Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the real story with donor count and motility?  I was told initially that 8-12 million count with 90-100% motility (after the lab washing) was more than enough for an IUI.

I've also heard that this is not true- now I'm hearing that the count should be over 20 million with 90-100% motility (after the lab washing...)

I heard of a story where a lady got pregnant after her 5th try and the only change they made to the protocol was that their count was over 50 million washed but not sure about their motility? 

I would love to hear any thoughts, stories, etc. that might clear up this confusion...

Best wishes to everyone,
Auggie

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Oh Auggie, sorry hun I don't know, but I'd be interested to hear the answer. (I guess I have all these joys yet to come.....)
Lizi

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Auggie,
Just read your post and I know my clinic wanted a minimum of 20 million sperm after washing, not sure about motility though would assume washing gets rid of stationary ones.
Good luck
Kathyc

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm not sure about what the sperm count was for us - even though we were told each time but I know the motility has never been between 90-100% (i wish it was), I think it has been between 45-67%, which they said was good enough.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi BunBun,

I think the high percentage of motility only comes from washing and preparing the sperm.  I don't know why my lab prefers to wash it rather than leave it in its natural state?  I don't think it makes much difference as we've always had high percentage of motility but I am still not pregnant!!!

Take care!
I just read your summary and may I ask you what are collapsed follicles? 

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
I'm not really sure what the count and motility should be, but the theory behind washing is that washing removes the sperm cells from the seminal fluid and then they get put into a much smaller volume of fluid which is in fact a nutrient solution that may stimulate motility and enhance fertilization.

Jayne x

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hi,
i have had d.i.u.i today and the count was 39 million, motility not sure but would have been high I imagine as thats the point of washing it !! Good luck, i don't know whats right or wrong just thought i'd let you know what i have had ???
love tj x

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi Auggie,
Sorry for the delay - collapsed folliciles is the term my clinic used but must probably not correct. I was having scans & follies were growing & womb lining was beginning to thicken but too early for ovulating when I went back a few days later for a scan womb lining was fine but no follies at all & no lsh surge present so I couldn't have ovulated(clinic missed ovulation once before). I was given no reason why this should happen but felt so annoyed as I wasted so much money on drugs. The follies were growing & I think were over 14mm so almost there. I hope this makes sense.

Good luck with the 2ww tjmac.

Just waiting for af in the next week & then we're giving it another go.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi BunBun,

Wow, I've never heard of that happening and I'm so sorry you had to go through this as I can imagine the extreme frustration!! Did you do injectibles for stimulation when this happened?

Here's looking ahead to your next attempt that you get a BIG FAT POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!

I'm in the middle of my 2ww but I'm pretty sure this is a negative as only 1 of my 3 follies ovulated and now I'm getting all my usual period symptoms ie. cramping, my famous pimple that appears only once a month, etc.

Take Care
Auggie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts