Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

We are looking at cots now I'm reaching the 25 week marker (feeling a bit brave now)!!  We weren't planning on buying a crib or moses basket too, but a friend of mine said "oh you have to,  baby can't sleep in a cot until she's at least 3 months old".......so I asked my Midwife when I was at my check up who said that's total waffle, and a baby can sleep straight into a cot - however they don't like alot of space, which is why alot of people opt for a moses basket/crib in the first instance.

Can you girls let me know what your plans are - or if you already have your precious bundle(s) what you did and how you got on??

I don't want to buy a crib unless we need one for the safety of our baby.  Obviously if there is any risk of putting a baby straight into a cot we'd buy one. 

Another option is - I think we're going for the M&P 3-1 pram which has a carry cot - maybe she could sleep in there to start with?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Kim
xx

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Hi Kim

I had Joe in a moses basket when he first came home. I had the basket in his cot upstairs but used the basket downstairs during the day. You dont have to have one its your choice. The carrycot would be just as good. Your baby your choice.

Love Kimx  x x

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hi Kim

I wasn't planning on getting a moses basket (essentially for the cost v. how much time bubs is in there for) until somebody told me about the space thing.  We are getting the bugaboo frog pram and it too has a carry cot ... we asked if that would be suitable for sleeping but were told no because the mattress and base is not designed for sleeping all the time ... just occasionally.

I fell in love with a moses basket in John Lewis so we have decided to get one .... but I'm still a bit hesitant because of the cost.

Sorry if I have made things even more grey!  :-\  All the best.

Karen x

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Good point Karen

I should have thought of that one.

Love Kimx  x

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
hi kim xxx

my bean is now 6 weeks old she has slept in the moses basket since birth and I have to say it is a compete godsend.. beacause

1  of the mobility of it.. ( on wheels)
2 having it next to the bed for breast feeding...
3 she likes being in a confined space security i think
also because I had a c section the wheels and the height were perfect for me,

my ds went straight into the cot and i have to say I had no problems with that its just now I have had the moses basket I realised how easier it would have been... good luck with your choice... I would also liek to add its less washing with the moses basket .. I used a pillow case as a bottom sheet

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Hi Kim,
  Meg slept in a moses basket in my room for about three weeks, then she went into her own room. She still slept in her basket but I put it in her cot. She slept right through at four weeks. Baby's like to feel snug, but as long as you wrap them up nice and snug I am sure you shouldn't have any problem. Do you have any friends or family that you could borrow a basket off? You could have a look on ebay or in your local paper for a second hand one and then just buy a new mattress. I agree with Tinks defo less washing and using pillow cases for fitted sheets is a cheaper way of doing things (Great minds and all that ;))
Love,
Claire, :)
xxx.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi girls

Thanks ever so much for all your quick replies - especially for a weekend - you should all be having a nice lie in!!!

I think after what you've all said, we will get one and have her in our room for a while.  I've seen quite a nice one on urbannursery.co.uk which is £70, but that includes all the bedding which I didn't think was too bad.  They are fairly close to us so I can pop and have a look.

Another thing to add to the list eh!!!  (not that I'm complaining for one second, she will be worth every penny we spend on her - even if alot of it is on my credit card)!!!

Kim
xxx

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Kim

Once you have your bubs you will realise that lie ins are a thing of the past ^chuckle^ unless you have an exceptional child. :)

Joe was awake at 6.30 this morning and that was after going to bed later than usual. Enjoy them while you can.

Love Kimx x x

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Hi Kim

I don't mean to put a damper on things, but just thought I would add that we borrowed a rocking crib for our DD and put it in our room and I have to say we are glad we borrowed it as it would have been a complete waste of money.  My DD screamed everytime we put her in it and she wouldn't sleep in our room either,  so when she was 3 days old we put her in her cot bed in her own room.  We did try putting her in the rocking crib in her room first but that didn't work either.  Have to say she slept really well after that but she looked really lost in her cot bed.

We wanted to put our DD in her own room from day one but everyone kept telling us that we couldn't do that as it was cruel. 

My point is go with your gut feeling.  Every baby is different, some love moses baskets/rocking cribs and some hate them. Some babies want to be in their own room as well or you might find you can't sleep having bubs in your room.

I'm sure your baby can sleep in the carry cot if you are going for the M&P's 3 in 1 as I can remember asking them.  Check with them anyway.  Will save you money if your bubba can.

Best of luck

Terri xx

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Terri!!!

So much to think about eh!!

Kim - unfortunately I haven't had a lie in for years, our fur baby wakes me EVERY morning at 5:45 for cuddles (he's a cat!) - we've tried absolutely everything to change his pattern, but he likes to come and see me when he comes in after his night out on the tiles!

Kim
x

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hi Kim

Just to say that we never bothered with moses baskets for our two. It seemed like an unnecessary expense when we had so much other stuff to buy. Yes, Daniel and Charlotte looked very teeny in their cots at first but they were snuggled up in blankets and they always had a good night's sleep in them (Charlotte was sleeping through from 6 weeks). And it meant that they were used to their cots from the start - I have a friend whose baby became quite unsettled when moving from a moses basket to a cot.

Jules

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Awwwww well at least your used to it. ^chuckle^

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
I don't know from personnal experiance, but I did look after my niece quite a bit while she was a newborn, as my sister had PND and had to spend time in hospital with a broken leg.
Hayley had a Moses basket that had been given to her by a friend (just a tip, if you're borrowing a Moses Basket, or have been given one 2nd hand, its best to buy a new mattress, as apparently using an older mattress can be a factor in cot death - the lady in Mothercare recommended a new mattress for each baby - Hayley had one new, and now the Moses basket has been passed on to my sister, who is 32 weeks preg, and she has bought a new mattress - its only about £18 and worth it) and she slept very well in it.  My sister had the cot set up while she was a newborn, but she was terrified of all the space, and loved to be 'confined' in the moses basket. 
She slept in the Moses Basket - in the cot, until she was about 4 months old - she was a very small baby - and still is small - and the only reason we took her out was because she was trying to roll out!  ;D ;D 
I know it can be another big expense - but I believe Argos do a lovely white moses basket for about £30, which is a bargin. 
I do think it depends on each baby - but Hayley definatly loved hers!

Marie xx

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just to say I had the M&P 3 in 1 pram with a carrycot and we used the carrycot for the first few months. I bought a separate mattress for it and it was great. I found it was very useful to have something portable for Hannah to sleep in for the first few months and when breastfeeding it was much easier to have her right next to the bed. We had no trouble moving her to the cot at about 4 months, although she slept in the carrycot inside the cot at first as she looked so tiny for the cot!

Good luck with the decision you make.

Celia

·
Registered
838 Posts
Hiya

My brothers twins went straight into a cot, but they were put the other way round.... they layed width ways instead of the normal way and they were both absolutely fine! I feel that if you start them off in a cot, they don't know any different so should be fine.

I really didn't want to bother with a moses basket but have had to as the cot won't fit in our bedroom, and I want bubs next to me at night for the first few weeks.... luckly for me, my BIL is buying it for us :)

Good luck with what ever you deside.

Dawn x x

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello there!
I'm now 23 weeks (24 on wednesday!) & have also just entered this minefield of equipment!
Moses basket: A good friend has lent me hers as her baby hated it as whenever she wriggled she hit the side & woke herself up. Her 1st child however loved it.....each baby seems to be so different.
My dilemmas are prams & car seats. Has anyone found any good reviews on prams? I'm looking at the M & P 3in1 pramette (P3).
My car seat dilemma is that I'm just about to change my car to a Focus, but as yet not sure if you can get the air bag deactivated (although I can't believe its not going to be poss...surely?! ???). Should newborns be in the front or back? Not sure I like the idea of bubba being rear facing in the back where I can't see him/her?
I've entered another world!!! ;D ;D
Dorey X

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Hi Dorey

I've got the M&P Pramette and I love it.  It was really good being able to use the Pram part of it to get my DD off to sleep.  I converted it to the buggy when she was about 5 months as I think she got sick of just looking at me all the time, she wanted to see what was going on :)  I still use the M&P's over her Maclaren when I am taking her out on a walk to get her off to sleep.

Only downside is I think it is quite heavy to pick up and put in the boot of the car.  Also it is quite big compared to some prams and we struggle to get it in our boot although I think you will be OK with a Focus. 

As with car seats, we have always put my DD in the back seat and we have a big round mirror which is attached to the headrest on the backseat and we can clearly see her in it and it keeps her amused as well.  You can purchase it in Mothercare or Blooming Marvelous.  In our car we can get the front passenger air bag deactivated but this means going to the garage to get it done and back again to activate it again.  A lot of hassle really so we didn't bother!

Best of luck with your pregnancy and I hope the above helps.

Terri xx 

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Hi All

Isabelle slept in a Moses basket till almost 4 months old (shes only a little bubbs). I agree with Tinks its great when bf, saves having to walk too far! My friend lent her basket to me & I just bought a new mattress, now the basket has gone onto another of the friends. We were also lent two stands, one for upstairs and one for downstairs.

Dorey,

there are discussion boards for 'the best of...' which may help you. As for carseats, bubbs is always best of in the back of the car. I agree with Terri, its simply not worth the hassle or the cost getting airbags deactivated.

love

Camilla

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.