Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

DP and I are now heading down the DE route and are currently doing our homework as to where we should go.

Can anyone advise us on clinics in Greece?

Thanks

Javlin  :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi Javlin
I have just had Ed at Serum in Greece.

It was my first attempt at ED after 9 failed IVF treatments over 6 years. I first contacted Penny ( who is a superstar and so supportive,  ^reiki^although a little crazy), in the beginning of April 2008. She gave me an appointment at the weekend which meant I didn't have to take time off work. It was really worth going there in person as it really speeded things up and I could collect the drugs, but you can  do the initial consultation over the phone/by email if you prefer.

Penny found me a blond blue eyed donor within one week. I had the ET on 7th May and now have a positive  pregnancy test, so after 6 years, hopefully this one is here to stay!  ;D.\ The whole thing cost me 5,000 Euros (which was about the same cost as normal IVF treatment in the UK plus the drugs). I was able to travel  to Athens easily and cheaply on BA and EasyJet and the clinic is near to a tube stop on the airport line ( on my ET visit I went for the day as I couldn't get anymore time off work!). Whilst I was having my first consult another English patient was there having her et she is also now pregnant.

There is another clinic which is also supposed to be very good, called the Life Clinic, Poppy on this board is using that clinic, but I chose Serum as they don't share the eggs they were only used for me and as Penny is so fantastic. Let me know if you need any more info?
Best of luck
melx ;D

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Hi Javelin,

I too have just used Serum - beware, they're soooo speedy at finding you a great donor & they have incredible results!!!!

I couldn't believe how quickly a donor was found - they've used her before & had great results.  Most of their donors are eastern European, aged about very early 20s.

The only "surprise" I had was that they really like to put back 3 embryos & will do 4 in women over 40 if you want! ^idiot^ :eek:

Penny is amazing!  She works 7 days a week & is soooo kind.  If you have to cancel, she picks up the cost of the donor's drugs herself!!!!  Can't see that happening in the UK!

Penny really is a saint - she's so caring & supportive - I received hundreds of emails from her & she always replied really quickly.

Athens itself isn't that great a place to go & stay - Barcelona is far nicer - but this clinic is so supportive & their donors are proven.

Also, my UK clinic was able to do most of my tests & scans before I went & then we just let Penny know by email or phone (she gives you her home no. & mobile nos!) & then we just went out for DH to do his "bit" on day of EC & stayed for ET.

Good luck - don't think you could go far wrong with Serum!

Love Jess xxx

·
Registered
18 Posts
hi
we are considering SErum in greece. We tried to call them but unsuccesfully. By chance you have Pennys phone number/email?
thanks

leah

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
HI Leah
Serum is closed for the month of August and penny is on hols for a couple of weeks..she is good at replying to mails, maybe leave it another week or so,
This is her e-mail address
[email protected]
good luck!  :)
Pobby xx

·
Registered
12 Posts
We are planing on going to Serum as well as soon as we can get an appointment.

I have a question and don't know where to post it.....

I need to find a clinic in London that is used to dealing with women going abroad for donor eggs who will do my tests and scans. I also need a diagnostic hysteroscopy in London.

Has anyone had good experiences with their clinic in London whilst they were doing IVF abroad????

I've heard that ISIS is a good place to go to and not too far from London but seems a bit of a schlepp. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Hi,

ISIS are fab but Colchester is a bit of a hike from London!

Mel who posts on the Serum thread used a clinic in London that was great - can't remember which one.  Sadly Mel is quite ill at the mo so she's not posted for a while but if you trawl back through her posts you'll find which clinic she used.

I've got a feeling that the Bridge Clinic might as well.

You're right in thinking you need to find a good clinic before you go, so doctors have been really awkward - which is terrible bearing in mind that Greece is in the EU so we should be able to use them!

Good luck,
Love Jess xxx

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Jess, thanks for the info, will continue to check around in london.  We are waiting to hear back from Serum and Life Centre - i'm getting the distinct feeling that people are 'migrating' from Barcelona to Athens and that there will be a big queue there now!

x

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi Brooklyn

I know Bourn Hall, near Cambridge are happy to offer tests/scans etc for egg donation overseas.  ^fairydust^  Good luck!

cr

·
Registered
274 Posts
Do any of you guys have a website for this clinic?
Thanks, Nikki

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
hi
the clinic is called Serum biomedical institute..just google it, they have a website but it isn't fantastic to be honest..(the website..the clinic is fab!) their address etc is on there though.
pobby x

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hello All

I'm researching options to have donor eggs abroad, having finally accepted it probably just isn't going to happen with my eggs.

There seem to be some great success stories here at the moment.  I'm wondering if most of you are having three (or more?) embryos transferred? 

What sort of advice are you getting from Greek clinics about this, do they encourage you to transfer three?  Have you had multiples rates quoted by clinics?

Many thanks

Mrs Cocoa

·
Registered
726 Posts
hi cocoa,
i had 3 emmbies transfered from the 6 we had to choose from on transfer day.the descion was totally up to myself and my husband after having so many negs in the past we thought we would just go for it.the dr was totally surrportive and said aslong as we where prepared for multiples he was ok with it.
as you can see im nearly 24 weeks pg with a singleton and so glad we made the descion on 3 as if we had only had 2 transfered well i don't wont to think about it.
we froze the other 3 emmbies and hope to return to athens in the future for a another go  :).
love poopy.xxx

·
Registered
78 Posts
Many thanks Poopy - congrats on your pregnancy.

Mrs Cocoa

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi Ladies,

I'm still new on this board, and a complete newbie as regards ivf tx.
My question is that i notice alot of ladies around 40s (me included) use donor eggs, but  rarely anyone mentions donor sperm. Does penny use donnor sperm? Anyone had donor sperm.

Does that mean the age of the sperm is not as important as the egg? But how can that be when they both offer half of the genetic coding? ???

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi,
yes, Penny does use donor sperm- all young Greek donors local to Athens- university students mainly. It's not so much that the age of the sperm  isn't important but because of ICSI the embryologist can pick out the most motile/well formed sperm even if the sperm count is low. In our case Penny insisted on donor sperm due to an illness in my husband's side of the family. She also found out that IVF medication does not have a good effect on me so we used an egg donor as well which we were more than happy with- am now 32 wks pregnant with twin boys. This was my 3rd treatment with her/9th IVF. Hope this helps- I cannot recommend Penny and her clinic highly enough :)
Lucy

·
Registered
63 Posts
snowpet -Wow twin boys!! soo happy for you.H&H for you. U must be estatic, i would love to have that result.

Up til now i've been very reluctant to try ivf  tx because it felt very clinical, so reliefed to have  found penny. At this early stage i don't yet if i need donor sperm but i would like to know that its available if i do.  So strange how we don't hear much about donor sperm.

i always thought that if the eqq quality is 40+, then a young sperm <35yrs would increase fertility. Or if the sperm quality is 40+, then a young egg <35 would increase fertility. Or the best scenerio if young egg & sperm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi everyone,

Has anyone here done donor embryo at Serum?  We intend to to go Spain for a donor embryo cycle and if things don't work out, Greece might be our backup plan. 

·
Super Moderator
15,891 Posts
Hi carrie - if you don't get an answer here you might want to try asking on the serum thread too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts