Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Our 3 week old Emily has been diagnosed with dislocated hips (both of them) and we are devastated. I know it is fixable but we feel at rock bottom today as the harness she has been in since 5 days old doesn't seem to be working and they are talking about surgery. :'(
Just wondered if anyone had any experience of this?
Sorry if this isn't the right place, feeling a bit lost and not sure where to turn

Dawn x

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Dawn ^hugme^

I've no personal experience of this but I know a few ladies on FF have had babies who have been in a cast for several weeks. The fact that it is 'fixable' is a good thing, even if its not what you want for your precious newborn.

Sending you lots of big ^Cuddle^

Deb

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
Don't really know anything about this hun - just wanted to come and give you and your beautiful little girl a massive hug and tell you it will be ok in the end. 

You will get lots of support and advice hun, I have no doubt.

Lots of love

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Oh Dawn :(

I am so sorry Hun - again n experience but I can only imagine the pain you are in seeing your precious little girl going through this ^hugme^

Hopefully the brace/harness will start to work and surgery can be avoided.

((hugs)) to you and your little girl

T xx

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all
Just can't stop crying, the thought of surgery terrifies me, she's so small.
x

·
Registered
164 Posts
Dawn,

I'm so sorry, I know how you feel - horrible isn't it?  We were told on day 1 that both our dd's hips were dislocated and she would need a harness, and to go for a scan.  At the scan it was found that she was 'borderline' so no scan yet....come back in 4 weeks.  Then we were told it was looking almost normal and to come back in 3 weeks just to be sure.  So we did, this time we were told 'oh no, the left hip is still not right she needs a harness'.  So she had it put on at 8 weeks, then was scanned after 4 weeks, then another 4, then she got it off 2 weeks after (by this time she'd had it in for 10 weeks).  We were treated in Edinburgh, where they seem to be sort of experts and the vibe we got all along was at the start, when babies are really young it is just very hard to tell how the hips will develop.  They only routinely scan to check progression every 4 weeks too.  They also told me that they had never had a harness fail to 'fix' a baby too.

So whilst I know that your situation is not exactly the same as ours, and my baby's hips where not as bad, what I would say is perhaps it's a little too early too dwell on the worst, and to cross your fingers and hope the harness does it's job. 

^reiki^

Fi    x

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Hi Dawn ^hugme^

I'm sorry you're having to go through this.  Both our girls were diagnosed with shallow hips and we were prepared for harnesses, however fortunately they were corrected early on with double nappies.  Two of my nieces had dislocated hips, and I have spoken to my sister at length about how she felt.  My eldest niece was diagnosed at birth and wore a harness from 6 weeks till just under 6 months, when she was discharged with perfect hips.  My younger niece unfortunately wasn't diagnosed till she started walking at 11 months; it was too late for a harness by then, so she wore a cast for several months.
It is excellent that Emily's problem was spotted at birth, and hopefully the harness will sort it out without need for further intervention.  My advice would be to take things day by day at the moment and try (!) not to worry about the unknown, as it isn't something you have any control over.  My DS has had lots of operations, and although I understand how traumatic it is for the parent, they are generally very routine procedures for the doctors carrying them out.  
PM if you'd like to know anything specific, and I'll put you in touch with my sister :)

xx Clare

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Hi Dawn

I'm sorry to hear your news and can understand how worried you feel.

Lizzie hasn't had a problem with her hips but she has been through surgery to close a hole in her heart, so I hope I can reassure you that babies do have operations and come out the other side.  It is scary to think of such young babies going through surgery, and it is not pleasant for them and you to go through, but if it will 'cure' the problem, it is definitely worth doing.  We were told that babies recover quickly, and in Lizzie's case, that was certainly true - she was rolling around in her cot and smiling at everyone within days of her op.  Lizzie was 5 months old when she had her op, but there were babies in her ward who had major surgery on day 1 of life just to keep them alive.  There are some very skilled surgeons around.

If your DD definitely has to have surgery, please feel free to ask if I can help with anything.  Good luck
Essex Girl x

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hiya
Thanks for the replys, Fi, Essexgirl and ClareMack, sorry to read about your son Clare.
What beautiful children you all have ^hugme^

Emily is currently in a Pavlik harness which we are getting used to but yesterday's appointment with the physio suddenly escalated into talking about surgery and yet she couldn't give us definite answers to our questions so I think another meeting with her consultant is needed.

Glad to hear all girls are  fit and well and hope Emily will be the same

Best wishes
Dawn xx

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
hi dawn

was Emily breech? I am sorry you are feeling so  ^eyes^ and the news isn;t as you had expected. I have read everyone elses' replies and they all offer good advice and support that I can't add to cos they have all said it already....but I want to let you know I am thinking of you and sendin you all my  ^hugme^ and  ^reiki^ that it'll be sorted quickly.

I see a little girl for her vaccinations and she is in a cast. She is perfectly happy and seems completely unaffected by it. Parents said it took a while to get used to it but now they are it is fine  ;)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi
Yes she was frank breech from 20 weeks so I had half expected it but doesn't make it any easier to cope with. :(
Thanks for support , is good to read about other little girl.
Dawn x

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
our baby is extended breech and back-to-back! I am also worrying about hip problems but the consultant we see doesn't seem fussed to be honest which is annoyig because I know I will feel just like you if it happens.....Flump has been in the same position since 23 weeks, too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Oh no!  I just lost a big post....well the jist of it was that it is really quite rare for a baby to need a Pavlik harness and if your baby does need one it really isn't as bad as you imagine.  Which is easy to say now that my baby is fine, but really it honestly made no difference to her, apart from she couldn't have a bath or go swimming. 

You do learn to adapt - we made up a new bed-time routine which involved our LO being blown with the hair-dryer, which she loved!  I found that she could wear normal clothes as long as the trousers were stretchy (M&S mini limited were my favourites) and as our physio cut the horrible sock bits off the harness she could wear normal socks too (Gap ones were excellent for going on and staying neatly on over the straps).  Most people said they didn't realise she was wearing a harness.  I think she maybe looked a bit awkward breastfeeding but I found that she was actually easier to hold as she was so sturdy and I didn't care what we looked like!  I loved taking her to baby massage classes because although I couldn't do much of the chest area we could do a lot of it and it was nice to spend time with her in just her harness because I suppose we didn't get much of that because of the no baths. 

She's had it off for 7 weeks now and it doing really well - was absolutely fine the day after the harness came off.  She'll have an x-ray at 1 year old and an MRI scan at 5 but I'm not worried about this as I've said above our physio said she'd never yet had a harness fail.

My dd was extended breech too - silly thing seems to have her dad's sense of direction!

Dawn - I'm assuming your dd wears the harness 24/7? Ours had tape on it to prevent us taking it off. I was a little tempted but the sensible part of me knew it would be wrong.....

Fi    x

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
Hi, so sorry to hear of you lo's hip problem.

My god-daughter had a dislocated hip which wasnt diagnosed until about 16 months, by this time it was too late for a harness and she had to have surgery and spent 4 months in a spica cast. Hopefully your little one wont need the surgery and the harness will be able to fix the problem, but I just wanted to let you know that Molly dealt with the surgery and the cast amazingly well and she has no problems at all now, you wouldnt know from looking at her that she had the surgery and she walks, runs and rides her bike like any other little girl. There is a really good charity called steps I think the website is http://www.steps-charity.org.uk/, they have loads of information and there is a message board too where other parents post and support each other. I know that my firend found steps to be a great help.

Thinking of you

Jane xx

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for replies everyone
Fi - yes Emily has harness on 23 and half hours a day. We only take it off for bathing/changing. She wears mainly dresses and we have the gap sock but they go under the leg bits.
We are getting used to it and just want it to work so she doesn't have to face surgery.
Dawn x

1 - 15 of 15 Posts