Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

When my dh and I first went to the GP last Sept dh gave two sperm samples which both came back at under 1 million.  The first was 800,000 and the second 400,000.  Both were undertaken at the local NHS hospital.  DH had to make a appointment to drop them off and deliver them within 1 hour of, erh, doing it!  They were either frozen or re-fridgerated and assessed later.

So, the results were pretty consistent.

Approx 2 months later, after a few weeks of no alcohol/caffeine and we started vitamins he froze a sample of 12 million on advice of BUPA who felt production might cease altogether given the low numbers.  

He subsequently tested at the same BUPA unit at 3m (although were signs of infection which could have reduced numbers) and 8 m on day of our ICSI.  

It's hard to believe that his count had improved to 12 m after only a few weeks of not drinking/no caffeine/vitamins.  Particularly as it didn't improve further after a solid 4 months on that regime.  

I was wondering if the difference could have been caused because the samples were stored before being counted.  Whereas the BUPA samples are "drop tested" there and then.   Does anyone know?

Also has anyone had a difference between NHS and private counts?  I know this sounds improbable, but dp has convinced himself the NHS can't count!

We were very lucky to be successful on our first ICSI attempt and are looking forward to Dec 3 when our baby girl is due.

But these questions niggle at us both.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Claire

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

First of all congratulations!!!!  So pleased for you and your fella!  Yip we have also experienced the same probs, and both myself and my hus feel this was proved on a recent visit last week to a private clinic.  To cut a long story short over the last 2/3 yrs my hus has done 5 NHS SA's.  2 of which were 10-15 mil, 1 apparently uncountable & 2 under 1 mil.  I had a lap done just to double sure and NHS cons informed us it was male factor, therefore we were referred to NHS.  But due to w/l couldn't wait and had private app last week, were confirmed S count was 12mil.  Our opinion on this, the NHS workers ain't as understanding (or bothered) with the importance of the analysis, but to us it is vital.  If it is frozen I'm sure the results are altered, we think maybe with ours they just left it for a bit.  I suppose that is the superiority of being able to go private, you have the care, service and attention that you deserve.  We are so glad we went private as it put an end to lot's of questions and head work for us both.  We are planning on starting our first icsi next july when we can save enough money to go private.  Hope we're just as successful as you

Daisylou x

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi

My DH has had three tests all with varying results but round the same sort of number (all in their twenties).  I was always told that the samples should be tested there and then (otherwise why drop it off within the hour? ???)

Maybe because they froze one and did one straight away they were different.  I have to say though the lowest count we got was the private one done about 6 months after reversal.  The most recent one was best and that is almost 2 years after his reversal. 

Hope this helps

Bernice

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hello Girls,

I don't think it matters whether or not the s/a has been carried out NHS or private - it is the fact that you are using different clinics with different embryologists which might add to the variation.  We have used 4 clinics, and had over 12 s/a's carried out - 6 NHS and 6
private and the counts are all over the place, which can be due to men naturally having some variability, fevers, run down etc.

At the end of the day for ICSI you only need one!

Yvonne

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
OOhhh YES!

We had a few tests done through NHS standard path lab testing, they are meant to follow NHS NICE guidelines which mean that they are counted withing 30mins of 'delivery'. DH's have been counted at 45mins, 50mins etc. Had a couple done at NHS fertility unit, including a swim up test etc and would you believe it they are far far better results.

NHS path labs are renowned for being untrained and slack at testing within NICE guidelines.

It is hard for the couple on the receiving end of this news isn't it?

Good news that your DH has had enough for your TX, Really hope all goes well.

Charlie xx

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
It's frightening to think there can be such a difference depending on who does the SA isn't it!

My DF got his SA results from the gp recently.  He'd made it clear that the results were very important to us & that it could determine whether or not we ttc naturally or with assistance, yet the results were given on a scrap of paper, and they hadn't looked at morphology and other things which we'd expected would be looked at automatically.

Our consultant who did DF's vasectomy reversal translated the results for us but wasn't impressed with the tests that were carried out, and the fact that our gp openly admitted to us that he didn't know enough to be able to interpret the results himself!! ::)

We're due to have another sa done after Christmas, and after what I've read on here, you ladies have confirmed my fears about nhs testing.  I think I'll have a look and see if we can get the next sa done privately.

^fairydust^

Katie x

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Hi there,

We had radical differences between the NHS and a private clinic. The NHS results varied but all came back as borderline. When the same test was repeated at the clinic we were told that although the count was borderline there was no chance of conceiving naturally as DHs sperm don't swim. ICSI was our only option (and we've been lucky enough to be successful). IMHO the NHS were a complete waste of time as infertility is not a priority for them. If we'd had the full picture earlier we wouldn't have wasted time with pointless tests and with hindsight I'm rather upset with them.

lol

Edna

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Hi Edna,

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with nhs testing.  As I said just now, it's scary to think that we are relying on sa results that may not be accurate enough to give us the full picture on things.

On the up side,  ^congrats^ to you!!

Katie x

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi

all of our tests have been on the nhs

but at two different hospitals

the two differences have been

one hospital u do it there and then with the mags  :-[

the other hospital u do it and take in within one hour and have to make appt just to go and drop it off

When i have done the tests on site so to speak the results have been much better than the samples done and taken in

I am just about to do a sample where i need to take in whereby my last one was done on site so will see what the difference is

T68

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.