Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd post my birth story partly to let it out (so to speak) and partly as a word of warning for anyone who finds themself in a similar situation.

After a couple of weeks maternity leave spent running around trying to get the house sorted out after renovations and getting prepared for baby's arrival I finally managed to fit in my 'Mum to be' pampering session that I had a voucher for. After getting waxed and massaged to within an inch of my life I left the salon joking that now that I had been pampered baby could come anytime - two minutes later I coughed and felt a bit of a leak. I was pretty sure it was my waters as I had had a show at 11am that morning.

I managed to drive home without flooding the car but when I stepped out onto the drive it started gushing. I decided to let them go there rather than flood the house so stood on the doorstep hoping that none of the neighbours were watching and thinking I was wetting myself  :-[ .

I called the hospital and they said to come in for a check - I had no pains or contractions at all at this point, 3.30pm. Went to hospital 4.15 and was monitored, bloods taken and an exam and swab done. At 5pm I started having period pains which by 5.30 were obvious contractions and 5 mins apart. 7pm Having told the midwife this she decided to keep me in overnight as I was 'niggling' - I wouldn't call 5 mins apart niggling!

Was moved to the ward with the contactions getting stronger and by 9pm 3 mins apart when they decided to send DH home as they 'didn't have facilities for partners' (even though I was in a private room). I insisted they checked what was happening first as we live 30 mins from the hospital. When she checked I was 2cm so I couldn't really argue.

After trying a bath (made the contractions much worse) and diamorphine (didn't help at all) and panicking that if it was this sore at 2 cm what would it be like later on  :eek: , I started to fell that pushing would help the contraction, but thought if I'm only 2cm I shouldn't be pushing yet so was trying to stop myself which invloved shouting NO atg the top of my voice with every contraction  ^idiot^ a nurse eventually heard me and decided to check on me  at about 1pm (I had been left since 10.30).

When they examined me I was fully dilated and ready to go. I shouted to call DH but they said they had to get me downstairs first (why the other staff who were sat around the nurses station couldn't call him I don't know). I got downstairs and they phoned DH and told him the degree of urgency. The midwife was encouraging me to push and I was telling them I couldn't until DH got there but they asked me to do one push to see how easy the head would move down as they could already see it. I gave a big push and baby was on its way. I was still trying to hold back but now baby was getting distressed during the contractions so I had to push him out before DH could get there.

Despite breaking the sound barrier and making it to the hospital in 12 minutes DH missed the birth of his son. The only grace was that I asked not to know the sex until DH arrived so we could find out together but it's hardly the same.

With my first I had a planned section and were so well looked after by the hospital so this was a bit of a shock. The end result was obviously worth it as we have a healthy happy 8lb 4oz boy but his fast delivery meant I spent labour alone and  had lots of stitches which were uncomfortable for a few days.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Oh hun, i'm so sorry you had a disappointing experience...  ^bigbad^ those nurses!  Its lovely that you were able to find out the sex together - well done on being so restrained.

Congratulations on the birth of your precious boy, enjoy every minute.

Bev xx

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I'm sorry that this wasn't the experience you were hoping for.  Good that everyone is safe and sound.

Perhaps talk to your midwife about some kind of birth counselling, some hospitals have it, and for those that have had some sort of trauma it helps tremendously.  It wasn't until about a year after Marcus arrived that I talked about some things that I realised had affected me quite a lot about his delivery.

^hugme^

Jane
xxx

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Doods - Hun I'm so sorry that labour was not as it should have been for you this time. But huge congrats on the wonderful birth of Issac  :)
love Charlie xxx

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Hi Doods

I'm so sorry to hear that your dh missed the birth of your son. These 2nd and subsequent babies don't like to hang around. My dh very nearly missed the birth of our ds2 but literally ran through the door as I was pushing his head out. My friend had her 3rd just after christmas and her dh didn't make it in time either. Although my dh was with me 3rd time, our bubs arrived in under an hour too.

Big hugs for you  ^hugme^ but also a huge congatulations on the birth of your son  :)

S xxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts