Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ladies

I'd like to put a shout out to anyone who has had success with DIUI over 40? 

I'm so frustrated.  Our IF is MF and now it seems the medical world has practically written me off due to my age.  It's hard not to panic.  But then i see friends with no MF or IF issues popping out babies naturally at 41-44 years of age.  Surely it's all just statistics?  I get so depressed that the fannying around waiting for ICSI appointments etc for the last 5 years due to DH's problem has subsequently robbed me of my chances of having a child.  I know I was incredibly fertile back in my 20s (had a couple of accidents with Ex).  The medical world depresses me so much.  They sit there and tell me it's all over because of my age.  I want to shout that I'm not any 41 year old and to stop treating me like a number as I'm this 41 year old.  I personally would rather adopt than do DE.

Is there anyone out there in the same position as me?  I would love to hear from you.

Thx.

G

·
Registered
327 Posts
Im 41 got my bfp on 13.5.08 after 1 x attempt.
I was fobbed off at my first consultant appointment, he was obsesses about my age, statistics, etc said diui doesnt work, had to have icsi.
After his horrible letter saying if i did consider ivf it was 5% chance of working I chose another clinic 2 hours away from where I live.
As you can see it worked
Dont listen to them.
;)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Kitty

Thank you thank you thank you!  ^pray^  Hallelujah!  ^banana^ They are like sooooo obsessed with statistics.  :mad:

That's so what I needed to hear.  My FSH is still good and I know I'm ovulating regularly every month.  I use Persona to check!  Just gotta get my hands on some swimmers!  I'm going to buy a year's worth of sperm and give it a real go.  Thought I'd try without any drugs for the first couple of months then maybe consider clomid after that?

Congratulations to you.  And thank you again and good luck!  ^afro^  You sure showed them girl!  I hope I do too.  ^pray^

Luv
G xx

·
Registered
327 Posts
;D  my second consultant didnt know what hit him. I took complete control over the appointment told him I was perfectly aware of my age blah blah but I am fit, healthy (I put my young workmates to shame on the regularity of my cycles 28 days to the hour ;D)
He said fine and never mentioned age or anything.
Like you I decided not to use clomid on first attempt as there is nothing wrong with me I told him that too and he said fine. I did not want to risk ohss and have it abandoned, nor did I want twins (I am one)
I actually paid for 2 rounds of clomid to possible use on future attempts but didnt need them in the end.
I had fsh of 3.3  13 and 10  I think my high ones were due to stress ::)
all other levels were good too,
I believe you need luck and good timing with the DIUI, so if you get a surge you need to go in that day and the next day too.

I used Leicester ACU, they were fine. I had to pay private, it was £650 a cycle. with quite a few donors to choose from.

good luck griselda dont let them grind you down,  , 
statistics, pah I dont believe in them,  youcould be that person..    Go for it,  sooner rather than later!xx

·
Registered
417 Posts
Griselda - I know EXACTLY how you feel!  I had my 41st birthday last weekend.  Last hormone level test I had done was low and when they did an ultrasound I was told that my ovaries looked "very active".  I really don't believe that we all age at the same rate and I do think it's possible to be a "young" 41 so we shouldn't be written off!  (I was at Bluewater today and tried the Wii Fit - and my fitness age on that came out at 27! - plus it told me I was obese which I already knew!)

DH had a SA done in January and as the result was not good he was told to have another one the following month - we were told that they would usually repeat the test after 3 months, but because of my age "every month counts" - then after that we were messed around so much with 3 cancelled appointments that we actually lost 2 months just because of the hospital - so it shows how important they thought "every month" was.

I'm like you and I just want some swimmers  ;D

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Clotted Cream

Great to hear from you.  Bluewater is on my doorstep!  So glad there's others feeling like me too!  ^hugme^

Unfortunately, I've got some waiting around to do because I'm importing from US.  I wanted to see what my donor looked like and that seemed to be the only option.  Also, I understand that in the States they're allowed to keep the stuff in a different solution to here in the UK and it's more successfull.  It'll take around 2 months to get it here though!  For goodness sake! 

Good luck to you.  I hate the way they all make us panic about our age.  I'm sure panic is not conducive to conceiving either!

Kitty - how much DS did you have put by for you?  Do you know how much was used each time?  I've been told that LWC just do one DIUI per cycle but I'm with you, I'd really like 2 or even 3!  Money's not so much of an issue.  Just think how much a baby will cost you during it's lifetime!  And I want to give myself the best chance.  I want to buy a year's worth which I've been advised is 12 amps?  That means using one amp per cycle?  Is it one amp per DIUI?  Cheers!

Luv
G x

·
Registered
327 Posts
Gris, I didnt ask how much ds was in the amp/tube/jar? ^idiot^
they just said pick  a donor and you get 2 x goes on one cycle.
I think nurse might have said 10 million which I thought was quite low, but it was obviously enough.
Take care and good luck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hello G,

DIUI has a VERY low success rate in the over 40s. Yeah yeah yeah, so you ovulate? So do I! According to tracking, I superovulate every 3 months [is why I have naturally conceived twins]. Also FSH levels taken without day 3 oestrodial levels are futile, as sometimes high ostrodial conceals raised FSH. Even if, as the clinics told me, your hormones ARE normal [mine were], your eggs are still pretty raggy & ancient. I know this is deeply unflattering but it is fact. Older eggs do not fertilise as well. they are more fragile. they are more prone to chromosone/genetic abnormalities. These are the issue you need to be quite aware of before you start DIUI.

See, I also had MF infertility & felt seriously robbed of more kids.....I also wasted time undergoing tests. It's all time we haven't got. Sadly female fertility is programmed to last only a finite amount of times.

Either way, I got DS from the US. I didn't get 12 amps, I got 6. This sperm was deemed "excellent". I was ovulating each month....however, the DIUI did NOT result in a pregnancy & it was horribbly expensive to boot.

Havin MF as something to "blame" is removed from the equation & you have to face that your own eggs are not what they were.

As for 'accidents' in your 20s. It's almost karmic how these things turn out.

Btw, they won't give you clomid. you already ovulate, they'll give you drugs like menopur, pergonan, i.e the drugs they use in IVF cycles. I took no drugs, but would recommend that you didn't follow the same route as me. A for amps per cycle. You only need ONE amp per cycle, it's inseminated to co-incide with when you ovulate, so using more is simply not needed.
Best wishes,
Peaches

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Obviously there is hope ... although I had 7 mcs and needed DE, I have a friend one day younger than me who is pg, and another friend the same age who had a baby last year.
Some women in their early 40s are still fertile, others don't have normal eggs.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Griselda said:
I know I'm ovulating regularly every month. I use Persona to check!
It might be worth temping to be sure of that... Persona just detects an LH surge, it doesn't confirm that you ovulate in response (sadly)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your responses ladies.

And peaches for that ray of hope  :eek:  ;) ;D  May I ask which clinic you used for yours?  Also, I was informed yesterday that the US imported sperm is carefully concentrated before storing so that they only ever need to use one amp.  Whereas UK sperm is stored as it comes out of the tin (so to speak  ;) ;D) and therefore different vials have varying qualities and sometimes they open a vial see that there's not much sperm so opt to use an additional one too.  Apparently, out of 15 UK vials they would expect to get 10 cycles.  So that's about half requiring an extra vial.  And I get you with regards to karma.  Hopefully with all i've been through, mine is finely evened up.  Fingers crossed.

I need to go ahead whatever.  Whilst I still have a chance i need to be able to look back and say i tried every option available to me and did everything that I could.  Can't have any 'what ifs' or 'maybe ifs' in my future.  Obviously my best chance of getting pregnant now is just to be promiscuous!!!  :eek: But that's soooo not an option.  Yuk!  :p

Had my initial appt today.  Nurses and Doctor both said my hormone levels were excellent.  Yay!  And Dr is giving me the option of no meds, clomid or stimulated cycle whatever I chose.

DrownedGirl - Thank you.  The LH surge is the main indicator of ovulation isn't it?  That's what all the Dr's seem to use without getting low down and dirty with a scan.  Even with a scan they will only see follies and not be able to tell if they have eggs in or if an egg actually gets released.  How do you know that the LH surge doesn't cause the temperature rise too?  I had a scan in Feb and had lots of follies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts