Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies

I've been dealing with the LWC to try to have DIUI.  However, since my initial appointment back in February I've had a lot of trouble trying to progress the next steps.  The nurses have been very helpful but they keep passing me to another lady to progress.  This person does not get back to me. 

Has anyone else had any dealings with LWC?  How have you found them?  Is there some very helpful admin person there that any of you have dealt with and got a result?

This is so frustrating as this path a process of constantly waiting for appointments etc for the past 5 years!  Still no result!  And my time is running out.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
G

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Hi Griselda,

I've had 3 DIUI at LWC, and one DIVF - all in the past 6 months. I have not had any problems at all with scheduling appointments etc. Sometimes when you call they are busy (all the appts have to go through the nurses) but if I leave my name and number they always get back to me.

Here's how it worked for me:

Saw consultant for initial consultation and agreed tx plan (unmedicated/monitored IUI initially). Discussed further with nurses to make sure I understood what it entailed, how much it cost etc. Filled in lots of forms - consent forms, donor sperm request forms, various other forms. Provided results/proof of all my pre tx screening tests (eg HIV, Hep B, chlamydia - I got these done at my GP and just gave the LWC nurses copies of my results). Did all this on one day in November last year....

Didn't go for tx in December but when I got my period in January, called the nurses on day 1 or 2 to confirm that I wanted to go ahead. Went in for day 2 scan (you don't always have to have this, but I was having monitored cycle), paid my money, got started. A few days before the actual IUI, donor bank lady emailed me 3 choices of donor, I selected one and that was that. On a couple of subsequent cycles, I have had to chase the donor bank up - but if I email them, they get straight back to me and have always been very helpful.

Not sure what it is that you need to do differently - have you had initial consultation, filled in the forms, provided test results? If so, then you should be OK to go ahead. Maybe you need to push the nurses to clarify who you need to speak to to progress and why....

Hope this helps,
Laura

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Griselda

I have been with LWC since beginning of march - and have no probs getting responses or call backs - like Laura says if they are busy if you leave a message they will call you back - have noticed this is normally later in the afternoons.

Nicky is very helpful.... if you get through to her when you call....

Hope you get thru to someone for the info you need!  :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Griselda,

I have had 4 DIUI at LWC. I find they can be sometimes be a bit hit and miss about calling back and generally opt for calling back myself. Next time you call (if you can't speak to the person you need) explain that you have already left several messages and ask when would be the best time to get hold of them. Apart from this and sometimes long waits for scans, the staff are pretty helpful and supportive.

I understand your frustration, have been ttc for seven years, but the good thing about the LWC is no wait for donor sperm.

Best of Luck ^reiki^,
Holly

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses ladies.  Still having terrible trouble.  Thinking of logging a complaint with the GM or HFEA.

I think the thing I am doing differently is trying to import DS.  The Admin lady is supposed to be chasing this up but she just isn't.

Aaaaaaarg!  ^furios^

Also, I notice from your histories that the DIUI doesn't seem to be terribly successfull either?

Sorry seem to be having a bit of a negative moment.  :( ;) ;D

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hallellujah!  ^pray^

Think I might have finally made some progress with them!  After having called and ended up sobbing down the phone to them in sheer frustration that is!  Ooops.   :eek: ;D  Seemed to do the trick though!  ;D  Still hopefully at least they won't forget me again now!    ::) ;D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Griselda,

Glad you've finally got a response :)

The success rates do seem quite shocking, especially compared to IVF - a typical per cycle success rate for IUI is 15% but it varies by age and whether you have meds/other probs. Given the rates are lower than ttc naturally it's not surprising it can take a number of cycles. I still think LWC is one of the best options as they appear to do more IUI's than anywhere else. One of the nurse's told me recently that their new stats are 25% per cycle for age 35 and under (both med and unmed) which is really high. Still I've noticed that quite a lot of people using DIUI move on to IVF, but then there are others who are successful first time. I think I may be moving into the former group but good luck to you  ^reiki^ I hope you join the latter!

Holly
xx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts