Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took an hcg shot (10,000 IUs) on Thurs. night at 10 pm to prepare for my IUI 12 and 36 hours later.  At the 37 hour mark, I did a scan before the IUI and found that I still had not ovulated!! All day today I have had twinges but cannot say for sure if I've ovulated.  Is this abnormal NOT to ovulate after 36 hours with an hcg (I only have 3 follies... when doing egg retrieval in the past I would take 12,000 IU of hcg for 13-18 eggs!! and never had any problems at egg collection...)

Secondly, is it possible to ovulate and then still get pains, twinges from the ovary that ovulated?

Thanks so much for help!!
Auggie

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
Hi Auggie,

I'm not a nurse but I'm sure the timing is ok for your IUI.  There is some leeway presumably in terms of ovulation after the trigger shot (36-40 hrs).  So even if you hadn't ovulated at the scan, I'm sure you have now.  The sperm is already there to meet the egg, which is good.  The pain may indicate you have ovulated, but I'm not sure.  I believe ovulation is inevitable once you have had an hcg trigger (however I am not an expert).

Egg collection is different as it is an intervention and deliberate 'harvesting' of the eggs - they do not 'ovulate' naturally.  IUI is more like natural ovulation, even though triggered by hcg, where the egg(s) bursts through the corpus luteum ready to be fertilized in vivo by the sperm.

I hope you get some answers.  If in doubt, talk to your doctor.
Wishing you the best of luck
Daisy
x

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I have known women ovulate up to 40 hours after injection so I wouldn't worry. You can ovulate and still get pains from that ovary as the burst follicle leaves a corpus luteum which can feel like a cyst.

Ruth

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ruth and Daisy!  I'm a bit more conforted by your posts!!!

I started feeling some cramping around 1pm yesterday which would be close to the 40 hour mark, but then I got bigger pains from my right side around 3pm and then again at 5pm and it felt like I ovulated as the bloating went down a bit and I felt like something was released and the 'pressure' was off so to speak. 

But still this morning I get these sharp pains in my right side????!!! I talked to my doc and he said the same thing you did about the pains can still come after you ovulate ... so I'm trying to feel more at ease...

Auggie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts