midwife, who knew nothing about what she was doing it seemed attempted to give me my first prostaglandin pessary.  They told me to walk around as much as possible as this would help. 

For the next four hours, I paced and paced up and down stairs and down the street outside the hospital in my dressing gown and slippers, even to the shop down the road.  My contractions were becoming more painful and when I went back to see how I was doing, I was 4 1/2 cm dilated and going well into my labour.

They said that I would be one of those people who went really fast through labour so they didn't even give me another pessary.  They left me in pain in the induction suite until Friday morning ,when they phoned up the delivery suite and said that 'this woman' (I presumed they were talking about me) had been in labour since lunchtime the night before but hadn't progressed past 4 1/2cm, so I was then taken to the delivery suite where they broke my waters and told me to walk around again and to go back in two hours time.

Same routine, walking around.  Go back and I was still 4 1/2cm.  They decided to put me on a drip to kick start my contractions.  WELL!!!! They sure kick started, that's for sure.  The midwives said my contractions were off the chart at places and with no gaps in between, so I was having 25-30 minute long contractions with a gap of about 5-10 minutes then they would start again, I had a "dysfunctional labour" because of this reason, so they kept changing my dose of oxytocin, so after I had been in established labour for 24 hours already, they re-checked my cervix, which still hadn't budged off 4 1/2cm, not even up to 5 cm's the blasted thing!!! Thus far I had been trying to cope on gas and air and the midwive who was there, she was nice, Em her name was, said I couldn't physically carry on because my body was exhausted and she medically recommended an epidural.  This had to be the most upset I was to this point, I never wanted an epidural, but I was also knackered!!!  So I wanted about 20 minutes for an epidural, and they knew that between my riduclously long contractions I had a window of maybe 10 minutes for them to administer the epidural, and this wonderful anaesthetist came and did it, and I was instantly relieved.  It was great for a while, by this time it was Friday night and Emmerdale was on and I watched that, by the time Eastenders came on, I was feeling pain right in my groin.  The midwife said that the epidural should stop that pain but it might be just the pressure of the baby.  They called the aneasthetist back who looked and said that the tube thingy had moved slightly and wasn't working as well.  She re-administered it, 30-45 mins later, I was feeling pain all down my right side.  I told them to stick it by this time and I was going to just deal with it.  The midwife said that she would re-check my cervix, which thankfully had gone to 8cm.  I thought I was nearly there, and I should just hang in there now.  Another student midwife checked my baby and then said it was a breech baby!  I was so upset.  The actual midwife came back and checked and said no that she had a very large caput on her head which was squishy like a bum!!!!!  Thank god it was OK I thought  She said that she needed to catheterise me again for some reason so there she was sticking this little thing up there and my baby's heartrate dropped off the chart  All the alarms went off and I was rushed onto my side with an oxygen mask while all the surgeons and doctors came to check little bub.  It turned out the midwife was poking my baby's head with the catheter stick thing and bub took offence!!!! That peeved us off as you can imagine! Onwards and upwards I thought.  10pm turned into 1o'clock Saturday with another shift change.  I was dealing with things as well as I could considering, and finally the midwife said, you are fully dilated, I need to check if it is OK for you to push and I will be back!  Back she came 5 minutes later and said "OK Debbie, let's go for it!"  So I was pushing and pushing, in between pushs she was checking my blood pressure because of my pre-eclampsia, talk about putting you off your stride"  My BP went up to 210 over 120 and she told me I had to stop pushing and I was to be wheeled down to theatre to have a forceps delivery

I thought, OK, fair enough, not as bad as a caesarean, because if you read some of my previous posts on here, this was my final nightmare scenario, and I was petrified of having one!!!  Anyway, down in theatre they took my poy epidural out and gave me a spinal block which, if anyone has had one, is fricking awful!  I felt like I couldn't breathe properly!  Anyway, after that I was laid down and whatever and in goes the doctor with a ventouse (where the forceps went I'll never know) and they told me to push, now girls, anyone who has had a spinal must know how impossible it is to do anything let alone push, so I tried and tried without even knowing if I was or not because I couldn't feel a pushing sensation at all, all I thought I was doing was contorting my face!  The nurses and midwives all round was cheering saying how well I was doing, then the doctor shook her head and said no, sorry, we have to do a caesarean.  So that was it, at 3:06am Saturday 14th May 05, my beautiful daughter Lily Mae was born weighing 9lb 1.5oz with a massive huge mop of black hair (which is why the ventouse didn't work apparently!) and I was wheeled out to recovery.

We left hospital on the Tuesday, after an infection which I needed antibiotics for and I was also told I had severe anaemia, which I thought I could handle as long as I got home, but no, the next day I actually could not lift my tea cup and the midwife got me rushed back in for a blood transfusion, and since then I got progressively better every day.  Three wound infections later and here I am, happy as larry, with my stunningly beautiful daughter and I am wanting more kids!!!!!!  Crazzeeeee or what!!!!!

When I went back into the hospital for a check up though, I started shaking and crying so it must have effected me quite badly.

I am glad to say that the docs and midwives have all said that most women don't have it as bad, and I wouldn't therefore tell any woman how bad labour is, because we are all different!!!!

I am upset I had to have a caesarean at the end of a nearly 40 hour labour, but my little Lily is worth so much more than I went through!

Well, that's my story guys....

Take care

Debs xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Debs,

Great to see you back on here and to hear you and Lily are doing well. I didn't get the birth I wanted either and it's a real pig isn't it, but I really feel for you to have gone through the labour you did. I know I shouldn't but I had to laugh at you being told to push after you'd had a spinal block. ;D

Some of us post on the Birth Club board now as and when we have time so feel free to jump in.

Chux xx

·
Registered
251 Posts
Debs - what a nightmare time you had. Can't believe half the stuff you had to go through!!

You have your beautiful Lily as a result and I'm sure she was worth every single minute of pain you felt!

Well done!

Lou xx

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Hi Debs,

Sounds very very similar to my labour too - I really feel for you as it also affected me quite badly afterwards. 
Epidural and caesarean were also my nightmare scenarios (I wanted a water birth -pah!) as I was petrified of both and as it happens they both did turn out to be a nightmare.  Had trouble getting the epidural in due to my swelling and I passed out after the caesarean due to loss of blood.. I also needed a transfusion.. uncanny how similar our stories are!

Anyway, glad you've managed to put it all behind you enough now to think about doing it all again. 
Well done and love to Lily.. they're so worth it aren't they!
x

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Oh my god!  Very scary story to read, but you have a beautiful daughter to show for it.  Can't believe that you're already talking about having more though!!  ;D

Niki x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.