Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

Just wondering if any of you ladies have successfully got your medical insurance companies (if you have them) to pay for any of your treatment re PCOS?

Up to this point I have paid for consultant appointments and scans myself, and so far its cost about £700. Today I've found out that my insurance company may pay for some things, but not others...

I'm really confused, and not sure what to do....might just carry on paying myself, as can't deal with anymore stress of dealing with the insurance company!

Just wondered if anyone else had any dealings with this kind of thing?

Thanks
Kate x

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi Lipgloss..I have Medical Insurance but they won't pay out for infertility & they calss PCOS under that category. It is very frustrating but I suppose it has saved me from the stress of dealing with the claims.

Hang in there...if you have the patience you may as well get them to pick up the tab..that's what you pay for hun.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do,

Love
B x

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hello..my insurance co will pay for consultancy fees and things like acupuncture that i have to relieve symptoms whilst having tx but they dont pay for any treatment.. I have been lucky my gp has done most of my blood tests so they are free.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Buddug and Sicknote,

Just wanted to get an idea of what other people managed to get paid...thanks very much!

I'm hoping they will refund me my initial consultation and scanning cost which is £350...would be nice.

These insurance companies are stingy s*ds though,  :mad:, so we'll see!

Thanks again,
Kate

·
Registered
604 Posts
Just wondering if some companies would also class it as a 'pre-existing' condition as well, I have looked a few times into getting cover but I know that my knees wouldn't be covered as they are a 'pre-existing' condition, even though it is different things wrong with them each time! They may say that PCOS is pre-exisiting, even before diagnosis.

The other thing as well I would check is if you have paid for consultations,scans, bloods etc, do they see this as you 'admitting' a pre-existing condition?

I do hope that they will give you at least some of the money back for what you have paid out.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Chick

I'm with Axa and they won't treat pre-existing conditions, but luckily I've been with them for 2 years nearly, and only went to my Drs about a year ago to get diagnosed. On the form they sent me, they asked when I first noticed my symptoms. Truthfully, it was about 7 years (!) ago, but I just put 1 year. Also, all the private tests I have paid for have been in the last year, so well after I joined them.

I'm really not holding my breath though, the guy on the phone was soooooooooo unhelpful. They asked my GP to write them a letter - which he charged me £20 for!  :mad: - so I'll have to see.

Just been told that I have a cyst the size of a plum that probably needs to be removed - I don't see how they could get out of paying for that?

Its all so confusing!  ???

Right, I'm off to rob a bank!  ;)

Lots of love to you, nice to see you back xxx

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was supposed to do ovarian drilling and covered under medical insurance. Unfortunately on the day I admit, my insurance co told me that they "may" not cover as they need my doctor to certify that they have "remove" my cycst by "cutting" them. Or else, they will just treat it as infertility treatment, hence no coverage. Finally we decided to cancel the ovarian drilling on that day.. but my sister got to claim 3 years ago with ovarian drilling... :mad: :mad:

How can we "cut" the cycst out while we are having "polycycstic ovarian syndrom" and not a those BIG cycst... wonder how much they know about PCOS...

Seems like the insurance co nowdays quite smart that they can differentiate infertility treatment from other treatment..

Good luck to you Lipgloss.. hope you get ur money back soon...

NikkiUK - I don't think you can get anything out from Life Insurance as it is meant for death and permanent disabilities.. I dun think infertility can be claimed under that...

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Just wondering Sin really if anyone else had problems with getting Life Insurance coverage - I'm sure DP is ready with the meat cleaver to knock me off if we get it  ;).

I agree that all Insurance companies are getting wise and may I say crafty as hell - quick to take your money (well not in my case), but when you need them - hmmmm  :mad:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hmm always best to check your policies before signing up and if in doubt ask whether it covers certain things. Ie i know alot of companies who wont treat cancer if it's not life threatening.

Nikki. Did you ask virgin why you were refused, you are entitled to this information. As dh had cancer last year we had problems with our policies, the slippery so and sos like to slide out of anything they can wrangle their way round, so as i say its always best to check the wording on the policy and if in any doubt ask specific questions. We are very lucky that dh's best friend is an insurance broker so now sorts all of our insurance out, maybe you should try and find one? The brokers work on a system where they find you the best one for you and then the company that you take the insurance out with pays them a finders fee for finding you..so they should be no costs involved for you.Does your place of work have one they can recommend??
I have heard good things about tescos insurance,but i think it depends what you want to cover yourself for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts