Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I know it is possible to use a donor egg from a sister
but is it possible in the UK to use donor sperm from a brother - I'll explain further.

My eggs are no good. I do not have a sister so I am using an egg donor.
The child born from this egg donation will never share my genetics - it will share that of the donor's and my partners obviously I will love this child with all my heart.

But I wondered; if there are some spare eggs from the donation could these be fertilized by sperm donated from my brother so I can have a child with my familiy genetics.
I don't see this as incest as it is not intercourse with my brother (yuck the thought!) and not fertilization of my own eggs - I would be the facilitator if you like.
My brother has agreed to do this.

You see my family will die out.
My mother had no siblings and only one of my father's siblings had children. I only have a brother who has not married and has no children.
My dear dad even left a large teddy for his first grandchild. To date I've traced my family back between 200 - 600 years in England and Scotland but have nobody to pass all this onto.

If this is possible I need to act fast because my brother is approaching the 45 - can you recommend a clinic?

If this is not possible in the UK why not?
And is it possible elsewhere?

Thanks,
Squeak

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Squeak

Sorry to hear about your predicament, I'm afraid I don't have the answer but if it was me I would ring the HFEA and ask for the Information Officer: Tel: 020 7291 8200. They should be able to tell you I would have thought. Goodluck and let me know how you get on.

Love Hollie

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hi Squeak
It is possible in theory to use a known sperm donor in the UK. However, many clinics are uncomfortable about doing so. Be persistent, use the HFEA list to ring round and ask all clinics you are interested in if they would consider this. London ones to try are Bridge, London Women's Clinic, Homerton and Kings College - just because they have quite liberal policies generally.
Best of luck
Olivia M
Donor Conception Network

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Hollie & Olivia,
have phoned HFEA and they are not sure. They believe that this is down to the clinic's discretion.
So will phone round as you suggest.

thnx
Squeak

1 - 4 of 4 Posts