Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I wonder if anybody could give me an idea of how much an initial consultation would cost with Dr Beer.  We've had all the immunology blood tests done by Dr George in Notts, and I would like a second opinion from Dr Beer on the results.  I had heard that he's more expensive than the usual cost, but just wondered how much?

Hazel

·
Registered
957 Posts
Hi Hazel

I did the exact same route- it cost me £300 for the initial consult with Dr Beer - then another fortune for the extra tests he wanted done: all sorts of things that CARE hasn't done.

There is a lab in London near the clinic where you will see DB that does all the tests, so make sure you get a morning appointment with Dr Beer - preferably on Mon, tue or wed as they can send bloods done on these days to the chicago lab if he wants extra immune tests...which he will....always!

anyway, getting the bloods done in London will save you a huge amount of effort and cost compared with CARE doing them, so just go for it. Ask Thomas (Dr Beer's side kick!) when he calls you with the appointment time, to arrange things so you can get any extra tests done at the same time.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes and Happy Christmas

Kate

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kate,

Thanks for the information - I didn't realise that the initial consultation will cost that much!  But it's got to be worth it in the long run. Do you think I'll have to have the blood tests done all over again by Dr Beer or will he use the results that I have from the previous tests?  I don't really fancy going through all that again, especially the cost of them which was £1000 at Care in Notts.

Hazel

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Kate,

Sorry - another question!!  Do you still have a lot of contact with Dr Beer during treatment??? I was under the impression that once you'd had the initial consultation he passes you over the the ARGC and advises them on what to do next, and they take over from there????

Did you also have the blood tests done in Chicago with Care, and then swapped to Dr Beer - was there any particular reason for this (I hope you don't mind me asking)??? 

Hazel

·
Registered
957 Posts
Hi Hazel

I had the tests done at CARE then saw Db and he repeated them all - but they were much cheaper when done directly.

I am not under ARGC as I am not london based and have been doing all the drugs etc myself, although prescribed by DB. I have been trying naturally not IVF etc so haven't needed to go anywhere for scans etc.

DB only gives as much contact during treatment as you ask for - usually by email - towhich he replies usually within 24-48 hours. There certainly sin't a structured review appointment system, just a list of dates to be retested and then contact afterwards with instructions what to do next although I have mostly had to chase this advice up myself.

My advice would be to do either ARGC route with DB input or to stick with CARE after you have got DB's advice. Don't try to do it yourself as I have. It makes it feel a lot more chaotic and scary.

ARGC gets a lot of positive comments on FF so maybe do that if you can - although the costs of travelling to London (in time and money) may be prohibitive.

Good luck with your choices though- hard, isn't it.

Love
Kate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts