Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Can anyone give us any advice on the following please,our prep course is over now last day was friday last week it went really well and both ny DH and I enjoyed the course, our trainer was brill and we found it so helpful - Well we have to wait for our application form etc now and wait to be allocated a SW, can you give me some advice please, wehave said that we wanted to adopt 1 child but since have also thought about 2 (sibling brother and sister) but depends on finances, we were told that we may be able to get financial help though if we adopt 2 - when we see the SW next what would you suggest we do - tell SW that we would like a sibling group of 2 boy and girl as I dont think we could say we were looking for 1 but would also like to be considered for sibling group of 2 as they said on the course that if a couple say 1 child the computer only looks for 1 child and if we said sibling the computer would just look for that to - so I am not really sure what to say to SW, any suggestions.

crazybabe

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Hi Crazybabe

Congrats on finishing the prep course!  Its a big step in the right direction.  Hope you don't have too long await for your application form and getting started on home study.

Initially we wanted a sibling group of up to 3 but in the end decided to be approved for 1-2 children, 0-4yrs with the idea we could go through it again in the future (or not depending how things go!).  Our SW was surprised that we wanted to be considered from the start for single children rather than after say 6 months but luckily for us this decision proved right as theres only been 1 sibling group in our age range since Sept and they had to go out of county.

I don't know what age range you are considering but if you say 1-2 children you will cover yourselves and be considered for both.

Good luck
OT x

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Oldtimer

Thanks for the reply - we have said the age of 0-5 as that was what we were advised by the VA, we hopefuly will receive the application pack etc one day this week, did you write yours or type it - I think we will write it out in rough first as this is so important to us we don't want to make any mistakes, how long did it take for you after your prep course to receive application form be allocated a SW and start home study etc hun.

crazybabe

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Hiya

We wrote ours out but did the chronolgical bit in rough first and the extra pages we needed we typed.  Its quite a hefty form so take your time, a few days won't make a huge difference in the timing.

After our prep course we had to contact the Head of Adoption and request the application form, we actually did this before the last day but weren't allowed to give it back in until after the last day.  DH hand delivered it back on the Monday after the course had finished on the Friday.  We then had a relatively short wait of 8 days to get a phone call from our allocated SW but due to staff shortages etc we had started home study before we got the official letter!  After the phone call we started HS 2 weeks later.

OT x

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hiya OT

Isn't strange how different agencies do things different, with us at the end of the last day of prep course the SW asked everyone if you decided they still wanted to go ahead with adoption to let her know, which we did and she put a tick against our names, and told us they will send us a application form in the post etc.  How many visits did you have from SW for home study.

crazybabe

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi OT

Do you know if you get any financial assistance for adopting a sibling group, I know its a horrivle question to ask and we are not at all in this for the money this is why we said just one child 0-5 but I know that the SW mentioned that there could be some help if we adopted two.

I bet your so excited to meet your little boy, i am excited for you too.

take care

crazybabe

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Hiya

I think we had 12 visits for the home study.  They were quite long, 2-3hours, because we talked about all sorts - luckily for us we were always the last appointment of the day for SW and she was in no hurry to get home.  Friends of ours had meetings first thing Monday mornings and were always kept to an hour.

Each LA is different and seem to have different ways of doing everything!  Ours pay £600 setting up grant ( soon to be reduced) and though we are only having the one now we were advised to apply for an allowance and see what happens, SW thought we may get half of allowance.  Anyway, we applied and have been given a full allowance (£60/wk)  so it was worth filing in the form.  We weren't going to bother applying for one child but with the way utility bills, diesel, food and mortgages are going up, giving up work for 12 months was going to leave us really skint.

Yes, we are excited about meeting Littlie though it still seems a bit unreal at the moment.  Getting his room ready seems a bit mad but the time is passing quicker now which is good.

Love
OT x

1 - 7 of 7 Posts