Do I need a double/tandem buggy?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
The factors.....
By the time little one arrives DD will be just turned 2.
I have a back problem and will probably be unable to carry LO or DD for extended periods.
I'm also short and have problems reaching over buggy boards!
We are going on holiday (to Cornwall)when LO is only 5wks old!
I already have a travel system (which I love) and a lightweight buggy too!

Do I go 'double buggy' umbrella fold? I'll probably have to buy new which at the cheapest will be £80 plus cosy toes etc.

Or do I buy my neighbour's 'Phil and Teds' with doubles kit for only £50?

TBH I don't really like tandem buggies normally because I think the one in the back gets a really raw deal and because they are harder to steer (causing my back to play up). I've also been put off P&T by friends who say they are too heavy and take up way to much space in the car but £50 seems a bit of a bargin.

What do you think?

Lizi.x

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Hi Lizi,

I would say you most definately need a double pushchair  :)

I have the same buggyboard dilema as you. I am short-ish at 5'4" and get chronic back ache every time I try and push with a board on the pushchair, I find it also makes it difficult to push.

Even if DD 2 and walking well, if you are on your own and in town etc or walking along a busy road, I feel you need the security of having them strapped in. Lucas is 2 tomorrow and this is no way on this planet I would try and walk anywhere with him not strapped in if I was on my own.

I would say for £50 get the P&T. I'm not a fan either of that very low bottom seat and also the cocoon for new babies but for £50 that's a bargain  ;) If you find you don't really need the use of a double for that long then you've not spent out much. I love my Powertwin but that's even bigger than a P&T so no good for you. I've been toying with a MaClaren Twin Techno buggy (need as much boot space as poss for hols) until I tried Lucas and Rory in one in Mothercare - having 2 of different ages in a side by side makes for hard manoevourability and balance when compared with a tandem.

S xxxx

PS - Question for P&T users - my friend has had to stop using the cocoon at 4m (baby just went mental every time she was in there) but has put baby in the bottom seat. She looked so uncomfortable and slopping around and it just looked sooooo wrong. I did say to her that I thought once you stop using the cocoon then baby goes up front and toddler goes in the bottom seat?

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
We have the P&T and have to say it is heavy with 2 (practiced with my nephew!) But is less combersome than a traditional 'side by side' buggy, especially if you plan to go to the beach, walking or round shops (aaggghhh!).

Amy is just at the stage where she wants to walk so I suspect by the time we need a doble she will only want to be in th epushchair when tired - in which case I'd rather be pushing a half empty P&T than my old double p/chair.

Just my 2 pennies
Deb

p.s. £50 is a bargain!!!!

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
I've just bourght a P&T will be 19 months between mine

£50 is a bargin I'd go for that, I've heard the same as Shelly says about things like the twin techno.  I had my doubts about the P&T but think it will be the best for me as not pushing a half empty double buggy can remove the seat if I don't need it. I still not sure about the caccoon didn't get one with mine and can't decide what to do if only lasts 3 months or so may look for a 2nd hand one

Shelly will friends LO lay down where the caccon was?? I've heard of people not using the caccoon and LO laying there.  the haveist child should always be on the top less of a tip risk, but she could try it with older one below I've seen them being pushed like that

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
I have been having the exact same dilemma  :-\  I know I don't want a side by side and think we have pretty much settled on the idea of a P&T because for little trips out we don't have to have the doubles kit on and it will be like having a single but for serious days out etc we can have the double bit on for them both to sit in  :)  DH just wanted to go for the buggy board option but he won't be the one going out with two kids alone  ???  I figure that the P&T is a good way to go as the second hand values are good (have been watching on ebay and haven't seen one go for less than £200) - so £50 from your neighbour is an absolute bargain - as you say you can't even get a cheap double umbrella fold for that price!

Fluffs xxx

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
I agree on the re-sale value been watching quite a few and some were selling on there for nearly what I've paid new. so £50 is a very good price

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I have 16 months between my two and bought a Maclaren twin techno. For the price it's a great pushchair and was the best side by side that I found for the seats lying flat, but there are a lot of disadvantages to it - it folds small but is very long (only just goes in my Picasso but I had to take the boot box thing out), you have to use both hands to push it, it's heavy especially with a toddler in it, the seats look a bit cramped once your LO gets a bit bigger. Tbh it didn't get used a great deal so whether you need one or not really depends on how much walking you do I think. I used it the first few months but then put J on a wrist to wrist strap or he sits on the bar across the top of our Graco single. What travel system do you have? Is there anywhere on there that can double up as a make do 'seat'??

Chux xx

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts