Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there i am lisa and new on here just like to say hi to you all,
  Well i have been with my girfriend emma for just over 3yrs now we have been trying for a baby for nearly 2yrs which has been tough going, we have been have sperm donation treatment at QMC in nottingham (well emma's the one who's actually going to carry the baby) we have had counselling and lots of tests and have had our second lot of sperm but sadly nothing as yet  :'(  we have since stooped with the hospital as it's quite pricey and we just can not afford it anymore we have also had a freind donate for us and did a sort of home job lol but again nothing ( i did pick up the spem and drive home 5 mins away with it ) don't no if that was the wrong way to do it if anyone can tell me how long it lasts thanx, my girlfreind emma thinks its her fault and that she a faliure i do keep reasuring her so theres the emotional side to as most of you will no, So was just wondering if anyone out there know's if there is a right way to do this,  we have someone who is willing to donate but should he come to our house so its fresh any info will be grately appricated thanx for reading bye for now lisa xxxx :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hi Lisa & Emma

I'm afraid I can't advise you on DIY sperm transfer (DH & are on the egg donor path at present) but I wanted to wish you both lots of luck.  I am sure there will be someone on Fertility Friends that can help.

Love 'n' hugs
Misty C
xxx

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hi Lisa and Emma,

Sperm is best left for 20 mins post ejaculation before drawing it up into a syringe as the consistency will be easier to draw up. As long as the sperm isn't kept too hot or too cold it lasts for a number of hours... can't remember the exact number. Some books recommend putting the sperm in a pot and kept close to your body to keep it at body temp if you need to transport it anywhere.

We read "it's a family affair- the complete lesbian parenting book" by Lisa Saffron which has loads of information on fertility charting and how best to inseminate.

Good luck

Rach

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I agree with everything that Rach has said including the 20 mins for the ejaculate to liquify.  Some books say the sperm can remain out of the body for 1 hour others say 2 hours.  Also there are various methods not just a syringe, many people use an 'instead' cup to place the sperm next to the cervix and keep it in place (search on the FF site and it will come up).  I personally used both methods.  Ensuring that you are TTC at the correct time is also important, the books have tips on ovulation predictors, temp montioring, cervial mucus changes etc.

Best of luck
L xx

·
Registered
81 Posts
These are quite comprehensive answers so I can't add much.  I try to keep delay to under an hour between ejaculation and insem but there's plenty of sites that officially state 2 hours.  My last success had a delay of just under 2 hours so I know it works.  Clinics ask for semen samples within an hour but routinely test when they get around to it which can certainly be closer to two hours or more.

Keep semen out of light as UV in sunlight will kill the sperm very quickly.

Once inside the body, sperm can typically still be active up to 5 days after insem so always better to insem a day early than a day late if you're unsure.

Good luck

David

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Hello,
Also wanted to suggest that you join the thread for Lesbians Using Donor Sperm, within the Donor sperm/eggs site.
There are quite a few of us posting on there, all taking our various differing routes to parenthood but you will, Im sure, find lots of support, advice & information there.
Hope that helps.
Jo & Heather.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi there again
  me and my girlfriend emma will next month be tryin our second lot of sperm donation at home and was just wondering if anyone out there has any tips for us to help trying to get pregnant,  the first time we did this we was very nervous and messed the first try up but the second night was a little better,
  We have a couple of needless syringes in which we insert the sperm but when going through the hospital they used the same but with a little tube on the end,  so was looking for anyone else that has done this at home and if so just to give advice to us please to help us,  would the syrige be better with a tube on the end of it or by itself,  just want to say thanks for looking here and for a help we can get thanks again lisa ans emma x x x x  ;D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi there just want to say thanks for your help who visted this page hope u all have good luck and sucess thanx again lisa xx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts