Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Hope you can help me with a bit of advice.

I have asked before about Barney's eating habits when at 10 months he was starting to refuse food and change his habits. leading on from that he will now no longer take anything other than yoghurt off a spoon but has no interest in doing it himself with a spoon although we are giving it a go at most feeds.

Basically, everything has to be finger food now for him to do it himself and his main staples are bread, cheese, fruit, eggs, fish or chicken goujons and sweetcorn with vegetables hidden somewhere in that.

My worries are that his diet is becoming a bit limited and also can he be eating too much fruit?

I am of the thinking that as he gets older and able to feed himself with a spoon he may start to get a bit more adventurous and i do give him different foods each day but he usually just throws them on the floor after a taster..

He has fruit at every meal (blueberries, bananas, strawberries, grapes, melon, mango, pears, apples, blackberries, raisins, prunes) and can eat large amounts and I was wondering of this is ok as this makes up a huge part of his diet?

And finally, he is fully on cows milk now and has approx 4oz from a beaker in a morning and 9oz from a bottle at night. He is not too keen on the milk from a beaker in the morning due to the beaker and drains the bottle at night. I cannot at the moment see how i am going to get him to take 9oz from a beaker so how detremental is it to his teeth if i continue to give him 1 bottle a day for the time being as i find this bit confusing.. He only ever drinks water or milk, no juice..

Despite his limited diet he has continued to put weight on and is 13.8kg (30lb 8oz) at 1 year and on the 91st centile for height so is a big boy. He is also crawling at pace and pulling up on furniture and thinking about walking..

Thank you,
Tikki

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hi Tikki

Whats important is that he is getting what he needs and that is shown by his weight gain  :)

He needs 5 portions of fruit or veg a day.

Are his poos ok?? Often that will be the first sign if getting too much fruit or veg  ;).

Keep doing what you are..new foods as tasters. As he gets older you may find that he experiments more esp if you are getting at the same time as him.

He needs approx 350ml milk/ 24hours at his age. A lot of baby's at his age are still having milk in a bottle so you do whats best for your child.

He is on a varied diet which is good. Would he have pasta as a finger food?? You can give it with a tiny bit of sauce or on its own maybe with a little grated cheese on top. I think boots do some pasta which is naturally brightly coloured which might grab his attention.

Let me know about his poos.

Jxxxx

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeanette,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Regarding his 'poo'- oh, the joys of motherhood when you have to describe poo..

He goes 2 to 3 times a day (usually during or after eating) and it tends to be soft and formed and usually of a browny colour with lots of bits in it....

Anything else that you need to know?

Regarding pasta, I have a child that will not eat it and never has which is very irritating as I eat loads of it and it is soooooo versitile- I am the queen of cheese on toast now and can do 101 different things with it.....

Tikki

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hiya Tikki

His poos sound ''normal'' so thats good..often if a child is having too much fruit & veg they can have very loose poos.

He is on a varied diet..so if you are concerned get him weighed monthly for the next few months and see how he is doing.

Jxx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts