Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Just wanted to pick your brain- is it usual for someone to be diagnosed with PCOS from ultrasound alone (e.g. no other symptoms other than infertility but having regular periods)?

That seems to be where my diagnosis is heading but it seens odd that no other big symptoms/
any thoughts?

cheers
muji

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Hi Muji,

At our first hosp appointment the Doc did a scan, decided I have PCOS and has stuck by that ever since which I have always doubted as I don't have any symptoms apart from weight issues. I even asked again after my lap but she assured me that yes I do have PCOS, so I guess you can have it without the symptoms.

Chux x

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just my thoughts. As far as I know, from reading etc.

You can have polycystic ovaries (which would be picked up from a scan, apparently this is quite common.) without having PCOSyndrome. This is confirmed by hormone tests (blood tests, usually done on day 2-5 of your cycle) & is to do with the ratio of LH to FSH.

hope this doesn't confuse!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Muji,

yes you can have pco without outward signs, I have pco on ultrasound but I do not have any "signs" as such, no hairiness, normal weight, did have a bout of spots a few years back but not for long. My cycles can be from 32 days to 42 days long, and some months my hormone levels are very erratic.

Some women can have all the signs of pcos but no problems of fertility and others can have no signs but have a terrible time trying to concieve. It is not a very well understood condition. It can become more ingrained as time goes on.

Sammy x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts