Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Can you help?  My DS is now 15 weeks old and is waking up every 3 hours.  This is what he did as a newborn!  From about 8 weeks he started sleeping from 9 til 5 and then had a feed and went back to sleep til 6.45.  Occasionally he would sleep right through.  Wonderful.  Then at 11 weeks he started waking at 3 and then 5.  Last week this has gotten worse - he now wakes at 12, 3 and 5.  Its an absolute nightmare.  I'm shattered and don't know what to do.  He isn't hungry at every waking - at 12 I put him down again after 5/10 mins and he was out like a light.  I just don't seem to have the wherewithall to get him back to sleep any othe way.

DP is useless, just keeps saying, oh we'll find a way through this but he never gets up to help settle LO.  Only suggestion he has made so far is keeping LO up even later, making him 10 times more cranky, and he has slept even worse.

Have tried the following so far:

topping up with formula at last BF before bed
Getting him to bed earlier
Getting him to bed later

None of which seems to have much effect.

Is there anything you can suggest.  I'm really starting to struggle with the lack of solid sleep

tabbyxx :'(

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Hi Tabby,

When he wakes do you leave him for a few minutes to see if he will resettle himself? I used to go into J the minute he murmured thinking that I'd catch him before he woke up too much but, in actual fact, I was waking him up even more as one night I waited a few minutes and he went back off of his own accord. Is his room pitch black? If so could it be that he doesn't like it, especially if it's light when he goes to sleep? Have you tried putting a nightlight in his room? I definitely wouldn't keep him up later as he'll just get overtired and struggle to sleep even more.

He is still quite young and whilst I know some do sleep through from early on, other babies take that bit longer - my ds was 8 months before he slept through and dd was even older although they both stopped nightfeeds earlier.

Chux xx

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Hi,

Has his day time sleeping pattern recently changed? Or does he not really have a day time sleep routine? I'm a big believer in that good day time sleep = good night time sleep. My little one is 13 wks so not too different and I don't really let him sleep more than 3 hours between 0700 & 1900 and 2 hours ish of that is in one block.

I'm not bf now but have 2 close friends who are still bf their little ones and the same has happend to both of them - slept pretty well but now back to frequent night wakings - they both started weaning at 4m at the advice of their HV as neither were prepared to introduce formula (assuming hunger may be an issue if he's 14lb+ ish?)

Is he still sleeping in a moses basket/carrycot? If so, It might be that he's waking himself up by catching his arms/legs on the sides? Also, are you still using sheets/blankets or have you switched to sleeping bags? This can help as well (did for my lo).

Just some ideas - hope you can find a solution to help you soon - sleep deprivation is soooo not funny  ^hugme^

S xxxx

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi girls

Thanks for taking time to reply.  I usually give him a few minutes to see if he'll settle as he's a rather noisy sleeper at the best of times!  He sleeps with a nightlight on in our room.  He's still in his moses basket, but he is a big boy and is getting to the stage when we'll need to put him in his cot.  he has a sleeping bag on as he used to make such a racket with his blankets.

Daytime routine is difficult to enforce as he's a very reluctant napper too.  I've been trying to follow the spirit (if not the letter) of the baby whispering approach, so I work on making sure he's up, fed, active and then sleeping for a bit.  When I finally manage to get him off for a nap (today he woke at 6 and I tried without success to get him down for a nap at 8.30 and then 10.30), he doesn't sleep more than 2 hours in the morning.  I try to get him to have another nap in the afternoon but this is usually shorter, say about an hour.

I just wish I could encourage him to settle himself to sleep without me having to do all the hard work of driving/pram pushing/feeding.  It means I get no rest in the day on top of a very broken night's sleep. 

Any suggestions I'd love to hear them
xx

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
Hi huni,

Firstly, big  ^hugme^ for you!!

I am also following the babywhisperer approach with C at the mo as he was forever waking up in the night and a really naff napper during the day - try 45mins at best!! So, I worked out that he was getting overtired and so wouldn't sleep very well at night.

What I have been doing is also trying to follow the E.A.S.Y approach but not to the letter as C is now mainly on solids and the EASY routine for his age is still on full feeds of milk.

Have you tried pat-shush?? C was a monster for needing props to get off to sleep - cuddles, being in our bed, walked / jiggled in the pram etc. I started shushing C and stroking his nose when it was time for sleeps and so far so good. The patting was useless with C as he found it hilarious so I substituted stroking. I put C down for his naps in his pram in the living room but the pram doesn't move at all once he's in it. He is now slowly starting to sleep longer in the day - over an hour - and the last few nights have been better. Only one 'wake-up' looking for his dummy and even then he doesn't really wake up properly.

The main aim of pat-shush is teaching the babe to self settle.  ;) ;)

If you do want to follow the babywhisperer approach, try this site: www.babywhisperer.com

There, you can actually ask other people's advise in implementing the EASY approach and they will help with sleep issues too. Defo worth a try!!

Hope you get there very soon huni!! I waited til a couple of weeks ago before I got to the point where I was sooo pee'd off with DH for not helping that now he's away for a few days, I can really get to grips with this teaching to self-settle lark!!

Hope this helps!!

Mandy xx ^kitty^

/links

1 - 5 of 5 Posts