Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We have a bit of a dilema? got a phonecall from hosp and they said it may be best to have DH's PESA/TESA done before my E/C and frozen that way if there isn't any sperm there, they wont have gone through an E/C for me for nothing, we dont want to think like that I know we have to but we want to be possitive that there will be some on the day, before now we have had 2 goes at ICSI with around 12 sperm, its only that the last sample showed only 1, was it just a bad sample? DH thinks that a fresh lot on the day would be better incase they dont make the thaw?? DH is producing a sample this friday "naturally" to see if any appear, and can HOPEFULLY be frozen, we asked if we can wait untill friday to see what happens before giving them an answer.
I can see what they are saying, but what if DH has sperm retrieval before E/C they dont make the thaw he wont be able to have it again on the day, at least I dont think so as he will have to heal?

Its never easy is it, each go gets more complicating?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks Poppins x
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,650 Posts
Hi Poppins

We've had 3 cycles and 2 were really poor due to not having fresh sperm on the day.  I think it depends on the cause of your azoospermia really as to whether or not surgically retrieved sperm will make the thaw.

They say that surgical retrieval of sperm should be done with intervals of at least six months so no you wouldn't be able to have it again.

My DH's SAs have varied from zeros to thousands, so it's entirely possible that Friday will yield a better result for you.  I really hope so!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Claudine, I hope so too! Its so nerve racking not knowing if there will be any?  :( ::)

DH was born with slightly smaller testis so its not a blockage or from an illness.

Thanks again, :)

Poppins x
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,650 Posts
I take it you've had blood tests done and everything has come back as normal?

You can ask for a side-by-side SSR/EC as a back-up.  Clinics are less keen on it because it's more hassle for them!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,575 Posts
Hi Poppins,

When we were at the Hammersmith they scheduled another TESE for the time of my EC and were prepared to carry this out if none of the sperm survived the thaw. There was a long time delay between SSR and ICSI though.  We were lucky as the thaw was fine.

Do you have any time restrictions that would make this difficult to do?

Does the same hospital also carry out the SSR as the ICSI?

Hope that this helps.  The best news would be lots of sperm on Friday through!

Kindest regards,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

Cladine, Thanks DH was told blood tests wouldn't be needed as the Urologist said he knows they would come back abnormal due to no blockage and from the examination? If we go ahead with a fresh SSR on the day it will be done alongside the E/C. Good luck in New York!

Flopsy, Thanks, as i said above if we go ahead with it on the same day as E/C there wont be a problem time wise, at least I dont think?! Both consultants will carry this out same time at the same hospital.

Vic, Thank you for kind wishes.

Poppins x
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top