Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peter,

I was horrified to be told yesterday that in an egg-share cycle, preference on egg quality is given to one party. Is this the case?? Is is possible to tell before they are 'stripped down'??

I know if there is an odd number of eggs, the recipient gets the 'extra egg' so to speak, and if there are 5 or less the donor has to decide whether to keep them or donate them.

I thought I understood both perspectives regarding donating/receiving eggs, but this does make me feel very unhappy.

I look forward to your comments.

Nicky

·
Registered
856 Posts
Nicky said:
Peter,

I was horrified to be told yesterday that in an egg-share cycle, preference on egg quality is given to one party. Is this the case??

It depends on the clinic. I personally would not want to give preference to anyone and anyway we can't really tell much about egg quality just by looking at them.

Is is possible to tell before they are 'stripped down'??

No, the surrounding cells have to be removed and this enables us to spot immature eggs. Otherwise 'quality' is largely guess work.

I know if there is an odd number of eggs, the recipient gets the 'extra egg' so to speak, and if there are 5 or less the donor has to decide whether to keep them or donate them.

The are strange local rules.

I thought I understood both perspectives regarding donating/receiving eggs, but this does make me feel very unhappy.

You need to say this to your clinic.

Good luck!

Peter

I look forward to your comments.

Nicky

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Peter - we wait long enough for a donor without ladies being put off by thinking that the recipient will have preference over the eggs.

I didn't choose to use DE, I have no option. But I think some donors believe that if they have EC they should have preference. I would have been happy to get that far!

Thanks for your help anyway.

Nicky x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts