Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Christmas and New Year rapidly approach I wondered if anybody is going to have a drink and not feel guilty about it even though you're still ttc?

I've just been feeling a little depressed recently as I've become a social hermit in a bid to avoid alcohol - I haven't touched the stuff in 8 weeks, been eating well, taking all the right vits, getting acupuncture, avoiding caffeine and I don't smoke, I'm maintaining the right weight, my DH sperm is fine, getting BFN after BFN and yet all around me girls are falling pregnant after big drunken smokey nights out or on holiday drinking cocktails every night!!!

My SIL fell pregnant 2nd attempt on a diet of beer, white bread, takeaways, packet food, **** and coffee??

Am I just feeding an unhealthy obsession and actually hampering my chances by sitting in everynight avoiding (and offending) my wine drinking friends, eating organic broccoli and drinking glass bottled still water??

Really sorry to sound so bitter especially this close to christmas! AF arrived again today and as I'm not pregnant this time I suppose I just want to let go (within reason) over xmas and new year without regret or guilt.

Just wondered if anybody feels the same.

Thank you for reading!!!

Good luck to all of us ttc in 2005!

Cat

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Cat
I feel exactly the same I am about to start my 1st IVF in Jan .I have had 3 failed IUI attempts where I kept myself alcohol free so I have had the odd glass of wine this time.
Anne

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Anne

After having (quite a few) drinks at xmas and new year I'm now back to not drinking. Also back to fruit and veg too - my diet hasn't been very good admittedly over this festive period either but if sweets and crisps really affect your chances of getting pregnant, why aren't they recommended as contraceptives is my thought!

Main thing is trying my best to distract myself and not think about it???? As silly as that sounds.

Wishing you all the very best of luck with your first IVF. Try and keep yourself wrapped up and warm both physically and emotionally!

Cat

:)

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Hi Cat,

I'm fairly new to all this. But have been TTC for a year (have had to laps for endo this year too). But, I feel that you need to have some pleasures otherwise you will get stressed and down etc.. and i reckon stress is probably the worst of all for inhibiting getting pg! (not a nurse tho!)  Anyhow, I was like you for a bit, but then decided to carry on drinking, I dont smoke and I am veggie, so eat farily healthily!  Except the odd pizza  ;D  I was getting obsessed with doing ovulation testing etc etc. told hve sporadic ovulation by gyane. Anyhow, I am now about 5 days late! gonna test 2moro, but if i am, then drink hasnt affected it, but stress def has  :)

Sending you lots of love and baby dust.....

TC.  JO xxx

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi all

Fingers crossed for you Jo.

I've read lots about drinking and alcohol and basically the studies show that there definitely is a link between us drinking and getting preggers. (but the blokes are OK - typical)! So dont do it! Saying that - I've been off alcohol for 3 months now and still no luck. I'm sure there is a balance though between trying to relax and I do wonder if trying to stay away from things like drink etc just make your think more about it and get more and more obsessed with it all. If you read some of us going on about all the things we should and shouldn't do it sounds ridiculous! But there is so much advice out there! At Easter I plan to treat myself to a bottle of bubbly - just for the hell of it!
best wishes
nugget

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
After my outburst last night on here and the bottle of wine I drunk think I'm buggered!  :-\

I do feel though that there is a balance and stressing about not having 1 glass of wine a week for example when ttc would have a worst effect that just drinking it.

Its a toughie though when we aren't raging alocholics  and having just a few drink makes us feel guilty and like raging alocholics!!  (Does that make sense)!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi everyone,

I didn't have a single drink for the first year and a half that we were TTC and............... nothing, zilch, zero........... af arrived every month. :'(
So, I decided a little wouldn't hurt. We managed to get a BFP in Nov last year. (I had been drinking more than a little at that time).  Unfortunatley I had a missed m/c and the clinic assured me it was genetic as the sac was there but no fetal pole.

So at the moment I'm back to the odd glass, currently d/r, and clinic said "have a glass of wine, no problem".

Sheelz

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was told that alcohol is one of the factors that diminishes your chances of getting pregnant - so everyting that is bad for you (and alcohol is bad for the body) should be avoided.  I guess we all have to do what is best for us and see what our priorities are.  if getting pregnant is something we want really bad then don't do the bad stuff.  do everything possible to maximize your chances.

Good luck to everyon  :)

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
hi

I was tee total up until the age of 24 and have the odd tipple now and again now and i have been ttc for longer than that 3 years and with having pcos i would say it was down to that and not anything to do with the alcohol. i say anything in moderation, but who knows really ???
good luck to all
suzie aka olive xx

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi everyone - was just dipping in to this board and was surprised to see my alcohol and ttc post from last year back as a current topic.

Just wanted to say that as you can see from my ticker I got a BFP after writing that post. Got it at the end of Jan which meant I conceived about the 11th Jan.

In my head, even though I still took clomid I had written off getting a BFP for january as I knew we'd be seeing friends over the xmas period, drinking and there are certain friends who I always end up having a few **** with after loads of wine - though I don't smoke generally. I was convinced that alcohol was a contraceptive. I just thought I'd get back to 'healthy' ttc in Feb.

My SIL (a nurse) and mother to a healthy 3 month old said something to me at new year over our 5th champagne that I believed and made me feel so much more relaxed about the whole thing. She said drinking and smoking can only stop you getting pregnant - i.e can stop your body functioning properly if you drink like a bottle of spirits a day and smoke something crazy like 60 **** a day. Really just look at the amount of women who fall preg while ****** or on holiday not thinking about their diet or what they drink.

So I drank, smoked a few ****, didn't exactly eat very well over xmas, didn't go for scans to check I was ovulating and didn't count the days of my cycle for ovulation time. The exact opposite of what Zita West recommends! And everything's fine and progressing well at my pregnancy scans (obviously doing the best I can with diet and not touching anything bad now though!) Oh and we BD'd about every other day or 2.

(Following Zita West's advice I became a hermit for 3 months leading up to xmas last year, didn't go out for fear I may scupper my chances yet again by having an alcoholic drink or be tempted to smoke a cigarette with a friend, I ate expensive organic meat and veg - needless to say was unhappy, obsessive and more importantly no BFP in sight)

I say really try and relax about all of it - don't even think about what your eating/drinking (within reason!!) as it will become a vicious circle. As long as your not on a self destruct mission and pouring bottle after bottle of spirits down your neck every week you'll be totally 100% fine.

Best best luck to everyone ttc. It is going to happen. Every day that passes is a day nearer to your BFP.

Love Catxx

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Aww Cat..congrats on your pregnancy!

Just dipped into this thread and agree with what has been said - everything in moderation! And yes, being obsessive must do much more damage than having a few drinks now and again!!!

I'm off to pour a vodka and diet coke! Why not, it is a bank holiday weekend!!! xxx

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Just popped on to say that earlier in the week there was an article on this and smoking on the front of the daily mail, saying that smoking and drinking do affect fertility..

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Don't believe anything you read in the Daily Mail!! Two years ago it managed to mis-quote Lord Robert Winston and used it to say that too many women have ICSI when they should just accept being childless!!
As is has been said before, everything in moderation, however there has been some interesting research (in more noteable journals than the Mail!) that if any alcohol should be avoided it is beer, and by the blokes!! Apparently it contains a very high level of oestrogens, in women this is OK but in men this acts as testosterone supperesant which can reduce sperm counts, morphology and motility!!  Poor DH hasn't allowed himself one drop of beer since he read that, over 3 years ago!!
Good luck to all ttc - do what ever you feel you feel comfortable with!!
Lizi

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
exactly!

We live in such a guilt ridden and paranoid society these days. Everything we eat and drink is either going to kill us one day, or be a health benefit the next. Apart from Turker Twizzlers!

My mothers generation knew nothing about alcohol and cigarettes possibly affecting fertility. I don't think the point was really laboured to give up once pregnant either. My mother smoked and drank til she found out, so did her friends and I should think hundreds and thousands of them did and yet the vast majority produced normal healthy children.

I definitely just meant that everything really is fine IN MODERATION and not to get hung up on things. I wouldn't recommend smoking and drinking to your hearts content to anyone! TTC or not!

Lots of Love and Luck
Catxx

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Hi,
  A massive  ^congrats^ to you Cat!
  I think you are so right! We planned to try for a baby as soon as we got married, infact i came off the pill probably about a week before the Big day!  we had a very active social life and drank and smoked every weekend and not really in moderation ^drink^! but within a couple of months I got BFP!
  Never changed diet, or slowed down on the **** or booze! went out early and stayed out late!!! but had no problem in conceiving. Its now that my life has slowed down to a more normal pace (only just started going out again and meg is three in two weeks!) that we are having troubles!  SODS LAW!!! We don't smoke, but I do have a glass of wine in the evening.(not every night) Not to get drunk but to relax a little. As I have said I have only really started going out again since I fell pregnant and am enjoying myself (cant deal with the hangover bit!) Not going out every weekend or even on loads of benders! sometimes just for a meal and a few glasses of wine, but still keep getting BFN!
I got caught up on all the vit an mins to take and ovulation testing, but it all got me a bit down. now I am just waiting for test results and taking life as it comes.
Good luck to you all.
Claire, :)
x.

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
claire mac said:
I got caught up on all the vit an mins to take and ovulation testing, but it all got me a bit down. now I am just waiting for test results and taking life as it comes.
Hmmmm wondering if this is how I should be as opposed to what I am! Be nicer to live by this concept.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Dear all,

Apparently its also important for our dh's to stay away from alcohol. especially beer as it contains oestrogens that do not do those tiny tadpoles any good at all ;). so that seems like a good excuse to open a bottle of wine and share it between you  ::)(rather than what I normally do which is drink most of it myself while he has a glass in front of him but actually drinks beer all night instead)!!! :-[
Anyway - it might reduce that beer belly!! (his I mean) ;)

Best wishes to everyone ::) :) :)
nugget

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi
Wanted to say congratulations to Cat on BFP !!
Personally I agree that drinking is fine in moderation....although we've been ttc & still BFN (start Clomid next cycle even though ovulate fine naturally).  Our consultant said that as long as not binge drinking then having odd glass of wine wouldn't hurt....I'm terrible in that I do still have the occasional ciggie when have a drink too...I used to smoke 10 a day but since ttc (2 years) I literally only have ciggie when have a drink so definitely not every day.  Although saying all that I try not to drink or smoke just before ovulation & for next 2 weeks...usually happens when period arrives as feel so miserable & know I'm definitely not pg.....its so tough all this ttc...emotional roller coaster ! I was also told that if you change your lifestyle drastically then that can be just as bad...spose thats all down to stress which I really do believe is a big factor....I stopped becoming obsessive about everything & just relax, enjoy & remain positive that it'll happen for us eventually.  :)
Anyway, loads of luck to everyone....and hope we all get BFP soon !!
Take care
Natasha

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
claire mac said:
Hi,
A massive ^congrats^ to you Cat!
I think you are so right! We planned to try for a baby as soon as we got married, infact i came off the pill probably about a week before the Big day! we had a very active social life and drank and smoked every weekend and not really in moderation ^drink^! but within a couple of months I got BFP!
Never changed diet, or slowed down on the **** or booze! went out early and stayed out late!!! but had no problem in conceiving. Its now that my life has slowed down to a more normal pace (only just started going out again and meg is three in two weeks!) that we are having troubles! SODS LAW!!! We don't smoke, but I do have a glass of wine in the evening.(not every night) Not to get drunk but to relax a little. As I have said I have only really started going out again since I fell pregnant and am enjoying myself (cant deal with the hangover bit!) Not going out every weekend or even on loads of benders! sometimes just for a meal and a few glasses of wine, but still keep getting BFN!
Good luck to you all.
Claire, :)
x.

Claire I love your story - fantastic news!!! I totally agree with you.

Happy Pregnancy and birth ^daisy^

1 - 20 of 21 Posts