Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Hope you guys can help.  We are having donor treatment aboard at IVI and have just got back from first consultation a few weeks ago.  Today we got an e-mail stating that they would be doing DE with ICSI.  I can't understand why they are doing ICSI.  My DH has had his sperm analyzed in the UK a few times and it's always been fine.  Infact when my sister donated eggs all 9 fertilized.  Do they do it as a matter of course or does it mean that DH sperm has deteriorated?  I'm just so worried as I thought that at least DH had good swimmers.  Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks Guys

Spicemum  XXX

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi Spicemum,
We are at IM and they seem to do ICSI always too. ICSI gets better results I think - I think it avoids any problems when sperm getting introduced.
Good luck!
Sam

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Hello,
Yes, I went to IVI too and we had the same experience.  I would quiz them if i were you.  In my non-scientific mind I feel that natural fert as opposed to ICSI must be better, as it means that surely the better, stronger sperm get through, ie ICSI removes a hurdle for them.  However, this view might be rubbish, so it needs scientific back up.  Certainly pregnancy rates for ICSI don't seem to be any lower for ICSI in any clinics I have ever come across, so it should be perfectly fine.  When we had our 1st IVF with my own eggs, I produced 14 or so eggs that they thought looked great, so they didn't recommend ICSI, but none fertilised, so we were really annoyed afterwards that we hadn't at least done a few with ICSI.  ICSI can help wioth either egg or sperm factor, so i suppose the Spanish clinics are just playing safe.
Hope you get a suitable answer and good luck,
Bluebellx

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi Spicemum,
I had treatment at IVI Valencia and their protocol was to fertilise half the eggs with ICSI and half IVF. Stupidly i never asked why and just took what they said for granted.

Take care and be lucky
Femail

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
That sounds like the best way to do it !
Bluebellx

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had IVF at Irema and am due for DE IVF in july and they use icsi as standard practice...I have spoken to a few ladies here who have had treatment on Spanish National Health and it appears its common to use ICSI even when there are no male fertility issues.

x

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi  Guys

Thanks for your replies.  I have a copy of my U.K clinic notes and it there it stated that my DH was fine although there was a slight problem with morphology.  It should have been under 30 but his was 35.  As it was only slightly over the clinic were not too concerned as he had a good sperm count and my consultant stated that the fittest sperm would get there first and ICSI was unnecessary.  IVI have stated that they do ICSI as standard in this circumstances although I get the impression that they too do not think that it is vital given the quality of DH sperm.  I do worry about them injecting a dude sperm but it appears that the Spanish clinics have a lot more experience then the UK clinics.

I think you right Shelly that in some clinics it's just standard.  I suppose I'm just relieved that DH sperm appears to be the same and that it has not deteriorated. 

Thanks again

Spicemum  XXX

1 - 7 of 7 Posts