Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Well  DH and I are totally and utterly besotted with our precious girl. She is without a doubt the best thing that I have ever done and so worth every minute of worry and pain!

The day before the section we went for our pre-op which consisted of a scan and monitoring to check her position and a chat and to be give antacid tablets to take the following morning.
Following a rather restless night, we arrived for our planned c-section at 8.30 and were shown to a delivery room where I was given a gown and DH some 'scrubs' which he thought was great!! :)
We were eventually taken to theatre at 11.35 and I was prepped for spinal block which didn't hurt at all but was uncomfortable lying over pillow with bump! They then moved me round which was weird as by now the block was kicking in and I couldn't feel anything below my waist! Most undignified having your legs spread for all the world to see while they put the catheter in, even weirder cause you can't feel it! ::)

The atmosphere was very, very relaxed with 7 people in room and it was quick !

Emily was born at 12.20 and I Even saw her come out in lights above me!!!

Then they dropped the curtain to show us, wow, amazing. :'(

She was taken to the side to be cleaned etc- DH invited to cut cord and then she was wrapped and brought over for a cuddle and skin contact after which DH took her out with a MW back to our delivery room to be cleaned and sorted while I was stitched, again something that was quick and very relaxed.

Back in our room I BF her and we were both made comfortable. Our anesthetist was lovely and her and the doc who delivered Emily came to say 'bye', little did I know I would see both again very soon!
Unfortunately an hour into recovery I had a major bleed as my uterus had failed to contract,I felt a little warm and a thought I was 'leaking' so asked DH to check, he took one look and walked straight out to get some one and suddenly the room was full.
10 health care professionals in the room for a while all talking and buzzing around us meanwhile a doc was massaging my abdomen and what followed worst pain I have ever experienced in my life! I was in agony, they scanned me ( nearly shot off bed when they put the probe on) and put lots of drips/lines in all the while discussing what to do. I was given 4 shots of morphine and remember the anesthetist discussing how much I had had and how I should have been out cold but it wasn't 'touching the sides'. ^scared^
I was prepped to go back to theatre. Thankfully things started to improve at the 11th hour- just after I signed the consent form (something DH now remembers with amusement as I couldn't hold the pen hardly) I zonked out! ::)

After lots more morphine(great stuff ) and fluids things calmed down and I was left with one to one MW care through the night and 4 units of blood being transfused once Cons had arrived to be brought up to date.
The MW who cared for me through the night was senior and fantastic and of course cared for Emily and another woman too!! I was still fairly zonked and hooked up to 3 lines and constantly on a blood pressure monitor but was fairly comfortable. Cons came back in morning to check I was better and okay ed my removal up to main ward he explained that they had failed to initially appreciated how much blood I was loosing and how quickly it happened. I was by then only feeling a little discomfort.

I had a shower and was then wheeled up to ward on a bed with Emily in my arms and DH following.

My only real complaint is that my parents and sister were sat outside the delivery suite for 10 hours before someone finally consented to let my Mum in to see me for 5 mins( and it was 5). It was only due to the lovely young female doc who delivered Emily that they were kept informed and haven driven 300 mile to be there  (they'd left a 6am) you can imagine they were out of their minds with worry haven gone from 'all is well' to 'there's a problem'. All down to one MW apparently who just kept saying 'we don't let anyone in here'.  ^swear^ Not good especially as even I was asking and DH , who did get very cross with the senior MW at one point!

We came home 4 days later  with painkillers and iron tablets and all OK , my scar has hampered movement a bit other than that all is well. :)

Well that's my story and yes I would do it again! Picks up dignity and shuffles out door....

Dawn  ;) x

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Congratulations hun on your little girl  ^pinkted^

Enjoy every minute

Nikki xx

·
Registered
416 Posts
Dawn, well done on your beautiful little Emily! Sorry to hear about the complications, Ihope that you'll get the chance to really talk it through with someone from the hospital so it doesn't cause any distress in the future. Take care!

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Dawn - congratulations on the birth of your little one.So sorry to hear of the aftermath of the c-section and the way your visitors were treated - they must have been terrified.When I was in hospital a similar thing happened to a woman in the bed next to me so I have a rough idea of what you went through - not nice at all - you poor thing.

But fantastic that you got to see your little girl being born in the lights above! I asked for a mirror at Lily's birth and the MW just said  something like " I only have two hands " - wish I'd've thought to mention it earlier..in the States they had a mirror on a a stand that they positioned very carefully - and then someone stood in front of it the whole time! ::)

I know exactly what you mean about being completely in love - we are the same, my DD keeps saying how cute Lily i and how she can't stop staring at her..so sweet.

Take care hun and enjoy your beautiful little one

Rsmum X

·
Registered
817 Posts
many congrats!!!

Very sorry indeed to hear of the PPH (- I assume it was a post partum haemmorhage anyway?)

I don't want to make an issue of this but it doesn't sound quite right medically, not to mention the 10 hour thing. I assume your bp was constantly checked in theatre before you were allowed to leave and once on the ward it should have been checked every 15 mins for exactly this reason. Your notes should show how much your bld loss was in theatre and I imagine you additionally had a big transfusion to cover it. You should definitely reuqest in writing a full copy of the notes now as they contain essential information for future deliveries. PPHs simply should not happen and, not to worry you, but it's the main reason you read of young healthy women dying and units being shut down.

Anyway hopefully anyone reading this will know to demand constant b/p checks when having a section. the minute it drops or you feel very cold or your eyes roll or your abdomen starts to increase (as yours did) you have a serious issue on your hands and minutes can make the difference.

MANY CONGRATS AGAIN - I IMAGINE IT IS THE MOST FAB TIME SO MAKE THE MOST OF IT!!!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
anna the third said:
many congrats!!!

Very sorry indeed to hear of the PPH (- I assume it was a post partum haemmorhage anyway?)

I don't want to make an issue of this but it doesn't sound quite right medically, not to mention the 10 hour thing. I assume your bp was constantly checked in theatre before you were allowed to leave and once on the ward it should have been checked every 15 mins for exactly this reason. Your notes should show how much your bld loss was in theatre and I imagine you additionally had a big transfusion to cover it. You should definitely reuqest in writing a full copy of the notes now as they contain essential information for future deliveries. PPHs simply should not happen and, not to worry you, but it's the main reason you read of young healthy women dying and units being shut down.

Anyway hopefully anyone reading this will know to demand constant b/p checks when having a section. the minute it drops or you feel very cold or your eyes roll or your abdomen starts to increase (as yours did) you have a serious issue on your hands and minutes can make the difference.

MANY CONGRATS AGAIN - I IMAGINE IT IS THE MOST FAB TIME SO MAKE THE MOST OF IT!!!
Hi thanks for advice. I did go from feeling very cold to quite warm quickly but was initially just given more blankets! ::) I was attached to bp monitor constantly afterwards and was told I had very rapid pulse and had tachycardia(?) in theatre but again this was all after the PPH.
I had had a small amount of blood loss in theatre (500) but this increased to 1530 in the end. Luckily they did react quickly and all was well but your advice on what to check is very helpful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts