Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Out of the blue a friend of mine has offered to be an egg donor for me. I am overwhelmed by her offer and know that I should be excited. However, when I went on the waiting list at my clinic for donor embryo I had a blood test to see if I'd had a virus called CMV (apparently very common) but my test came back negative. I was told that I could therefore only receive CMV negative embryos. The clinic had only had one lot of donated embryos that were CMV negative in the whole year so very few around.

I don't want to get my hopes up on the donor egg front until I can find out whether she would also need to be CMV negative.

Has anyone come across this before and does anyone have any answers for me please.

At 43.5 I know that donor egg is my best option! ::)

thanks and good luck to everyone
Genie

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Matching CMV is really important as if you were to have eggs from a CMV +ve woman and then contract the virus in the early stages of pregnancy, it can affect the foetal development. It about a 5-10 % risk if I remember right but any risk is not a good idea and most clinics won't go ahead in that situation.

Sarah

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Yes,

We have precisely the same problem , we too are negative and finding it hard to find a CMV negative Donor.

Good Luck

V

·
Registered
174 Posts
Genie,
Agree with Sarah.
CMV- person can only accept from CMV- donors.
CMV+ I can accept from both positive and negative donors.

Squeak

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi, Ive just discovered that problem. Im on an egg sharing programme and am sharing my eggs but am cmv+, the only problem is that all the women on the waiting list are cmv-, so I have to wait longer now to find someone who is positive.

This cmv virus is such a shame!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mariposa,
you don't neccessarily wait longer.
As a receipient I was told the average waiting time for a donor would be 2yrs. I was near the bottom of the waiting list but only 2/3 of us on the list were CMV+. An egg sharer walked through the door 4mths later. Have started treatment and my estimated date for the embryo transfer is 15th July.
Your egg sharing partner could arrive tomorrow just like mine.

Also try phoning other fertility hospitals near you - if you have eggs to share and they have a CMV+ person on their waiting - hey presto!

Good Luck & thank you for helping people like me!
Squeak

·
Registered
84 Posts
Squeak,
Just read this & see that you needed donor eggs etc.. well how did it go...
I need donor eggs & would like to chat to someone who has had this already.
Take care

1 - 7 of 7 Posts