Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am new to the site but i have posted on one of the other boards and was advised to post here.  I would like to ask if anyone has received donor sperm from SouthAfrica and was it possible to send it to a clinic in the UK?  If so, can you recommend your clinic please? I am looking for a donor who is African and unfortunately they seem scarce in the UK.

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Shad I know one of our girls on the south africa thread did donor sperm and donor egg. HOwever she did it at CFC. I dont know whether you can get donor sperm shiped out of South Africa. If you can I guess it would be very expensive to ship.

Why dont you give cape fertility clinic in cape town a call, they'd be able to tell you if it was possible.

\chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brownowl23 said:
Shad I know one of our girls on the south africa thread did donor sperm and donor egg. HOwever she did it at CFC. I dont know whether you can get donor sperm shiped out of South Africa. If you can I guess it would be very expensive to ship.

Why dont you give cape fertility clinic in cape town a call, they'd be able to tell you if it was possible.

\chris
Capefertility said they could not ship donor sperm to the UK and I should come to them for treatment. What is CFC? It is quite scary so many options yet not knowing which to pick and then add on the foreign element, which i know i will probably have to take, it becomes so confusing. How do you measure the success rate of clinics abroad? It is hard enough in th UK to get figures for women of my age

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
HI Shad

CFC is Capefertility. They are fabulous there, you get treated so differently than here. They really care about you and you dont feel like just a number like you do here.

Sucess rates are measured in the same way as over here, but overseas clinics allow you to transfer 3 embryo's and thier sucess rates are higher.

If you dont mind me asking how old are you? I am 40 and I did donor egg because my eggs were so shot, it wasnt the sperm that was the problem with the fertilisation but my eggs. DH little swimmers were more than capable of doing a good job as my ticker tells.

Chris

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Shad

Not directly relevant, but i shipped sperm from the US to Cape Fertility, using DHL. They had to use a liquid nitrogen container, and there was a deposit of (i THINK) around 800 USD. It was all handled very professionally at both ends.

I do have somewhere a list (somewhat out of date but it´ll give you an idea of whats available) of the CFC sperm donors as i originally considered using south african sperm (i decided to use american because i wanted the donor to be traceable when the child was 18). PM me if you think it would be interesting.

If it is an option to go to south africa, then CFC are brilliant. I had one IVF cycle with them that was abandoned half way through (I had a problem with my spine, nothing related to CFC) and have 11 frozen embryos with them - I go back to get some of them transferred next week.

There is, i think, another sperm bank in cape town (Vitalab maybe?) and one in Johannesburg.  Can´t remember their names.

Have you considered shipping from the US? There is a LOT of information about donors on the websites, including ethnic background - I am sure you would find some african donors.

Good luck,
Cazmoz.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cazmoz said:
Hi Shad

Not directly relevant, but i shipped sperm from the US to Cape Fertility, using DHL. They had to use a liquid nitrogen container, and there was a deposit of (i THINK) around 800 USD. It was all handled very professionally at both ends.

I do have somewhere a list (somewhat out of date but it´ll give you an idea of whats available) of the CFC sperm donors as i originally considered using south african sperm (i decided to use american because i wanted the donor to be traceable when the child was 18). PM me if you think it would be interesting.

If it is an option to go to south africa, then CFC are brilliant. I had one IVF cycle with them that was abandoned half way through (I had a problem with my spine, nothing related to CFC) and have 11 frozen embryos with them - I go back to get some of them transferred next week.

There is, i think, another sperm bank in cape town (Vitalab maybe?) and one in Johannesburg. Can´t remember their names.

Have you considered shipping from the US? There is a LOT of information about donors on the websites, including ethnic background - I am sure you would find some african donors.

Good luck,
Cazmoz.
Hi Cazmoz

I have sent you a PM. Is it not possibleto bring sperm from other countries to the UK?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If people on this site are getting treatment abroad are you being referred by your doctor?  Are there clinics in SA that are linked to clinics in the UK?  The SA clinic seems like a very good idea but how do i go about choosing the right one for me?  I feel at 45 I dont even have time to do much research.  I am not sure if i should even bother trying for a child with my own eggs at this time in my life.  can anyone suggest what i should do first eg - should i be getting hormone tests, examination?  I was told by the bridge centre that the tests they ask for can be done on the NHS but i havent yet asked my doctor since i am not sure where to start.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Shad,
You should see a OB/GYN in UK ASAP.  Explain your situation and am sure the Dr will advise what your options are.  You can have a FSH blood test done which gives a good indication of the quality of your eggs.  CFC may not need a referral from your UK Dr once you can send them the necessary results.  At 36, my eggs were also not the best and so opted for DE.  CFC is a worldclass clinic, so no need to worry about their standards. You could ask them what tests you should get and then have them done in UK.
Hope this help and good luck.
mo

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Hi Shad

I was a bridge centre.

At your age I would ask your doctor for FSH, LH and progesterone tests, this will determine your egg reserve. Your chances of conceiving aas I am sure the bridge centre told you are about 2% at that age with your own eggs.

I had two goes at IVF with my own eggs at bridge centre and got 4 embryos and two embryos all poor quality. I made the decision at age 39 not to waste any more time with my own eggs and go straight to Donor Eggs and for me it was the best decision I made and I wish I had done it earlier.

CFC will tell you what tests they need which will include hormone tests but as with UK clinics too it wil also include Hepetitus, HIV and Syphilus.

chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
brownowl23 said:
Hi Shad

I was a bridge centre.

At your age I would ask your doctor for FSH, LH and progesterone tests, this will determine your egg reserve. Your chances of conceiving aas I am sure the bridge centre told you are about 2% at that age with your own eggs.

I had two goes at IVF with my own eggs at bridge centre and got 4 embryos and two embryos all poor quality. I made the decision at age 39 not to waste any more time with my own eggs and go straight to Donor Eggs and for me it was the best decision I made and I wish I had done it earlier.

CFC will tell you what tests they need which will include hormone tests but as with UK clinics too it wil also include Hepetitus, HIV and Syphilus.

chris
I have pushed having to get double donation to the back of my mind - trying to find donor sperm is confusing and then add to that donor eggs! I guess i need to sit down and talk about my options with someone off line since i know my chances are poor with my own eggs but i want to try once. In the last few days i have become consumed with this issue and i cant think straight at work. I also need to get tested in order to understand what treatment is best for me.

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Shad

If ya want someone to talk to give me a PM and you can call me or if you are in London then we may be able to meet up if you want info on CFC and the donor egg experience

Chris

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello dear Shad,
Please sit and meditate a little bit. Try and be calm. Take some time out. Treat yourself to doing your favorite relaxing thing. Try and quieten a little.... I know it is easier said than done when we are looking to become mums. I felt the same way as you did at one time.

Find someone you can trust to talk to. It is too much to keep inside. I spoke to all my friends. I did loose some. The real friends remain. So try and find someone you trust to talk to.

There is great hope. We do have many options that ladies of our our mothers, grand mothers and great grand mothers generations did not have.

Many of the ladies here are going through the same/ similar things as you. We do have advice and support to give you.

You still have options.

Break it down to simple steps. First, find out what your fertility health is.
You just need to do the few little tests that have been suggested to you.
Try and focus on waiting for the results of those tests first.

When you have done this you will be able to narrow the options down. The mountain starts to look smaller.

Speak to both the friendly clinics in the London are to find out if they have sperm donors you are looking for. Like I said I went to LWC and they indicated that they do have the donor characteristics you are looking for.

Otherwise, have you considered taking a known donor to a clinic to provide samples for you?
Would you be happy to use African Carribean or mixed African/ European donors. Remember within African families people can be olive skinned to deep brown in complexion.

Most of all, remember to be kind to yourself. You are the most important person on all of this... You are here....

Calm.

Big hug ^Cuddle^

Adelphi ^fairydust^

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
brownowl23 said:
Shad

If ya want someone to talk to give me a PM and you can call me or if you are in London then we may be able to meet up if you want info on CFC and the donor egg experience

Chris
Hi Chris thanks for the response - i may well take you up on your offer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Adelphi said:
Hello dear Shad,
Please sit and meditate a little bit. Try and be calm. Take some time out. Treat yourself to doing your favorite relaxing thing. Try and quieten a little.... I know it is easier said than done when we are looking to become mums. I felt the same way as you did at one time.

Find someone you can trust to talk to. It is too much to keep inside. I spoke to all my friends. I did loose some. The real friends remain. So try and find someone you trust to talk to.

There is great hope. We do have many options that ladies of our our mothers, grand mothers and great grand mothers generations did not have.

Many of the ladies here are going through the same/ similar things as you. We do have advice and support to give you.

You still have options.

Break it down to simple steps. First, find out what your fertility health is.
You just need to do the few little tests that have been suggested to you.
Try and focus on waiting for the results of those tests first.

When you have done this you will be able to narrow the options down. The mountain starts to look smaller.

Speak to both the friendly clinics in the London are to find out if they have sperm donors you are looking for. Like I said I went to LWC and they indicated that they do have the donor characteristics you are looking for.

Otherwise, have you considered taking a known donor to a clinic to provide samples for you?
Would you be happy to use African Carribean or mixed African/ European donors. Remember within African families people can be olive skinned to deep brown in complexion.

Most of all, remember to be kind to yourself. You are the most important person on all of this... You are here....

Calm.

Big hug ^Cuddle^

Adelphi ^fairydust^
My doctor is sending me for some of the tests that the clinics recommend which will be my first mountain. I am looking for a donor who is african/african-caribbean/african-american by both parents and will speak to LWC but unless they work with overseas clinics i dont hold out much hope.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I'm new to this site. I have been going to a sperm bank in Johannesburg called Cryobank. The website is www.cryobank.co.za On it, it says that they will ship donor sperm anywhere in the world. The last time I was there, there were four to six African donors. You can see the list  on the website. You can also call them direct - the guy to speak to is Abry Loubser, who is very sweet and helpful. They're normally quite efficient and you could probably organise it quite quickly.

Good luck
Jennifer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jennifergeel said:
Hi. I'm new to this site. I have been going to a sperm bank in Johannesburg called Cryobank. The website is www.cryobank.co.za On it, it says that they will ship donor sperm anywhere in the world. The last time I was there, there were four to six African donors. You can see the list on the website. You can also call them direct - the guy to speak to is Abry Loubser, who is very sweet and helpful. They're normally quite efficient and you could probably organise it quite quickly.

Good luck
Jennifer
Hi Jennifer, I looked on the site but cant find any information about their donors

1 - 16 of 16 Posts